Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · How do I back up on holiday? Recent disaster

nrferguson
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How do I back up on holiday? Recent disaster

Having just had 60Gb of CF memory cards stolen in Athens/Piraeus which contained all of a two week holiday on Sifnos I need to look at ways of backing up and storing when away from home. I used to back up on my laptop and then copy that to USB sticks but now have an iPad which doesn't have enough memory and, when I was in Greece, had no card reader that worked with the latest iPad.
With my 5D3 I could have had duplicate saving to CF and SD cards (how I wish I had) and then stored them in two different locations/suitcases but didn't get round to getting 32Gb SD cards to match my CF cards!! So, my questons are:
1. How do WiFi cards work? I don't really understand how they transmit remotely to an iPad/Laptop unless in a WiFi hotspot (which were few and far between on Sifnos)
2. What is anyone's experience of Mulimedia Storage Devices eg Sanho Hyperdrive?
3. Is there some other method I should consider?
Niall

Sep 22, 2013 at 02:05 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How do I back up on holiday? Recent disaster

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye-Fi
2. I don't know personally, but the disk based devices are heavy and fragile.
3a. Keep enough CF cards around to store your whole trip simultaneously, and carry them with you.
3b. Use a pro-level camera with two card slots, and store identical images on both.
3c. Since I have my D800, I shoot to SD, which are smaller and cheaper. I keep enough large cards around to be able to always keep the photos on me.

Sep 22, 2013 at 02:26 PM
W.T. Jones
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How do I back up on holiday? Recent disaster

I use the the 500gb Colorspace UDMA (Sanho) when I travel without a laptop at the end of everyday & then often change cards, Keeping the cards with me or in a safe place as well has having those files backed up on another device. I just make sure I bring along plenty of 8 & 16 gb cards. It seems to work good for me

Sep 22, 2013 at 02:49 PM
ytwong
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How do I back up on holiday? Recent disaster

I use a Laptop (MBA) and HDD. I can leave the laptop at hotel (yes, it might get stolen there ...) but I usually take the HDD with me.

The MS surface RT is an interesting option, it's cheap, relatively light, takes USB and can support files systems designed for large drive (like NTFS, exFAT instead of FAT32.)

I also bring as much SD card as possible... I like SD cards since they are small and cheap compare to CF.

Sep 22, 2013 at 03:21 PM
joanlvh
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How do I back up on holiday? Recent disaster

the Seagate Wireless Plus was recommended to me. I am trying to make a Kingston Wi Drive work, but so far no luck. They both are advertised as external storage via wifi to be used with iPads. joanlvh

Sep 22, 2013 at 03:52 PM
Jabberwockt
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How do I back up on holiday? Recent disaster

I have a very basic netbook from many years ago that comes with me when i travel. Memory cards I carry with me. The netbook which I back up photos to every night goes into the hotel room safe.

Sep 22, 2013 at 04:04 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How do I back up on holiday? Recent disaster

I use an ipad most of the time. I import all shots at the end of the day and then go through them to only keep the shots I don't want to loose. It makes you more selective, but I don't see it as a negative.

Sep 22, 2013 at 04:16 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How do I back up on holiday? Recent disaster

I have a 320GB Sanho Colorspace UDMA 2 with wifi, so I can download from my CF and SD cards and then review them on my iPad via the wifi (iPad doesn't have enough memory to store the files). I also have an older Colorspace UDMA that I use as a redundant backup on some trips, that I store separately from the other gear.

Sep 22, 2013 at 05:42 PM
nrferguson
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How do I back up on holiday? Recent disaster

Thanks for the ideas I think resurrecting my notebook PC and using twin cards sounds the most sensible option - but I'll look into the Sanho Colourspace. As most realised, the problem wasn't running out of card space (I had plenty left with another three 16Gb cards unused) but having a second set of my photos stored in a different place so that having one set stolen didn't mean I'd lost the lot!
Niall

Sep 22, 2013 at 06:00 PM
garydavidjones
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How do I back up on holiday? Recent disaster

My wife and I have travelled extensively abroad on cruises, tours, and independently.

If staying in one or two cities for two weeks or more, I bring my laptop and download

from memory cards onto the laptop, thereby duplicating photos.

If we have a more hectic trip with numerous short stays, I bring the Hyperdrive and

download memory cards to Hyperdrive, again duplicating photos.

Don't want to risk losing photos of trips we probably won't repeat.

Sep 22, 2013 at 06:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How do I back up on holiday? Recent disaster

I use a laptop with two drives and have a third drive (bare 1TB SSD) that is kept in my pants. I also have a couple of PSDs in the luggage just in case the laptop malfunctions, and also some other SSDs that are used as floaters.

I've been happy with the Hyperdrive UDMA, but it does not like some 64GB CF crads. I'm not sure if that is an issue with the UDMA2.

EBH

Sep 22, 2013 at 06:32 PM
DIS Ottawa
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How do I back up on holiday? Recent disaster

I copy the files to my iPad using the camera connection kit and from there to a Seagate Wireless Plus 1TB drive. The transfer to the Seagate is wireless, i.e. it creates its own wifi network. Works flawlessly and the drive is quite small and light. I take quite a few SD cards and leave the files on them, so I have then have two copies, one on the card and one on the Seagate. I delete the files from the iPad as I go.

The Sanho devices will work, but are relatively expensive. The Seagate drive was about $90, if I remember correctly, and the Sanho 500 GB model is $500.

Sep 22, 2013 at 09:08 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How do I back up on holiday? Recent disaster

I've been using a Nexto DI HD device for many years now - a very professional piece of equipment, back up anywhere anytime. It's proved to be very durable, you can even replace the drive with a larger one. It does several levels of data checking and takes all kinds of cards. I also use high quality 32Gb cards since they are now incredibly reliable, and keep cards with my camera gear, with me at all times when travelling.

Sep 22, 2013 at 11:25 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How do I back up on holiday? Recent disaster

DIS Ottawa wrote:
The Sanho devices will work, but are relatively expensive. The Seagate drive was about $90, if I remember correctly, and the Sanho 500 GB model is $500.

The Sanho is a lot less expensive if you just buy the case and install your own HDD.

Sep 23, 2013 at 12:11 AM
ytwong
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How do I back up on holiday? Recent disaster

I wouldn't use an iPad's internal storage, since the possibility to use recovery software on the storage is also part of my consideration when choosing my travel backup/storage solution.

I used to use those HDD box similar to Sanho but somehow they failed twice (file system issues, everything was recovered with software ) so I don't trust them anymore. Many of those devices use FAT32 file system, which wasn't really designed for large drives.

Sep 23, 2013 at 03:29 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How do I back up on holiday? Recent disaster

Bad luck Niall, hopefully it didn't ruin your holiday too much. I would echo the general sentiment here - i travel with a lightweight laptop that i copy everything to. If you don't want to lug such a thing around, a HDD based CF/SD reader solution wouldn't be a bad idea though.

If you have free wifi at the hotel you can also use a laptop to upload images to web storage like dropbox.

Sep 23, 2013 at 05:36 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · How do I back up on holiday? Recent disaster

Shoot film

Sep 23, 2013 at 06:51 AM
nrferguson
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · How do I back up on holiday? Recent disaster

Jorgen Udvang wrote:
Shoot film

I appreciate that this was intended to be funny but actually the issue isn't corruption of data but theft. With digital one can have two/three/four copies stored in different items of luggage, thus reducing the risk as it is ulikely that all will be stolen - with film there is no backup (unless you get it developed/scanned on holiday) so if your rolls are in a suitcase which is stolen, end of story
Niall

Sep 23, 2013 at 07:06 AM
uscmatt99
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · How do I back up on holiday? Recent disaster

I carry a laptop and small portable bus powered hard drive. At the end of the day, I copy images to my laptop and to the hard drive, then store them separately in my hotel room. I do this moreso to protect my images until I back them up at home, but it would work well for your scenario as well. Specifically, I use an OWC drive in acrylic case because I like the rounded edges, and can swap out the drive in the event of failure back at home.

Sep 23, 2013 at 04:26 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · How do I back up on holiday? Recent disaster

Niall, how did your photos actually get stolen? From the hotel room, or did you get robbed?

Sep 23, 2013 at 05:31 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password