Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Nikon D lenses on Canon

Norman my love
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon D lenses on Canon

I purchased a couple Nikon lenses in anticipation of getting the D800E, which I wanted to use on my Canon 5DII in the meantime. My Adapters just arrived. I put the Nikon 35-70D on my Canon with the photodiox adapter. The adapter has a piece on the side that slides which allows the aperature to be stopped down. I never saw an adapter like this before. When I use contax lenses on my Canon I just stop them down. With the lens attached, I can not change the shutter speed on my Canon either in Manual Mode or Aperature Priority. I don't know if it's the adapter or Nikon lenses don't allow this. My contax lenses work fine on my Canon. Can anyone shed some light on this problem?

Also, I can't get the adapter off the lens. I heard there was a little tab to press down and I do see something which may be a tab, hard to tell. I press it down and nothing.

Sep 21, 2013 at 05:34 PM
mcbroomf
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon D lenses on Canon

You say you have some other Nikon lenses and adapters. Looking at one of your other adapters you'll see a small button that recesses into the adapter when you press down on the tab. Looking at one of your other lenses you'll see the hole that the button locks into to keep the adapter on the lens. Press down on the tab and rotate the lens to disengage (remember that it's the opposite way to Canon and Contax lenses).

Does your adapter have a chip? If so I suspect that it's faulty and preventing you from being able to adjust aperture.

It sounds like you got an adapter for a Nikon G lens. The G lenses need the aperture adjustment on the adapter as it will not close down unless attached to a Nikon body. The D lenses don't need that though. I don't have the 35-70 but I do have the 17-35D and the aperture adjusts fine by itself with the lens aperture ring. I'm not sure if it makes much difference which you use except that you can't see what aperture is chosen with the adapter. Maybe someone else who has a G adapter and D lens can help.

Mike

Sep 21, 2013 at 06:11 PM
Norman my love
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon D lenses on Canon

Thanks Mike,

You got it. They sent me the G adapter. I have another old Nikon lens AIS, and the other new adapter is still in the celephane for that one. I can see through the celephane that there is a little pin and the thing I thought was a tab, raises it when pressed. But when I do this on the lens, it does not work.

No chip. Now when you put the Canon lenses on the camera while camera is around your neck you rotate left. Nikon is the opposite right?

Sep 21, 2013 at 06:35 PM
mcbroomf
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon D lenses on Canon

The Nikon lens is opposite on a Nikon body so when you remove it from the adapter you'll have to rotate the other way (than a Contax lens for example). The adapter + Nikon lens will turn the "normal" way onto the Canon body though.

It seems as though the adapter pin may be jammed. I'd suggest taking it to a camera shop.

Sep 21, 2013 at 07:34 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password