New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · looking for full frame

bugler1

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · looking for full frame

Hey all. I'll cut right to the chase. I'm trying to decide on a new ff camera. I just sold my 1d2 and I'm looking for a buyer for my 1ds. I need advice for my next body. I have a budget of under $2k. I really like the 1 series cameras so I'm considering a 1ds Mark iii. The 5d2 is also quite intriguing. Any advice?

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · looking for full frame

6D will have better DR than the others. Although the 1Ds3 build quality is best of them all, plus I am sure there are going to be stellar deals on the 6D this holiday season

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:03 PM
bugler1

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · looking for full frame

Really? I hadn't even considered the 6d. Why is it so much less expensive than other cameras that claim similar image quality? It's it poorly built? I know the af isn't quite as featured..

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:12 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · looking for full frame

bugler1 wrote:
I hadn't even considered the 6d. Why is it so much less expensive than other cameras that claim similar image quality? It's it poorly built?

Not "poorly" built, although not up to the ruggedness of 1-series bodies.

It's cheaper because Canon has positioned it in that segment of the market. It has fewer features than higher-end cameras, but its image quality is very good.

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:25 PM
bugler1

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · looking for full frame

Forgive me for not searching for this answer but I like to have things explained concisely. What features would I be missing out on besides weather sealing and the ruggedness?

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:44 PM
Dudewithoutape
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · looking for full frame

Cons:
1/8000th shutter speed
Lack of AF compared to 1 series
Single memory card

Pros:
One really good center AF pt.
No more shadow banding @ high iso ( was still present up to the 1dsIII and 5D3)
WiFi if you care for it

Sep 21, 2013 at 01:01 PM
bugler1

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · looking for full frame

I usually use the center point on my t4i but have been using more points since I got my 1ds. I suppose I could go back to center point. The 5d3 has shadow banding? Wow... did not know that. I'll have to try out the 6d.

Sep 21, 2013 at 02:13 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · looking for full frame

bugler1 wrote:
I usually use the center point on my t4i but have been using more points since I got my 1ds. I suppose I could go back to center point. The 5d3 has shadow banding? Wow... did not know that. I'll have to try out the 6d.

Despite the fact that thousand and thousands (tens? hundreds of thousands?) of photographers, including some very serious and capable ones, use the 5D2 and regard its image quality as excellent, you will still read about the "noise banding" (here referred to as "shadow banding") on photography forums.

With the exception of the noise banding true believers this issues lies somewhere between "not an issue" and trivial. No camera - no, not even a 1-series body - is perfect in every way, and every one of them has a personality. If you go looking really hard for banding in the shadows of images from a 5D2 you can sometimes find it at 100% magnification, but the odds that you'll ever find it to be a problem in even a vary large print are extraordinarily small. Yes, other cameras with differing personalities might have noise performance that measures slightly better, but they aren't perfect either.

I was amused at the "lack of AF" comment in one of the earlier posts? No AF? ;-)

Unless your needs are rather unusual - or you are trying to impress someone - in most cases I would recommend foregoing a 1-series body. There is nothing wrong with them, and in certain cases that values they offer might be useful, but most people will be better off spending their (limited) funds on a more up-to-date camera with better image quality potential and improved features. That 6D could be a great option, as could a 5D2, depending upon what you shoot, how you shoot it, and what you do with the photographs.

Dan

Sep 21, 2013 at 02:37 PM
garyvot
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · looking for full frame

Dudewithoutape wrote:
Cons:
1/8000th shutter speed
Lack of AF compared to 1 series
Single memory card

Pros:
One really good center AF pt.
No more shadow banding @ high iso ( was still present up to the 1dsIII and 5D3)
WiFi if you care for it

I'd add to the "Pros" that the 6D is lighter and more compact, while still feeling very nice in the hand.

Edited on Sep 22, 2013 at 10:54 AM · View previous versions

Sep 21, 2013 at 02:50 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · looking for full frame

If you want Canon FF for under $2k, these are your options and approximate cost used (or new):
5D ($500)
1Ds ($500)
1Ds2 ($900)
5D2 ($1300-1500)
6D ($1600-1800 new)

Other options:
1Ds3 ($2300-2400)
5D3 ( $2600 used)

This is why the 6D is being recommended for your price range -- new condition and most modern features.

Perhaps other posters can help with more concrete prices for used, but this is what I've been following.

Sep 21, 2013 at 03:12 PM
bugler1

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · looking for full frame

Thanks for the thoughts. While I have a rebel I'd say I'm more coming from a 1ds. I love the way it feels in my hands and there's something about the shutter feel and sound...

Sep 21, 2013 at 03:31 PM
bugler1

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · looking for full frame

Gunzorro wrote:
If you want Canon FF for under $2k, these are your options and approximate cost used (or new):
5D ($500)
1Ds ($500)
1Ds2 ($900)
5D2 ($1300-1500)
6D ($1600-1800 new)

Other options:
1Ds3 ($2300-2400)
5D3 ( $2600 used)

This is why the 6D is being recommended for your price range -- new condition and most modern features.

Perhaps other posters can help with more concrete prices for used, but this is what I've been following.

I have seen the 1ds3 for around 2k recently so that's why it is on my list of possibilities. I wouldn't want lower than a mark 3 or a 5dc.

Sep 21, 2013 at 03:34 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · looking for full frame

bugler1 wrote:
I really like the 1 series cameras so I'm considering a 1ds Mark iii. The 5d2 is also quite intriguing. Any advice?

Sound like you debate between 1Ds3 and 5d2. Just for the file and AF alone, I take 1ds3 over 5d2 any day. 5d2 if you need so so hi-iso file, beside 1Dx - there is nothing out there has replaced the 1ds3 file yet

Sep 21, 2013 at 03:49 PM
bugler1

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · looking for full frame

So mttran, you wouldn't throw the 6d in the mix like the others on this topic?

Sep 21, 2013 at 04:12 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · looking for full frame

bugler1 wrote:
So mttran, you wouldn't throw the 6d in the mix like the others on this topic?

6D is a nice little camera, it always be a good mix if you already have 1dseries body. I always think canon knows better to class their cams than most reviewer. There is no freebies in canon land after all. Beside there is nothing 6D can do that 5D2 can't Bottom line, it's all based on your shooting requirement not others.

Sep 21, 2013 at 04:50 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · looking for full frame

mttran wrote:
6D is a nice little camera, it always be a good mix if you already have 1dseries body. I always think canon knows better to class their cams than most reviewer. There is no freebies in canon land after all. Beside there is nothing 6D can do that 5D2 can't Bottom line, it's all based on your shooting requirement not others.

There is really only one feature the 5D II (and my 60D) had over the 6D, and that's 1/8000 shutter versus the 1/4000 shutter, and this is something I've run into a number of times in bright conditions trying to use naked fast glass, where that extra stop of light-stopping power at the shutter is actually useful.

Otherwise, I couldn't find a reason to consider a used/refurbished 5D II over a new 6D at the time; and the 6D brings quite a bit more to the table.

Sep 21, 2013 at 06:26 PM
bugler1

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · looking for full frame

Thank you John. I've dropped 5d2 off my considerations. I'm now deciding between 6d and 1ds3.

Sep 21, 2013 at 06:52 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · looking for full frame

Go 6D - so much nicer to use in terms of the menu, LCD, et al - overall moderness.

Sep 21, 2013 at 08:19 PM
aladyforty
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · looking for full frame

to be honest I've never seen banding with my 5DII at high ISO. I find the focus is fine, I've even managed birds in flight with it (although I prefer to use my 7D or 1DIII for that) I had a look at 6D, the files are nice but I could not live with the tiny dial and the plastic feel after 5DII etc. If you can pick up a used 5DII in good condition Id go for it...was not so long ago that it was considered the most used DSLR, recent trip with friends who own 5D3 and uploading our photos taken at the same place, cant pick the difference even zoomed in really

Sep 21, 2013 at 09:08 PM
bugler1

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · looking for full frame

Hmm. With b&h selling the 6d with lens and a printer and a $400 rebate... that may have helped make my decision.

Sep 22, 2013 at 11:34 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.