end

Archive 2013 · A fragment of Hokkaido with S5Pro and Zeiss

Krosavcheg
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · A fragment of Hokkaido with S5Pro and Zeiss

monk3y1101 wrote:
Right smack in Tokyo

It's literally a walking distance to all the places..

Sep 29, 2013 at 07:52 AM
monk3y1101

p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · A fragment of Hokkaido with S5Pro and Zeiss

Krosavcheg wrote:
It's literally a walking distance to all the places..

Haha well depends how far you do you consider "walking distance" I guess

Btw, love the 19 image stitch!!

Sep 29, 2013 at 08:29 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · A fragment of Hokkaido with S5Pro and Zeiss

I like em (literally liked first post ).

Reds shift towards magenta in ACR/LR, but its just way they interpret colors, some other converters give perfectly fine colors. Will buy a bottle of Nuka Cola and shoot it.

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:30 AM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · A fragment of Hokkaido with S5Pro and Zeiss

monk3y1101 wrote:
Haha well depends how far you do you consider "walking distance" I guess

Btw, love the 19 image stitch!!

Cheers mate.
Well, I tend to rent a car and head out for few days at a time. Just came back from Fukushima hike (not the power plant, but Oze national park)... So walking distance is perhaps to car rental..hehe

Mescalamba:

Thank you. S5Pro does not disappoint colour and dynamic range wise - very rich.
Added bonus is ability to recover a lot from highlights/shadows so I can get away with forgetting Lee filter set..
The red crab shot actually was unprocessed and imho pushed reds towards orange. Then again, the light was unbalanced tungsten. If you compare it with the crane shot - reds are completely different and indeed shift towards magenta/purple but probably more so because of my pp...

Sep 29, 2013 at 08:21 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · A fragment of Hokkaido with S5Pro and Zeiss

Love the original series, that 25mm is really shining in your hands. Looks like great birding country too !

We've just come back from a 4 night break in Osaka / Kyoto where the 21mm was perfect for all those temples/shrines/castles.

Sep 29, 2013 at 08:44 PM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · A fragment of Hokkaido with S5Pro and Zeiss

Frogfish wrote:
Love the original series, that 25mm is really shining in your hands. Looks like great birding country too !

We've just come back from a 4 night break in Osaka / Kyoto where the 21mm was perfect for all those temples/shrines/castles.

Thank you very much!
I haven't been to Kyoto for nearly 3 years now, but the place must still be just as classic.
Did you get to see Phoenix Hall in Uji? Looking forward to seeing the shots!
I shot with using EF16-35/2.8L during my which was absolutely horrid - I really need to get back and re-shoot a lot..

The 25/2.8 is really easy to focus, or at least I find it really easy. The only challenge is when separation between background and subject is required - it is equally easy to miss.

Sep 29, 2013 at 09:30 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · A fragment of Hokkaido with S5Pro and Zeiss

Krosavcheg wrote:
Thank you very much!
I haven't been to Kyoto for nearly 3 years now, but the place must still be just as classic.
Did you get to see Phoenix Hall in Uji? Looking forward to seeing the shots!
I shot with using EF16-35/2.8L during my which was absolutely horrid - I really need to get back and re-shoot a lot..

The 25/2.8 is really easy to focus, or at least I find it really easy. The only challenge is when separation between background and subject is required - it is equally easy to miss.

Unfortunately time was limited (as was my wife's patience with my photographing temples/shrines and girls in traditional kimonos) So I didn't get to Uji. With over 2,000 temples/shrines Kyoto is an amazing place. I certainly found it a more enjoyable and traditional, though still modern, city to Osaka.

No problem focusing the 21mm, infinity comes into play at 2m so then it was just a case of trying to work out where the hyperfocal lays. I just love this lens !

First shot of Kyoto (Golden Pavilion) processed (after finally solving Lightroom's refusal to export anything for the past few days ! ). The 'better' vantage point (clean shot of the temple with no trees in the way) was unfortunately facing directly into the sun - so anyone going here should plan their visit very carefully, something we didn't do !

Oct 01, 2013 at 09:03 PM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · A fragment of Hokkaido with S5Pro and Zeiss

I know the feeling.
That's why mine is staying at home when I am going travelling - I have very little patience for people holding me back..

In regard to the results, it seems like we all have two alternatives - either accept the results when presented with uncontrollable variables, or ensure all the variables are in place at the time of shooting. Latter generally requires long research trips and "spawn camping" on location for weeks on end..
Taking into account the limited time during travels and added female nag, it is impossible.

But your shot is absolutely beautiful, so you nailed it..

Oct 02, 2013 at 09:49 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · A fragment of Hokkaido with S5Pro and Zeiss

Truly beautiful photography. If we had a bowling alley like that around here I might take up the game. In a former lifetime/job I had to travel to Japan regularly (probably 8x total). Due to the requirements of the work (and the attitude of the employer) I never got out of Osaka. I knew there was beautiful country out there, but I suspect judging Japan by Osaka would be similar to assuming the USA was NYC.

Thanks for the beautiful work.

Robert

Oct 02, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · A fragment of Hokkaido with S5Pro and Zeiss

Ontherez: Thank you very much. Glad you liked the shots. The country is beautiful indeed, but you might have gotten a better end of a stick than if you would had to spend all this time in Tokyo. Osaka people are more relaxed and are friendlier in general.
I recommend dropping by again anyway..

Oct 02, 2013 at 08:23 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · A fragment of Hokkaido with S5Pro and Zeiss

Krosavcheg,

Getting to the beautiful parts of Japan remains high on my list of things I'd really like to do. Unfortunately my survival of the recent "economic comedy" left me working with a much reduced cash flow. Haven't figured out how to con my way onto a JAL flight

I'd been warned how "rude" Japanese people supposedly were in public (likely from a xenophobic colleague) and was actually struck by the general pleasantness of most I encountered. Of course all the business stuff was very formal even stylized, but in wandering about Osaka I had numerous people stop me and "practice" their English on me. My Japanese wasn't much beyond please and thank you which will actually get you a long ways in most cultures.

The one thing I didn't get use to was the extraordinarily different sense of personal space. I grew up in the Colorado high country and thus require an unreasonable amount of room around me to feel comfortable. In Japan I often stood closer to strangers than I do to my own family. Very interesting.

So anyway, I'll have to enjoy the beauty of Japan from the wonderful pix here.

Robert

Oct 03, 2013 at 03:52 PM
Krosavcheg
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · A fragment of Hokkaido with S5Pro and Zeiss

I am afraid I will probably chime on with your colleague.. I find them exceptionally rude, but perhaps this is due to the drumming up of their image as polite and well mannered which doesn't cover 99% of philistines - An average joe is average no matter the country.
On the xenophobia, I hardly found any nation at all taking this much offence in being mistaken with a neighbouring nation. I hope you understand what I am implying.

As for Japan visit, perhaps one day then!

Oct 03, 2013 at 11:57 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.