Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Rollei QBM to Canon EF mount conversion?

johancederholm

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rollei QBM to Canon EF mount conversion?

Hey!

I'm considering to change the mount of a Rollei QBM lens to Canon EOS, using a conversion kit from Big-Is at Ebay.

Link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/400332609897?ssPageName=STRK

My lens is the F-Distagon 16mm F/2.8 HFT and it has five screws on the back, not three as in the pictures I have found/read about the mount conversion process. Will it be possible to change the mount using this, with my lens and if so is it done the same way as with the three screw lenses?

Anyone tried this and did you get infinity focus on a Canon EOS body?

Thanks in advance!
/ Johan

Sep 22, 2013 at 03:50 AM
kiddik
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rollei QBM to Canon EF mount conversion?

I used to own this lens (it fell into Lake Thingvallavatn once while aurora shooting and got ruined) but I only used it with a QBM>EOS adapter ring though, and I had to adjust the lens considerably for infinity focus, which was really easy to do - just loosen 3 screws on the focusing helicoid, readjust, and re-fasten. I wonder how it will work with this conversion kit I'm tempted to buy this kit to use with the 50/1.8 Planar which, up until now hasn't been able to infinity focus on a 5D. I think the Rollei 50/1.8 is the best 50 I have ever used, unbelievable colors. (And I've owned both ZE 50/2MP and ZE 50/1.4)

Good luck! I really hope it will work for you, the F-Distagon is sorely missed

Sep 22, 2013 at 04:57 AM
johancederholm

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rollei QBM to Canon EF mount conversion?

Hi Kiddik and thanks for your story! Too bad about the lens though

I have read that many has adjusted the focusing by themselves this way, however this lens doesn't seem to have any screws on the focusing ring

It looks like this! Only more beaten up

Any ideas?

Sep 22, 2013 at 05:03 AM
kiddik
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rollei QBM to Canon EF mount conversion?

Yes there's a screw visible on the focusing ring Just beneath the ripped surface, same ring as the focusing scale is on. There are 3 screws if I remember correctly - don't unscrew them completely, just loosen them up a bit.

Here's a screenshow showing where:
http://d.pr/i/j0KB

If I remember correctly, I put the camera on a sturdy tripod, found something to focus on at infinity. Focused all the way to the end (without reaching infinity at first), loosened the screws, turn the helicoid a little to make sure I could reach / overpass infinity, refastened screws. Then opened up Live View, found proper infinity, loosened the screws again, adjusted the helicoid again so it would be correctly positioned at infinity, and refastened the screws, and oilah - got 2 years of great service doing aurora shooting without ever having to check live view again. I could just set the focusing barrel at infinity and start shooting.

Edited on Sep 22, 2013 at 05:13 AM · View previous versions

Sep 22, 2013 at 05:06 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rollei QBM to Canon EF mount conversion?

This is a straight adapter, not a mount conversion (there are no holes in the flange). Not that it matters much if it's a good fit and you adjust the lens for infinity.

I have the same lens with a no-name adapter. I've taken some super hi-rez 360 panoramas. It's a great lens.

Edit .. I take it back. There are holes for screws (I looked at the outer flange initially). Good luck with the conversion.

Mike

Edited on Sep 22, 2013 at 05:15 AM · View previous versions

Sep 22, 2013 at 05:12 AM
kiddik
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rollei QBM to Canon EF mount conversion?

One problem with adapters though, most of the QBM adapters I've tried position the lens at the wrong angle, so that the hood gets visible in photos. I have one adapter that aligns the lens properly, but I have no idea where it came from - I got it with the lens (but kept the adapter as I left the lens at the insurance company).

Here's a photo I once took of my adapter, while helping another guy finding the right adapter (not sure if he's found it). Note the relative position of the red dot to the locking mechanism:

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80257/zeiss/rollei16_2.jpg

Edited on Sep 22, 2013 at 05:17 AM · View previous versions

Sep 22, 2013 at 05:14 AM
johancederholm

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rollei QBM to Canon EF mount conversion?

kiddik wrote:
Yes there's a screw visible on the focusing ring Just beneath the ripped surface, same ring as the focusing scale is on. There are 3 screws if I remember correctly - don't unscrew them completely, just loosen them up a bit.

I see, is it the small hole to the right in the picture you mean, under the actual focusing wheel? Don't have the lens here to check on. Always thought people meant some screws on the ripped focus wheel. :P

Does this mean I can use a chep Rollei QBM - Canon EOS adapter? Did you achieve infinity focus after the adjustment?

Sep 22, 2013 at 05:16 AM
kiddik
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rollei QBM to Canon EF mount conversion?

Yes, you get infinity if you do this, but make sure you have a proper adapter that aligns the lens properly

Sep 22, 2013 at 05:18 AM
johancederholm

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rollei QBM to Canon EF mount conversion?

kiddik wrote:
Yes, you get infinity if you do this, but make sure you have a proper adapter that aligns the lens properly

Ok I got it, thanks so much for your help! Seems easier than changing the actual mount, or what do you guys think?

Yeah I need to find an adapter that positions the lens as it should, thanks for the picture will use it as a guide

I will see what Ebay has to offer!

Sep 22, 2013 at 05:22 AM
johancederholm

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Rollei QBM to Canon EF mount conversion?

This one looks prety much the same I think.

What do you think?

Sep 22, 2013 at 05:34 AM
phuang3
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Rollei QBM to Canon EF mount conversion?

I have the same lens, adapter and lens mount. First of all, the mount won't work for this lens (well, not as easy as it sounds), so DO NOT unscrew your lens mount unless you know how to disassemble the lens. The two screws on the left hold the aperture control mechanism. It will fall into the lens if they are loosen. As someone has mentioned, the adapter is not a perfect solution either. On FF camera, you will see the lens hood because the wrong lens angle. My solution is to replace the mount by an expert. There are more things to do after you replace the mount. So, don't do this yourself unless you know how to do it. BTW, the mount is perfect for 35/1.4 HFT.

Sep 22, 2013 at 07:48 AM
johancederholm

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Rollei QBM to Canon EF mount conversion?

phuang3 wrote:
I have the same lens, adapter and lens mount. First of all, the mount won't work for this lens (well, not as easy as it sounds), so DO NOT unscrew your lens mount unless you know how to disassemble the lens. The two screws on the left hold the aperture control mechanism. It will fall into the lens if they are loosen. As someone has mentioned, the adapter is not a perfect solution either. On FF camera, you will see the lens hood because the wrong lens angle. My solution is to replace the mount by an expert. There are
...Show more

Okay I understand! I think I will use a normal Rollei QBM to Canon EF adapter instead, and try to adjust the focus as Kiddik described earlier.

Sep 22, 2013 at 08:06 AM
kiddik
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Rollei QBM to Canon EF mount conversion?

johancederholm wrote:
This one looks prety much the same I think.

What do you think?

This one seems to be right, no guarantee though I have 6 different QBM adapters and only one of them aligns the lens properly. I also recommend leaving the mount-change to a professional like phuang3 said. After my lens went swimming I wanted to see if I could release humidity from the lens by opening it up, and of course the aperture locking lever fell apart and into the lens itself.

Sep 22, 2013 at 08:25 AM
johancederholm

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Rollei QBM to Canon EF mount conversion?

kiddik wrote:
This one seems to be right, no guarantee though I have 6 different QBM adapters and only one of them aligns the lens properly. I also recommend leaving the mount-change to a professional like phuang3 said. After my lens went swimming I wanted to see if I could release humidity from the lens by opening it up, and of course the aperture locking lever fell apart and into the lens itself.

Crazy, is diffrent lenses working out diffrent with diffrent adapters? Or why not make one that just works? :P I guess i'll just have to try and test till i find the one!

I see, yeah seems to be more difficult with the lenses having five screwes

Sep 22, 2013 at 08:35 AM
johancederholm

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Rollei QBM to Canon EF mount conversion?

I sent a message to the seller "oprima_uk" regarding the adapter I linked to earlier, and asked if they knew if it would align the Zeiss F-Distagon 16mm F/2.8 HFT correctly on a Canon EOS body. And it certainly seems so!

"It’s our pleasure to tell you that this adapter will align the Zeiss F-Distagon 16mm F/2.8 correctly on a Canon EOS body."

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:51 AM
johancederholm

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Rollei QBM to Canon EF mount conversion?

Thanks for all the help on adjusting infinity focus, it worked great and was very easy!

However, the adapter that I got from Ebay, which I posted a link to earlier, didn't align the lens properly

Guess I just have to try another one. Please post a link if you got an advice on an adapter that aligns the lens!

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:14 AM
kiddik
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Rollei QBM to Canon EF mount conversion?

Good to hear (about the focus correction)

Unfortunately I have no idea where my good adapter ring came from originally It came with the lens when I got it and the previous owner had no clue either. Maybe someone can manufacture it for you? I could provide good profile pictures of the ring if you want (but I won't sell it ;-)

Oct 16, 2013 at 11:45 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Rollei QBM to Canon EF mount conversion?

Leitax makes a mount for QBM to EOS. The example photo looks like it's lined up properly. OTOH, as you mentioned in the OP, the Leitax example has three mount screws, not the five that you have.

You could ask David Lladó at Leitax about the three vs. five screws.

http://www.leitax.com/Rollei-QMB-for-Canon-cameras.html
http://www.leitax.com/conversion/Rollei-Canon/index.html
Leitax info"at"leitax.com

I use Leitax-EOS mounts for Contax C/Y, Olympus OM, and Rokkor 58/1.2. They're not inexpensive, but they're really, really good.

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:19 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Rollei QBM to Canon EF mount conversion?

I've used a QBM to EF conversion kit that looks pretty much identical to that Leitax kit, but it was a pain to use. Very stiff to mount to the camera and it has a sharp edge, so it's kind of painful to handle. Unfortunately I allowed the pin of my Planar 50/1.8 to go out when removing the QBM mount, so I had to disassemble it (and it ended up with some play that decentered the lens, which I couldn't repair). I had to shave the rear element retaining ring for it to clear my 5Dc's mirror.

I think the Planar 50/1.8 isn't an ideal choice for use on FF Canon.

Oct 16, 2013 at 03:07 PM
johancederholm

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Rollei QBM to Canon EF mount conversion?

I have tried two different Rollei QBM to Canon EOS adapters now, and none of them aligned the lens correctly.

The ones I got was from Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/220917708064?ss
http://www.ebay.com/itm/110933258148?ss

They seemed more different in the photos, but they look nearly identical in real world, just a logo on the back missing from the later. And it was also a little bit better than the first, seems more firm an solid when mounted.

If anyone comes across an adapter that do align the lens correctly, please let me know!

Nov 18, 2013 at 06:17 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.