Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · You do the work, and major blogs get all the pins?

Brian Virts
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · You do the work, and major blogs get all the pins?

What's up with that? Seems like all they do is sell advertisement, and show your pictures for free. A simple link/credit is enough?

Sep 22, 2013 at 03:07 AM
heikoM
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · You do the work, and major blogs get all the pins?

good business concept, donīt you think

Sep 22, 2013 at 07:32 AM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · You do the work, and major blogs get all the pins?

It's photographer's faults for submitting to it. People make money with blogs. In many cases a lot of money. They pay photographers nothing because photographers as a whole like to work for free.

Sep 22, 2013 at 01:14 PM
PatFurey89
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · You do the work, and major blogs get all the pins?

Blogs have easily made me a lot of money (with good, creative clients) that I'd hardly say it's one sided.

Sep 22, 2013 at 04:10 PM
Brian Virts
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · You do the work, and major blogs get all the pins?

Yet, many photographers, (even some of the top guys here) give away their images for a simple link. I'm just curious if the attention is worth while on some of the major blog sites?

Sep 23, 2013 at 01:57 PM
PatFurey89
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · You do the work, and major blogs get all the pins?

What's the alternative?

A long time ago one of the best things I heard from someone about being successful in photography was, "Be kind. Do great work and show lots of people." I've stuck with that mantra and it's worked well for me.

And yes, the attention is usually worth it. Takes very little time to submit to blogs with a proper workflow, and you've already been paid good money to make those images for your clients. Most people are thrilled when a blog wants to feature their wedding. Not only do I make my couples happier, but I get more exposure and the couple gets bragging rights amongst friends who they then refer to me.

Win-win-win.

Sep 23, 2013 at 02:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

cineski
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · You do the work, and major blogs get all the pins?

Pat, that's exactly it. What is the alternative? It's a slippery slope that went from wandering to a collective landslide which has grown to effect everything including advertising....give us your photos and we'll give you credit. Photographers used to make a lot of money on prints as well, that's not the norm anymore. I just personally find it interesting and use it as a tool to imagine what the next steps for our industry will be.

Sep 23, 2013 at 06:10 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · You do the work, and major blogs get all the pins?

PatFurey89 wrote:
and you've already been paid good money to make those images for your clients.

This seems like it makes it fair to me. If you don't want them to have your images, don't submit them. Although some sites like the knot have an extra release that you'd have to check that allows them to manipulate/crop/otherwise alter your photographs without limitation--that I'm not cool with so I don't submit images there.

Sep 23, 2013 at 06:28 PM
PatFurey89
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · You do the work, and major blogs get all the pins?

cineski wrote:
Pat, that's exactly it. What is the alternative? It's a slippery slope that went from wandering to a collective landslide which has grown to effect everything including advertising....give us your photos and we'll give you credit. Photographers used to make a lot of money on prints as well, that's not the norm anymore. I just personally find it interesting and use it as a tool to imagine what the next steps for our industry will be.

The industry (like most) is ever evolving and changing. The people who make it long term will ultimately learn how to adapt.

Sep 23, 2013 at 08:48 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · You do the work, and major blogs get all the pins?

What's a pin worth?

- trr

Sep 23, 2013 at 08:55 PM
nikonftw
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · You do the work, and major blogs get all the pins?

TRReichman wrote:
What's a pin worth?

- trr

free ninety nine

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:14 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password