Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Canon FD Lens Tests on NEX

freaklikeme
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Canon FD Lens Tests on NEX

I'm going through all of my FD lenses (that's where I'm starting, anyway) and putting them through their paces. I did infinity testing, which wasn't without its own learning experiences. The 20-35 and the primes 85mm and below worked out well enough. I'm going to have to find a better target for the teles, something more in line with how they'd be commonly used. After this, I'll do mid-range and MFD tests as well. Anyway, that's the future.

I'll post what I have when I get time to process them. Tonight I focused on the 20-35/3.5L. It's a big boy. Specifications can be found at MIR if you're interested. I know many people would balk at using such a large lens on the NEX, and it's certainly the size where you're mostly holding the lens instead of the camera. And it's a very limited zoom range. I've used it for a few landscapes, mostly because it was on the camera. I still greatly prefer primes for landscapes, but this lens, in my opinion, is very capable.

I wasn't terribly surprised by anything here except for the mid-zone drop at f/5.6 on all focal lengths. Anyway, here's the images. Since f/8 is the lens' sweet spot for landscapes, the full images are at that aperture. Once I figure out where I can store full-size jpegs, I'll post the link here.

You'll note that the crops aren't completely consistent at 24 and 28. I bumped the zoom ring a couple of times and had a hard time getting it back to where it was exactly. So those focal lengths are more 24 and 28-ish in the crops. I'll be more careful in the future.

Any suggestions or comments welcome.

Canon FD 20-35mm f/3.5L at 20mm and f/8

Canon FD 20-35mm f/3.5L at 24mm and f/8

Sep 22, 2013 at 08:30 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Canon FD Lens Tests on NEX

28 and 35mm...

Canon FD 20-35mm f/3.5L at 28mm and f/8

Canon FD 20-35mm f/3.5L at 35mm and f/8

Sep 22, 2013 at 08:32 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Canon FD Lens Tests on NEX

thanks for your efforts!

• You can host full resolution images at flickr
  • I can see compression articfacts around the text, maybe you could compress them a little less?
  • I would like to know your technique: wich camera did you use, how many shot did you take at each aperture, are the crops from one image, how did you release the camera
  • postprocessing: how much sharpening was applied, are CA corrected?

what I would find interesting as well is a comparison to other lenses of the same focal length.

looking forward to further tests!

• Sep 22, 2013 at 09:44 AM
    LightShow
    • • • •
    p.1 #4 · Canon FD Lens Tests on NEX

=========================
    No issue before the quote tags.
    =========================

Phillip Reeve wrote:
    thanks for your efforts!

• You can host full resolution images at flickr
  • I can see compression artifacts around the text, maybe you could compress them a little less?
  • I would like to know your technique: wich camera did you use, how many shot did you take at each aperture, are the crops from one image, how did you release the camera
  • postprocessing: how much sharpening was applied, are CA corrected?

what I would find interesting as well is a comparison to other lenses of the same focal length.

looking forward to further tests!

===========================
    End quote tag seems to be broken.
    ===========================
    +1
    I'm seeing jpg compression artifacts too which obscure the lenses true sharpness.
    ipernity.com can host lots of file formats(pictures, pdf's, audio & video...) and sizes.

• Sep 23, 2013 at 06:13 PM
    freaklikeme
    • • • • •
    p.1 #5 · Canon FD Lens Tests on NEX

Thank you, gentlemen. I joined flickr, so hopefully that will solve the compression issue. It's difficult to make something large enough to be useful but stick to the 320kb upload size limit (without making 300 posts that are difficult to compare, anyway). I'll get this stuff uploaded and link it, hopefully in the next couple of days.

As to the technique...

These were shot on the 7, tripod mounted with the adapter's mount, two shots at each aperture but one was discard before importing once I knew that there weren't any major differences between the two, so the crops are single-image only. Shutter activated with an IR remote (held slightly under and in front of the camera).

The full images were lightly sharpened. I didn't intend to sharpen the crops, but looking at them now, I have the feeling I may have put them through the same routine as the full-sized. The sharpening issue will be corrected when I get them up on Flickr.

As for like focal length comparisons, assuming I'm able to follow through on my plans, the data will be there.

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:23 PM
    LightShow
    • • • •
    p.1 #6 · Canon FD Lens Tests on NEX

Thanks for the effort, testing can be a PITA.

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:47 PM
    ebrandon
    • • •
    p.1 #7 · Canon FD Lens Tests on NEX

Thanks for the tests.

I use a lot of FD lenses on NEX -- 24mm f2, 28mm f2.8, 35mm f2 (concave), 50mm f1.2L, 50mm f1.4, 50mm f3.5 macro, 85mm f1.2L, 85mm f.18, 100mm f2, 135mm f2L, 200mm f2.8, 200mm f4, and 80-200mm f4L.

They're all "above average" alt lenses on NEX, but the 28mm f2.8 (which I got from craigslist for $20), the 100mm f2, and the 80-200mm f4L are really excellent.

Sep 24, 2013 at 02:03 AM
    Jabberwockt
    • • •
    p.1 #8 · Canon FD Lens Tests on NEX

You wouldn't happen to have a "control" lens to compare it against would you? =) The contrast seems very moderate, but it could be the lighting.

Sep 24, 2013 at 02:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Phillip Reeve
    • • •
    p.1 #9 · Canon FD Lens Tests on NEX

any chance that you will continue your tests?

Nov 10, 2013 at 08:44 PM
    freaklikeme
    • • • • •
    p.1 #10 · Canon FD Lens Tests on NEX

Oh, yeah. I'm scrapping what I have though. Now that I have a better idea how to conduct these, I'm going to restart once the a7r arrives, so I can do FF and crop at the same time.

Nov 10, 2013 at 10:07 PM
    roboticspro
    • • •
    p.1 #11 · Canon FD Lens Tests on NEX

Good Evening,

I'm interested in your thread also, as I have done extensive testing over the past two years with this glass on NEX (5n), and EOS (5Dc, 5MkII, 7D), with zonal plate charts and actual subjects.

My FD collection starts at the 15mm F.E. and ends at the 800L, and there is some pretty great glass throughout the range, the standouts (to me) are the 85L, 80-200L, 300 f2.8L, and 500 f4.5L.

Looking forward to your findings!

Edd

Nov 10, 2013 at 10:56 PM
    freaklikeme
    • • • • •
    p.1 #12 · Canon FD Lens Tests on NEX

roboticspro wrote:
    Good Evening,

I'm interested in your thread also, as I have done extensive testing over the past two years with this glass on NEX (5n), and EOS (5Dc, 5MkII, 7D), with zonal plate charts and actual subjects.

My FD collection starts at the 15mm F.E. and ends at the 800L, and there is some pretty great glass throughout the range, the standouts (to me) are the 85L, 80-200L, 300 f2.8L, and 500 f4.5L.

Looking forward to your findings!

Edd

Thanks, Edd. Everything on your standout list will be tested, as well as the nFD 35/2 and 20-35L. At some point, I'm going to pick up a 135/2 and 35/2.8 TS, though likely not until after the holidays. The 200/1.8L is an elusive beast, but one of these days, I will find one in good working order that's somewhere south of five figures.

Nov 11, 2013 at 04:45 AM
    LightShow
    • • • •
    p.1 #13 · Canon FD Lens Tests on NEX

Do get the 35/2.8 TS, it's impressive.
    I could add some tests too with the A7r

Nov 11, 2013 at 05:24 AM
    freaklikeme
    • • • • •
    p.1 #14 · Canon FD Lens Tests on NEX

Yes, please do, James. I'd really love to see how the 24s do.

Nov 11, 2013 at 05:32 AM
    LightShow
    • • • •
    p.1 #15 · Canon FD Lens Tests on NEX

I'm really liking the 24/1.4 on my 7, the subjects just pop.
    Couple nice FD's for sale here
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1246004
    FDn 100/2 & an SSC 35/2.8 TS for a good price.

Nov 11, 2013 at 06:07 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password