Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · How do I back up on holiday? Recent disaster

nrferguson
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · How do I back up on holiday? Recent disaster

carstenw wrote:
Niall, how did your photos actually get stolen? From the hotel room, or did you get robbed?

We got a late ferry to Piraeus (Athens port) from the islands and at about 01.00 joined a taxi queue (Piraeus is crazy when a ferry gets in). I had (foolishly with hindsight) transferred my cards from my camera bag to a small shoulder bag that I had slung across my neck/chest on the grounds that it would be safer than the camera bag. When in the taxi I got my wallet out of the bag to get change to pay ie I had the bag and the cards whilst riding in the taxi. When we got to the hotel we unloaded the suitcases and then had a very minor discussion with the driver over the cost of the ride (I had forgotten that it was meter+50% after midnight) My wife says she checked the back seats to make sure we hadn't left anything. We then walked in through the front doors of the hotel and as we did I immediately noticed I didn't have the bag! I went straight back to the port taxi rank in another taxi and checked repeatedly with the port police the next day. The wallet had my phone number and email address in it. I can only assume that the taxi driver (who didn't seem to know his way around Piraeus, though it was an official taxi) cut the strap and took it - anyway, it gives us a reason to go back - even including Santorini, Sifnos is probably the most photogenic Greek Island we have visited, and we've been to about 15 over the years - it and Santorini are the only two we have said we would revisit rather than try a new one
I now have four 32Gb CF cards and four 32Gb SD cards on their way and will resurrect my netbook too!
Niall

Sep 24, 2013 at 07:19 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · How do I back up on holiday? Recent disaster

Wow, stolen by a taxi driver. That is unbelievable somehow. I am guessing that the reason you want to go back is to retake the photos, not track down the taxi driver

Sep 24, 2013 at 09:06 AM
15Bit
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · How do I back up on holiday? Recent disaster

carstenw wrote:
Wow, stolen by a taxi driver. That is unbelievable somehow. I am guessing that the reason you want to go back is to retake the photos, not track down the taxi driver

Or both - kill two birds with one stone, so to speak

Sep 24, 2013 at 10:51 AM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password