Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Do you copyright your wedding photos?

Brian Virts
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Do you copyright your wedding photos?

I'm just curious as to how many copyright their wedding photos, and if anyone has ever filed suit against infringement?

Sep 22, 2013 at 03:03 AM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Do you copyright your wedding photos?

The correct terminology is register your copyright. Your images are copyrighted when you press the shutter. Unfortunately in today's world that doesn't mean anything because you'll be on your own if you want to sue the infringer and then you'll probably wind up breaking even if you can get them to pay. Registering them grants you statutory damages and lawyer fees in the case of an infringement (if the infringing entity has the dough to pay for it which will then land you a lawyer).

I can't stress this enough: If you value your photography you must register the images. I was infringed by an ad agency once and won high 4 figures against them. It's very simple, a bit time consuming but absolutely necessary. And yes, I register all my wedding photographs (which reminds me I need to get on that).

Sep 22, 2013 at 01:19 PM
G-Gore
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Do you copyright your wedding photos?

I have a question - do you register all photos from the wedding? or just the once you publish on FB or blog yourself?

Sep 22, 2013 at 01:28 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Do you copyright your wedding photos?

Every single photograph. I just take all photos from the job and resize and rename them like this: client name_my name_date created_january312013.jpg or something to that effect. Date created needs to be in the file name. You can do batch registrations. I'll send a DVD with thousands of photos on it per registration I do. Otherwise you're stuck having to go back and check and see if you did that one and, oh, nope, you forgot to register that one, do I publish it or not..... Just do them all.

Sep 22, 2013 at 01:37 PM
mci2727
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Do you copyright your wedding photos?

cineski; I'm sooo glad to finally meet someone that batch registers wedding photos as I've had questions that have kept me from doing it myself thus far;

So you do batch all in one registration and only have to pay the one fee? How detailed is the paperwork (ie listing each photo) or or is it just a matter of they are all on the disc and your job name & date are correct etc.?

Sep 22, 2013 at 04:44 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Do you copyright your wedding photos?

Yes, you can register large amounts of photos per fee (I don't know if there's a cap but I've registered 10,000 images in one registration) and yes to only needing proper naming of the files. In reality, you can register quarterly (which is what I do) since you have 90 days to register your work if an infringement happens. If it happens any time up to 90 days before you register you're covered (this is meant to cover editorial photographers where their images are generally used immediately). So 4 registrations per year and if you're infringed you have actual legal recourse. If you wait until 90 days, you can still register your images but from 90 days on if an infringement happens before it's received by the copyright office you negate your ability to register (not sure of the technicalities of this but it's probably to prevent a massive backlog of issues).

The paper work is a single form that is filled out online (you have to have an account with them which is in fact cheaper) or you can fill out the paper work long hand (fee is more). I have yet to be able to upload my images via the website but instead put all images as 400x600 lines on a DVD and ship them in with the # provided after filling out the online form and paying the online fee.

The only time consuming part is renaming and resizing the files but you could certainly rename for registration at import should you choose. The theory behind renaming your files is approximate to this:

photographer name_job name_date created_(insert actual date created)january12013_file name.jpg

So: BrianSmith_CitizenWatch_DateCreated_January12013_0001.jpg

All files in that job are named that with the file name changing. Then you switch jobs and:

BrianSmith_RolexWatch_DateCreated_February12013_0001.jpg

And so on. At first it's a bit inundating but it quickly becomes second nature. Then you just bunch all the files together on one DVD and off it goes in the mail. Infringements suck. I just found another image of mine used by a big company online but I have yet to find the time to get at it. I will, but after the seasonal rush is done.

Sep 22, 2013 at 04:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

cineski
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Do you copyright your wedding photos?

The new social norm is that photographs are now free. Of course this is unsustainable and it's up to photographers....and only photographers....to place value on their images. In the wise words of my copyright lawyer, it's not a matter of if you'll be infringed, it's a matter of when.

Sep 22, 2013 at 05:02 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Do you copyright your wedding photos?

Meh...

Sep 22, 2013 at 05:06 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Do you copyright your wedding photos?

cineski wrote:
I have yet to be able to upload my images via the website . . .

Is this because you had problems with the uploading or because you just haven't tried it/modified your workflow yet? Seems like it would be a good option assuming one has decent upload bandwidth.

Sep 22, 2013 at 05:12 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Do you copyright your wedding photos?

I don't know, every time I try to do it the website won't let me. Maybe it's an Apple thing? I tried twice, it didn't let me, so now I just send the DVD in.

Eyeball wrote:
Is this because you had problems with the uploading or because you just haven't tried it/modified your workflow yet? Seems like it would be a good option assuming one has decent upload bandwidth.

Sep 22, 2013 at 05:23 PM
Ryan Britton
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Do you copyright your wedding photos?

I use Macs and have had no troubles uploading to them. The problem I have run into is that their system seems to support files no bigger than around 100 MB. Uploading that or smaller has never been a problem, which usually means splitting the submission into several zip files.

Sep 23, 2013 at 05:42 AM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Do you copyright your wedding photos?

My files are usually very small and compressed, 400x600 and saved at 5 or 6 quality. Since I have a new computer maybe I'll try that again. Thanks for the heads up, Ryan.

Sep 23, 2013 at 01:19 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password