FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · small master flash?

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · small master flash?

Hi guys,

do any of you know of any 3RD PARTY flashguns that are SMALL and can MASTER ettl ?

I know the canon master capable flashes but im not sure of any 3rd party (ie cheaper) options.

im looking for a small gun that can travel with me if i get a 5D3 . now i know i could get a 270ex or 320ex to fit that use but it would be nice if it could be a master as well like the onboard of my 7D is .

yes i know the little 90ex from the M can master (and if need be ill get that) but I was looking for something with a little bit more power (at least the 270ex )

cheeers

Oh and yes i know the ST-e2 is the master . but that still means i need a little flash as well .

Sep 23, 2013 at 04:41 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · small master flash?

I don't know the answer and will be interested, but if you are going to want it as a master then you are obviously also going to need a gun to act as a slave so you'll have to carry that as well so you'll need some sort of bag so the size of the master is not that significant no?

what about one of the v cheap ST-E2 clones plus something like a used 430EX?

Sep 23, 2013 at 05:06 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · small master flash?

Ive got the slave(s) . I have a 580 and have access to a couple more .

there are many times i dont pack the 580 as its just a bit big . a 430 (non master) is smaller but not by much .

there are many times the onboard has got me out of a hole when i just wanted a bit of fill . not ideal i know but better than nout .

so without the onboard Im needing a small flash . IE RD2000 / 270 etc . now if it could master as well then alls the better .

I know i could pick up a st-e2 (or clone) and a something else . or find a 90ex .

I know the 90 is small and designed for the M but you do wonder why canon bothered to put a slave mode on the 270 mk2 when a master mode would have been better . that could have been the ST-e2's replacement .

oh well

Sep 23, 2013 at 05:23 AM
Poff Photo
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · small master flash?

I bought a 90ex for my girlfriend's EOS-M and I was impressed - so compact!

Then I picked one up for my 5DIII and took it on vacation - when the sun was setting - it provided the fill for this shot...

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1238135/0#11778542

Sep 23, 2013 at 06:25 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · small master flash?

I have to admit I did not know the 90EX worked with ordinary dslrs and it seems that will do everything Ian wants except have more power (as he said)

Sep 23, 2013 at 06:31 AM
Bacalhau
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · small master flash?

For a bit more money, you can get the 270EX ll...the tilt-head it's a plus for me.
And I can use it to trigger a 550EX II set in slave mode

Sep 23, 2013 at 08:58 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · small master flash?

Bacalhau wrote:
For a bit more money, you can get the 270EX ll...the tilt-head it's a plus for me.
And I can use it to trigger a 550EX II set in slave mode

The 270 is not an ethyl master so I presume your triggering the 550 in manual ?

Sep 23, 2013 at 09:27 AM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · small master flash?

nope: I used the remote trigger on the 270 to actuate the 5Dmk2 with the 550 attached on the body mount (set as slave) - yes both flashes will fire

Sep 23, 2013 at 01:47 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · small master flash?

Bacalhau wrote:
nope: I used the remote trigger on the 270 to actuate the 5Dmk2 with the 550 attached on the body mount (set as slave) - yes both flashes will fire

I must be being stupid tonight but are you saying you trigger a 5D2 to take a pic by triggering it with a 270EXII ? If so why can't you just use one of the wireless remotes?

What is it you are achieving here?

Sep 23, 2013 at 02:01 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · small master flash?

David your not being stupid , I think we've entered a parallel universe

Sep 23, 2013 at 03:07 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · small master flash?

Bacalhau wrote:

Sorry but that's not remotely (pun intended) what I'm talking about .

What your doing is using the IR remote on the 270ex2 which is the same as the rc1 / rc6 to trigger the camera (you need a IR remote capable body for this so most rebels and video capable 'semi pro' bodies but not the 1 series ) which is triggering the 550 flash in the same way as just pressing the shutter button . The 550 will have to be set to master which is then triggering the slave in the 270ex2

What I'm on about is a small master than can trigger slaves when mounted to the hot shoe . But can also be a small fill in flash when I don't have the bigger guns with me .

It's not looking like anything other than the 90ex can do this . Maybe I'll just get a 270 and find a cheap clone st-e2

Sep 23, 2013 at 03:44 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · small master flash?

Thanks for the clarification, I am learning a lot, I didn't know the 270EXII had the same signal output as a remote. I still can't quite see why it would ever be necessary, but never mind.

If I understand correctly (likely not) the 90EX won't fire AND be a trigger so it won't do what you want but a 270EX II will. It also bounces quite nicely, I have a 270EX I with a little omnibounce which is quite useful

The ST-E2 clones are about £70 from HK but there's at least one used on UK ebay now

Sep 24, 2013 at 02:43 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · small master flash?

dhphoto wrote:
Thanks for the clarification, I am learning a lot, I didn't know the 270EXII had the same signal output as a remote. I still can't quite see why it would ever be necessary, but never mind.

If you have your camera on a tripod and want to hand hold the 270 II off camera it's a handy feature. You don't have to be within finger range of the shutter.

Sep 24, 2013 at 04:29 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · small master flash?

But wouldn't the flash (and therefore the sensor on the front of the flash) have to be pointing at the camera to trigger it? If you pointed it at a wall to bounce light it wouldn't fire the camera, at least the handheld remote wouldn't, it has to be at the front of the camera pointing right at the red dot

Sep 24, 2013 at 04:37 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · small master flash?

Yeah the remote thing on the 270ex2 seems pretty pointless considering you can use a rc1/rc6 to do exactly the same thing .
I can't think of many occasions when I have wanted to away from the camera to become a 'human light stand '

As far as the 90ex goes as far as I can see its the same as having a popup onboard flash , so will fire and can be a master .

But I think I'm leaning toward a 270 as my go anyway 'just in case' flash and I may pick up a st-e2 clone on eBay . Although thinking about it those yunguno radio triggers may be a better option for that

Sep 24, 2013 at 07:01 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · small master flash?

Well I bought the mark 1 270EX about a month before the version II came out (typically) but I can recommend it, it's a better gun than my Sunpak RD2000 and not much bigger. The version II is much the same with more features and seems good value now.

As you know on the new bodies you can set it for high speed sync, but sadly not on older ones.

Sep 24, 2013 at 07:06 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · small master flash?

Yep I think its the better option . I know you liked the rd2000 so to say the 270 is better is a nice endorsment

As for HSS and older bodies , well its nice to know I won't have an issue as my current 7D and possible 5D3 are both nice and new

Sep 24, 2013 at 08:32 AM
Bacalhau
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · small master flash?

dhphoto wrote:
I must be being stupid tonight but are you saying you trigger a 5D2 to take a pic by triggering it with a 270EXII ? If so why can't you just use one of the wireless remotes?

What is it you are achieving here?

getting the flash burst directed in an angle that no tripod can achieve - at least not easly.
There are no cheap or easy ways around... that I know about,.but wonder if some of those hot shoe remote controls might do the trick for you.
I think the 1Dx has remote flash triggering capabilities - the older 1D series not at all. I have a third party wireless remote - hot-shoe mount that works with the flash or just with the 1Dsmk3

Sep 24, 2013 at 08:52 AM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · small master flash?

Ian, I don't know of any "small" flash that can do this, sadly.

I keep an ST-E2 around for those times when I don't need or want to lug the Pocket Wizards. It's not big and doesn't weigh very much, and as a consolation, you can use it to get something small like a 270EX off of your camera to improve your shots even when you are traveling light. In fact, it's easier to pack than an OC-E3. It also provides a useful focus assist light for shooting in dim interiors when you are not using flash.

The only major capability you lose using the ST-E2 (or any Canon master flash) vs. Pocket Wizards or a cord is 2nd curtain sync.

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:53 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · small master flash?

garyvot wrote:
Ian, I don't know of any "small" flash that can do this, sadly.

I keep an ST-E2 around for those times when I don't need or want to lug the Pocket Wizards. It's not big and doesn't weigh very much, and as a consolation, you can use it to get something small like a 270EX off of your camera to improve your shots even when you are traveling light. In fact, it's easier to pack than an OC-E3. It also provides a useful focus assist light for shooting in dim interiors when you are not using flash.

The only major capability
...Show more

AFAIK a 270EX can't be a slave, only the 270EX II can

Sep 24, 2013 at 02:06 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.