Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Good Classic Lighting Book

sidefunk
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Good Classic Lighting Book

I was just reading a thread discussing "strobist" look vs classical lighting. I was wondering if there is a good classic lighting book (lighting bible so to speak) that might be worth a read. I am familiar with the strobist blog and Joe McNally hot shoe book, which look great and I will probably get around to reading them, but I was wondering if there was some sort of book that those guys were looking at before internet.

I am trying to get a gain a good technical understanding of classic lighting like Rembrandt, short broad and what ever other classic lighting there might be. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sep 21, 2013 at 05:32 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Good Classic Lighting Book

sidefunk wrote:
...I am trying to get a gain a good technical understanding of classic lighting like Rembrandt, short broad and what ever other classic lighting there might be.

Among others, I have this one, which I think covers your requested topics perfectly:

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lighting-Guide-Portrait-Photographers/dp/1584281251

Sep 21, 2013 at 05:37 PM
sidefunk
• •
p.1 #3 · Good Classic Lighting Book

Thanks Brian. This book looks excellent and is exactly the type of thing I am looking for. The internet is great but nothing can beat a good book that brings everything together in one place.

Sep 21, 2013 at 05:53 PM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.1 #4 · Good Classic Lighting Book

Light Science & Magic

And also

Joe Zeltsman tutorial on posing and lighting

And

Monte Zuckers Portrait Photography Handbook

Sep 25, 2013 at 03:32 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Good Classic Lighting Book

Tom Dix wrote:
Light Science & Magic...Joe Zeltsman tutorial on posing and lighting...Monte Zuckers Portrait Photography Handbook

I often recommend Light -- Science and Magic as a tremendous text on light theory and principles of lighting, but it's not really what the OP was looking for: a primer on the classic portrait lighting patterns (at least from what I remember of the 3rd Edition, which I can't find at the moment). I do think it belongs in every serious photographer's library, though.

I'm not familiar with the Zeltsman book; I'll have to look into that one.

I have Monte Zucker's book. I like his approach to facial analysis and posing, but again it's not really dealing with the classic strategies. Monte was more of a "holistic" lighter, and he had his own terminology for explaining what he was doing. (I was fortunate to see Monte at one of his seminars, and his book is another that I often recommend, especially now that he's no longer with us to teach in person.)

Sep 25, 2013 at 04:12 AM
Paul_K

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Good Classic Lighting Book

My personal favourite (sorry is spelled wrong, no native English speaker) is

Lighting for Portraiture by Walter Nurnberg

Definitely old style photogragphy, but timeless advise on types of light (point, diffused, reflected), shadows and contrast, and lighting set ups (with detailed situation descriptions, diagrams and example pictures).

No glamourous pictures with much talk but little content, but a picturewise perhaps outdated and at first glance seemingly boring, unexiting book but with thorough practical, real world technical info.

Part of my librairy for more then twenty five years already

Sep 25, 2013 at 09:19 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Good Classic Lighting Book

Paul_K wrote:
My personal favourite...is Lighting for Portraiture by Walter Nurnberg

I remember that book; we had it in the camera club library at my high school back in 1973 / '74.

I searched the Internet, and found that it is still available in hardback, although "new" copies are selling for over $100. I may get a good used copy if I can find one.

Sep 26, 2013 at 04:38 AM
sidefunk
• •
p.1 #8 · Good Classic Lighting Book

Got my master ligthing guide book and its great. I think i will try and get my hands on a copy of the nurnberg book as well. Thanks so much for all the suggestions. Now i just need to put them into practice.

Sep 27, 2013 at 01:49 AM
Bearmann
• • •
p.1 #9 · Good Classic Lighting Book

I enjoyed this book by Allison Earnest and I see that she has some other books too:

http://www.amazon.com/Sculpting-Light-Techniques-Portrait-Photographers/dp/1584282363/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1380249733&sr=1-3

Sep 27, 2013 at 02:44 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Good Classic Lighting Book

i would buy everything I could by clay blackmore, monte zucker and darton drake. Not sure I agree that monte was a holistic lighter. Monte was a master of classic short lighting. (And other lighting patterns but short was his bread and butter).

Contrary to strobist techniques, the three guys I mentioned are very meticulous and highlights, shadows, catchlights, etc. I often see strobist pictures where the flash is too low and the shadow of the nose is actually above the bridge of the nose. THAT'S MONSTER LIGHTING, folks!! It's not flattering, yet i still see many pros use this.

Study the masters and then branch out and do your own thing.

Sep 29, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Good Classic Lighting Book

one additional comment. IMO, There is no such thing as modern vs classic lighting. There is only lighting. If you don't understand the basics than you don't know lighting. It's like playing an instrument. You have to understand the rudiments of the instrument before you can just be an original artist. All the greats in any art form started out by copying the masters and then branched out to their own unique style.

Sep 29, 2013 at 12:59 PM
sidefunk
• •
p.1 #12 · Good Classic Lighting Book

Thanks jzucker, i am going to check those guys out.

Sep 30, 2013 at 01:43 AM
irish-george
• • •
p.1 #13 · Good Classic Lighting Book

Kodak printed a paperback book on classic lighting that came in a yellow envelope...can't remember the name (tucked away in a box in the basement). But, it was what I used in a second photography class in college in the film days. If anyone remembers its name, you can likely locate a copy with bookfinder.com or a similar site.

Sep 30, 2013 at 02:14 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Good Classic Lighting Book

irish-george wrote:
Kodak printed a paperback book on classic lighting that came in a yellow envelope...can't remember the name... But, it was what I used in a second photography class in college in the film days.

If it's the one with the cover photo of a red-curtained studio with a marble sculpture subject, it's called Professional Portrait Techniques.

Sep 30, 2013 at 02:28 AM
irish-george
• • •
p.1 #15 · Good Classic Lighting Book

BrianO wrote:
If it's the one with the cover photo of a red-curtained studio with a marble sculpture subject, it's called Professional Portrait Techniques.

That's the one. Thanks.

Oct 19, 2013 at 02:48 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · Good Classic Lighting Book

jzucker wrote:
one additional comment. IMO, There is no such thing as modern vs classic lighting. There is only lighting. If you don't understand the basics than you don't know lighting. It's like playing an instrument. You have to understand the rudiments of the instrument before you can just be an original artist. All the greats in any art form started out by copying the masters and then branched out to their own unique style.

+1

First we emulate, then we create.

The masters (of anything) understand the what/why they do what they do ... not just the "do this, do that" because it worked for someone else.

Sure, some folks just start "doing things" and create their own style and figure out what works/doesn't work for them.

Imo, that is a far different thing from what true masters do.

Oct 19, 2013 at 04:41 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Good Classic Lighting Book

jzucker wrote:
...IMO, There is no such thing as modern vs classic lighting. There is only lighting. If you don't understand the basics than you don't know lighting....

RustyBug wrote:
First we emulate, then we create. ...The masters (of anything) understand the what/why they do what they do ... not just the "do this, do that" because it worked for someone else.

I agree that emulating the masters is a great foundation from which one can grow. In traditional Japanese martial arts the progression is called shu-ha-ri: "mimic the form, live the form, abandon form" more or less.

But I disagree that there's no such thing as classic versus modern lighting. You wouldn't see "the ring-light look" in 1940s photographs, because the ring-light didn't exist back then; just as you won't find aerial bombardment in the tactics of Yagyu Shinkage Ryu Hyoho, because the airplane didn't exist when that classical martial art was systematized.

There is, however, value in the modernist learning the classical arts and ways, whatever the field of endeavor, and seeking out a master of the classical ways from whom to learn can be worth the effort.

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:25 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · Good Classic Lighting Book

Modern ways tend to truncate/expedite the production of pragmatic results compared to the longer/slower methods of classicly mastering ... suited to our instant gratification societies.

Personally, I've been trying to "backfill" some modern gaps (that tend to plateau) with a return to more classical studies. But for me, that means studying the physics, the human physiological response, color theory and the creation of visual messages. In the meantime ... others have taken and sold 1,000's of pics. It seems that the more I know, the slower I go.

Oct 20, 2013 at 04:05 AM
Michael White
• • •
p.1 #19 · Good Classic Lighting Book

I second BtianOs recommendations as I've both in paperback and in digital iirc.

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:36 PM
nolaguy
• • •
p.1 #20 · Good Classic Lighting Book

I really like this.

Some will scan this thread and pretty much dismiss it as disjointed and sort of all over the place.

It's not. In very simple ways these posts touch and retouch on the essence of people serious about the craft, the art... foundations, explorations, growth... ...the countless tentacles of knowledge acquired and developed by serious practitioners over much time... and the sharing of such over still more time.

N i i i c e... my friends.

Would that we had more of this simple grasshopper talk, absent the grandiose noise too often present.

Oct 21, 2013 at 12:50 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password