Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · The worlds worst Uncle Bob Moment

jefferies1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · The worlds worst Uncle Bob Moment

Yes for talking to uncle Bob but I would not have mentioned it to the Bride. too late to fix and just upsets the rest of the day for her. Maybe the MOH who could tell het the next day. A lot has to do with your relationship with the bride. Only you can make that call.

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:58 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · The worlds worst Uncle Bob Moment

That story is frickin' #cringeworthy!

On a side note, when I can't get a request shot (maybe a detail wasn't available, or the timeline ran late, or an aunt ran away to the reception instead of sticking around) I ALWAYS tell the couple immediately. The hustle and bustle of the day usually keeps them preoccupied. Plus, I have my second shooter or a MOH or Bestman standing near me to overhear the conversation, so I have a witness as a back-up.

You did the right thing. Had you waited, you may have had angry clients who never saw the uncle and would have been pissed you didn't tell them to sit down or that you couldn't professionally just roll with the punches. The fact that you had a bridesmaid see the whole thing definitely made a difference.

On a side note, how did the couple not see Uncle McD-Bag when he was right up in the front row? If it was my wedding I've have told him to sit the heck down.

Sep 23, 2013 at 12:57 PM
wishdiver

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · The worlds worst Uncle Bob Moment

I have no idea how they did not see him other than they were looking at each other and the officiant (who by the way left within minutes of the ceremony).

Sep 23, 2013 at 02:39 PM
wishdiver

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · The worlds worst Uncle Bob Moment

I do have to say the only thing I could think of when the Uncle looked at me and said he had every dam right to be there as the video of the priest scolding the photographers

Sep 23, 2013 at 03:23 PM
MazeRunner
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · The worlds worst Uncle Bob Moment

Did you try getting an assistant to talk to the mom/dad of the bride who was the uncle's sibling? What a fruitcake (meant to say something meaner... but yeah) uncle.

You, sir, were saving her dad non-stop and then the uncle has the audacity to just try to ruin his niece's big day. I personally after asking him nicely (and bride's parents also, if I could quickly enough--which sounds unlikely in your case as the B+G were about to come) would just ask him again loudly so at least a few of the bridesmaids, groomsmen, and guests could overhear. And to do it quickly before the B+G gets in.

"Sir, I'm sorry but we need to take professional photos and video. Would you please be so kind as to sit down and enjoy the ceremony?

He responds about his rights?

"Your enormous iPod will ruin your niece's photos. But if you insist, I won't be able to leave you out of the photos." Very loudly.

Better to have uncle embarrassed and stay out of your way than to worry about what he says about you afterwards as long as there are witnesses to him being a huge jackass while you were trying to do your job. There are some people who just don't learn who you need to force their hand.

Sep 23, 2013 at 05:04 PM
ChrisZeh

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · The worlds worst Uncle Bob Moment

I photograph weddings as well and with everyone having iphones, ipads and affordable prosumer dslr's along with higher end PnS's there's no less then 100 people per event taking photos. If you present yourself professionally and show that you're in charge the guests will see that. I'm coming up to my 48th wedding for the year and I only had one issue with a guest. As soon as I said something he wasn't a problem. As far as the bridal party leaving after the ceremony that's on you. You need to make it clear to all of them that you need photos and not to go anywhere. You should've pulled them all off the bus. Its your responsibility to get the shots especially if you're being paid $5k for the day.

Sep 23, 2013 at 06:21 PM
wishdiver

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · The worlds worst Uncle Bob Moment

ChrisZeh wrote:
I photograph weddings as well and with everyone having iphones, ipads and affordable prosumer dslr's along with higher end PnS's there's no less then 100 people per event taking photos. If you present yourself professionally and show that you're in charge the guests will see that. I'm coming up to my 48th wedding for the year and I only had one issue with a guest. As soon as I said something he wasn't a problem. As far as the bridal party leaving after the ceremony that's on you. You need to make it clear to all of them that you
...Show more

I appreciate your input and see what you are referring too on a regular basis. This is by far not my first wedding (probably done 500 + personally and our company does 120+ per year) however it is the first time that I had a guest go down the aisle and get in front of the first row and do something like this. Taking the money out of it I still have to follow the direction and wishes of the party. More importantly I do not want to overly engage the guests in a potentially negative and unprofessional way. In the case you are referring too with the MOH I asked the bride about it that day and she said we can get them later but of course when she came in to get her images she did not remember that nor did she remember that I could not get them out of the bar to do them later that evening.

Sep 23, 2013 at 06:45 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · The worlds worst Uncle Bob Moment

This... that's all that clients will remember- not how drunk, disorganized or grouchy they were to deal with, but just that they didn't get images.

wishdiver wrote:
of course when she came in to get her images she did not remember that nor did she remember that I could not get them out of the bar to do them later that evening.

Sep 23, 2013 at 06:57 PM
BostonGreg
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · The worlds worst Uncle Bob Moment

Could we please some pictures of this jackass?

Dec 23, 2013 at 01:07 AM
curryphoto
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · The worlds worst Uncle Bob Moment

This is why I always carry my main camera, a back up camera, and a GLOCK.....

Dec 25, 2013 at 01:03 PM
Dawei Ye
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · The worlds worst Uncle Bob Moment

Would you seriously pull a 9mm out at a Wedding?

Dec 29, 2013 at 10:46 AM
swoop
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · The worlds worst Uncle Bob Moment

Usualy the only time I have had issues with guests with cameras is during the cake cutting and the formal. There is the errant gusts during the ceremony that "needs to get and iPhone shot" but for the most part they can be worked around to some degree, I may not get the angle I want but I usually get something.

The cake cutting is the worst though. Everyone showsup with a camera and crowds around the couple. More often than not I just work the crowd into the shot because if I try to frame it right I'll have an obstructed view.

Formals are also another you've when guests can be annoying. My strategy is to pose the couple/group and if someone is shooting behind me or over my shoulder i'll put down my camera and stand off to the side and wait for everyone to get their shot. It is a bit passive aggressive but it gets the job done. Without saying anything the couple quickly figures out why I'm not doing anything and asks whoever is in front of them snapping to wait. Then I take my shot.

I've only once had someone shadow me during the reception as I was taking quick shots of guests with the bride and groom. Every photo I took he stood right next to me. The groom had said something to him because I used the above strategy but the guy wasn't quitting. The groom eventually whispered in my ear not to worry about it and do what I can and was even himself telling people to only look at my camera. I should have known he was trouble when he set up a tripod during the ceremony.

Dec 29, 2013 at 12:22 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · The worlds worst Uncle Bob Moment

swoop wrote:
Formals are also another you've when guests can be annoying. My strategy is to pose the couple/group and if someone is shooting behind me or over my shoulder i'll put down my camera and stand off to the side and wait for everyone to get their shot.

I, too, handle these pesky guests in a similar fashion during the formals.

But check this out, swoop ...

I had one of my blanking brides ream me a new one after the wedding for "allowing the guests to get their shot" because "it slowed down the pace of the formals, making them take too long".

Dec 30, 2013 at 02:00 AM
Boss302
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · The worlds worst Uncle Bob Moment

This weekend I had a Groom with a great sense of humor (not to mention good looking in Dress Marine Uniform). At the reception during the cake cutting the crowd (almost each had a phone pointed at the couple) surrounded the cake table while the wedding planner gave instructions to Bride and Groom and told them to look to the camera for the photo. The groom laughed and said "which one?" and I shouted back to him "the paid one!" He immediately turned my way and smiled.

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:37 PM
swordfishphoto
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · The worlds worst Uncle Bob Moment

Dawei Ye wrote:
Would you seriously pull a 9mm out at a Wedding?

Real men carry a .45

Jan 01, 2014 at 11:17 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · The worlds worst Uncle Bob Moment

swordfishphoto wrote:
Real men carry a .45

+1

Jan 01, 2014 at 11:35 PM
curryphoto
• •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · The worlds worst Uncle Bob Moment

Although I was only joking about the Glock...I've had more trouble with Priests , Rev's, Officiants, and the occasional Wedding planer than I've had with Unkle Bob's. BTW , I never mentioned a 9mm. Model 30 for me...

Jan 03, 2014 at 12:04 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · The worlds worst Uncle Bob Moment

curryphoto wrote:
I've had more trouble with Priests , Rev's, Officiants ... than I've had with Unkle Bob's.

Amen!

Jan 03, 2014 at 02:44 AM
Andrew Welsh
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · The worlds worst Uncle Bob Moment

My takeaway from this story? Glad I haven't had clients or events or guests like that. With 120+ weddings per year, odds increase greatly for running into one

Jan 06, 2014 at 12:31 PM
bobbyv
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · The worlds worst Uncle Bob Moment

Andrew Welsh wrote:
My takeaway from this story? Glad I haven't had clients or events or guests like that. With 120+ weddings per year, odds increase greatly for running into one

I agree...and your avatar is tripping me out.

Jan 07, 2014 at 10:28 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.