Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · How is the Olympus E-M5's AF performance like with the 4/3 Olympus 50-20...

lsquare
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How is the Olympus E-M5's AF performance like with the 4/3 Olympus 50-200mm SWD?

I did a quick search on Google and it seems like the performance is average at best. I know that the lens is designed for a PDAF system. I get that. I don't mind the 1-2 second AF speed that the lens seem to be getting with the E-M5 as I'm shooting mostly static objects (landscape and general travel photography). What really concerns me is AF accuracy. Unless I'm mistaken, it seems like even with the E-M5's CDAF solution, the lens can mis-focus at times.

What's your experience like with this lens? Again, I value AF accuracy very much and if AF accuracy is less than 95% of the time, then I'm probably getting off waiting for the m4/3 40-150mm f/2.8 Zuiko lens.

Sep 22, 2013 at 04:56 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How is the Olympus E-M5's AF performance like with the 4/3 Olympus 50-200mm SWD?

In a word EXCELLENT. Any time I may have a misfocus issue it was due to operator error - like when I let the camera pick the AF point. The OM-D focuses more accurately and consistently than any other camera I have used. With the 5D II, for example, focus can be a hit-and-miss with fast lenses like the 85L and 50L - mostly because of front-focussing and back-focussing issues. You have to occasionally micro-focus-adjust your lenses. No such problems with the OM-D.

Sep 22, 2013 at 07:49 AM
lsquare
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How is the Olympus E-M5's AF performance like with the 4/3 Olympus 50-200mm SWD?

bobbytan wrote:
In a word EXCELLENT. Any time I may have a misfocus issue it was due to operator error - like when I let the camera pick the AF point. The OM-D focuses more accurately and consistently than any other camera I have used. With the 5D II, for example, focus can be a hit-and-miss with fast lenses like the 85L and 50L - mostly because of front-focussing and back-focussing issues. You have to occasionally micro-focus-adjust your lenses. No such problems with the OM-D.

That's what I was thinking because CDAF is generally very accurate with no front/back focusing issues. I just don't understand why some of the threads on DPR seem to indicate that focusing accuracy isn't very good with this lens and the E-M5.

Sep 22, 2013 at 08:48 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How is the Olympus E-M5's AF performance like with the 4/3 Olympus 50-200mm SWD?

What is said about the AF in this review of the 12-40 PRO lens applies to the E-M5 as well:

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/09/22/review-olympus-12-40mm-f2-8-micro-four-thirds/

If the user chooses an exact focusing point, they’ll find that the focusing will perform the fastest and most accurately. When the camera is told to choose the focusing point/area, it may not always be accurate or in focus.

The lens performed extremely fast on both the OMD EM1 and EM5–and we saw no major differences in performance speed out on the streets of NYC. Event photographers and journalists will be delighted to hear this as it will mean that the lens will be able to keep up with their working pace.

Sep 22, 2013 at 09:08 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.