Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Billingham Bag Recommendation Needed

rattymouse
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Billingham Bag Recommendation Needed

Anyone know which Billingham bag (if any) can hold a Nikon FM2, and 24mm, 50mm, 85mm, and 135mm lenses? A bonus if it can also hold a Fuji GA645 camera (not too large).

Thanks!

Sep 21, 2013 at 07:47 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Billingham Bag Recommendation Needed

rattymouse wrote:
Anyone know which Billingham bag (if any) can hold a Nikon FM2, and 24mm, 50mm, 85mm, and 135mm lenses? A bonus if it can also hold a Fuji GA645 camera (not too large).

Thanks!

Just about any Billingham can handle that load save for maybe the really wee Digital Hadley. But if you want the least bag for the most gear, the Billingham Hadley Pro would certainly hold your Nikon kit without flinching. Might need to use a lens bag or add a divider in order to to stack several primes.

Sep 21, 2013 at 08:40 AM
MSC
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Billingham Bag Recommendation Needed

335 can should do that. 445 def. My only issue with the 445 is that loaded up is heavy with equipment. 335 is the bag I've used constantly for about 10 years, nothing else made like any Billingham. Never owned a Hadley but like the look of it…would like to trade the 445 for a used Hadley. I'm a little old for a fully loaded 445 any more.

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:35 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Billingham Bag Recommendation Needed

According to B & H, the Billingham Hadley Pro can only hold TWO SLR lenses. I need to carry 4!

"Large Digital/photo SLR Body with 2 lenses or 1 lens and flash plus accessories"

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:36 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Billingham Bag Recommendation Needed

MSC wrote:
335 can should do that. 445 def. My only issue with the 445 is that loaded up is heavy with equipment. 335 is the bag I've used constantly for about 10 years, nothing else made like any Billingham. Never owned a Hadley but like the look of it…would like to trade the 445 for a used Hadley. I'm a little old for a fully loaded 445 any more.

Thank you. The 445 looks interesting as it can also hold a laptop.

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:40 AM
MSC
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Billingham Bag Recommendation Needed

rattymouse wrote:
According to B & H, the Billingham Hadley Pro can only hold TWO SLR lenses. I need to carry 4!

"Large Digital/photo SLR Body with 2 lenses or 1 lens and flash plus accessories"

If you read what Gochugogi wrote, you will see he said that you would need to stack and get a lens bag for the Hadley and what you want to put in it. Here is a pic of my loaded 335 getting ready for a trip to Italy. the Hadley is more like a brief case, the 335 is more boxey. The different seems to be the width. This is a 1d on the side, a 24-70, 16-35, and 70-200 IS and a slot with battery changer, CF hard case, card reader….the front pockets have other stuff, there are some other pockets too that hold things. This is just for size, you will have to pic a bag that works for your kit.

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:57 AM
MSC
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Billingham Bag Recommendation Needed

Man, experimenting with a cell phone camera and flash for that pic above…no wonder I can't stand flash under any circumstance.

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:00 PM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Billingham Bag Recommendation Needed

MSC wrote:
Man, experimenting with a cell phone camera and flash for that pic above…no wonder I can't stand flash under any circumstance.

Your pic looks fine. Do you think you could get a 4th lens in that bag if you left the accessories out? I am looking for a bag while out shooting so accessories and battery chargers are mostly not needed at this time.

Sep 21, 2013 at 01:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

MSC
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Billingham Bag Recommendation Needed

Yes, absolutely...it would fit in the slot you see in the middle with the charger, etc. That is a slot for a lens, I just don't need a lens in it and because I'm going for two weeks, I need to carry a charger...which is big itself. And that is a 1 series body, which is a lot bigger than many. Don't know your Nikon size. Also those are all L series lenses and not the standard lenses so they are bigger than a kit lens. and all are zoom so they are bigger than primes.

Sep 21, 2013 at 03:47 PM
MSC
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Billingham Bag Recommendation Needed

The pockets on the front are big too. If you look on their website, you will see the two front pockets large. Not padded, but large.

Sep 21, 2013 at 03:48 PM
MSC
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Billingham Bag Recommendation Needed

Oh, one last...all of those lenses have the hoods on them. So they take up more space. This bag would fit your kit.

Many other bags would too of course. But the Billingham bags are made for a lifetime of hard use and look good too. The compromise for them are two: one they are heavyish (but I don't care about that for walk about shooting) and two, they are expensive. But you do get what you pay in most cases, it is true with these. A big fan here, have tried many other brands, and still have many other brands (LowePro, Kinesis, Kata, TT). But this is my main go-to bag when I want more than one or two lenses and traveling.

Of course in general, the camera is out of the bag with a lens attached and taking photos.

Sep 21, 2013 at 03:54 PM
Mike Lambert
• •
p.1 #12 · Billingham Bag Recommendation Needed

If I can chime in with my thoughts as an ex-Billingham fan (I've had hadleys large and small, 335 & 550); the downside to these is exactly what happens when the gear is out of the bag - it doesn't get any smaller! The 335 was the worst offender as its very boxy with stiff padding and kind of just hangs there heavily and gets in the way.

I eventually moved to a Think Tank Retrospective 30; with this I can get 2 1D series bodies in the 2 front pockets and several large and small lenses, flash etc in the main compartment (on assignments usually 400 5.6, 70-200, 50 1.2, 17-40). And when both cameras are on my shoulder with a lens on each the bag really flattens down nicely and moulds against my body and I hardly notice it. The strap is much more comfortable than the Billingham and it has many more little inner pockets for items and feels lighter. It is my favourite bag ever. It is also very discreet compared to a Billingham.

Sep 22, 2013 at 11:35 PM
moosehead222
• •
p.1 #13 · Billingham Bag Recommendation Needed

I would check out the 7 Series, 307 perhaps. They have a nice PDF with all the exact sizes.
The carbon fiber rod that allows the bag to stay open if very practical. Awesome bags.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/696134-REG/billingham_bi_506234_54_307_camera_bag_khaki.html

Nov 16, 2013 at 07:10 AM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.1 #14 · Billingham Bag Recommendation Needed

I have the 207 and 555, 207 can easily handle the gear listed.

Nov 17, 2013 at 03:10 AM
CharChar
• • •
p.1 #15 · Billingham Bag Recommendation Needed

Anyone have the 307L?

Nov 21, 2013 at 05:32 AM
Savas K
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Billingham Bag Recommendation Needed

For my Micro 4/3 use and gear choice, the 107 and 307 hold similar gear to that of the Hadley Pro. The difference being that the 107 and 307 are stable on the ground; have a superior carry handle; capability to accept tripod straps and/ or rucksack-style straps; and they utilize the Delta pockets. (I like them more than the Avea)

The 07 series implies that you'll set them on the ground to work out of them due to the inner carry handles that reveal themselves once you've opened the kit. That, and the metal feet on the bottom of the bag. You grab the handles and convey the bag to the next spot you're working from. This came in handy for me such as when shooting a WWII reenactment. I didn't know the conditions and brought a bunch of stuff and had no need to keep all of that hanging off my person while shooting. There were tall dry grasses and it was all okay getting in and out; maybe zipping up once in a while.

Hadley pro holds an extraordinary amount of Micro 4/3 but at the expense of accessibility. Stacking gets you there.

Here is an old post I did in another forum, one dedicated to Micro 4/3 gear and the 307. This is more of a continuation from a prior section of the post that is less relevant here in this thread.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Of course, I couldn't help myself but get a Delta Pouch for outside. The phone is available there and there's a spot for my glasses. (I like shooting without wearing glasses and they get bent if I try putting them somewhere in clothing pockets.)

Before I'm done, here's a pic of the Macbook Air inside the closed bag you saw. Guess what? Billingham must be reading forum threads because the bag is no longer stitched in that spot. Bag buyers were cutting interior stitches so that laptops can be slotted within.

And, I found a use for the flap that came with the bag. A nice little table for swapping while the bag is on the ground. Not a necessity, but it's available if I want. The flap when not used like a table top gets slotted into one of two openings on the side where Billingham has maintained stitches to keep the inner container in place.

What about the smaller 107 and 207?
What is the impact of going with the two smaller bags in the series, the 207 and 107? If you are using the same size Superflex inserts as I am using, you wind up losing 2 silos and 4 silos respectively; each bag interior with a little bit of space left over between the last Superflex and the inside wall. The 107 gets you more space due to how it works out. How useful that extra space is in each instance is up to the individual photographer. The image conveys this; two cardboard strips were cut to the interior width dimensions that B&H says that the two smaller bags are.

Here's a recent schematic that helps envision more than the cardboard strips allow for.

What to make of it? It appears it's about whether you want to carry a fully gripped camera with a reduced set of lenses, albeit, readily accessible lenses… lenses that can be setup with hoods extended and perhaps rear caps off, ready to rock. Both smaller bags when empty weigh successively less.

So if you want the fully gripped camera and one of the smaller of the 07 series and that camera is occupying it's spot like in preceding photos, then you wind up with three available chambers for the 107 (body and four lens chambers) and five chambers with the 207 (body and six lens chambers); as compared to my seven chambers with the 307 (Body and eight lens chambers).

Recall that it'd be a nice idea to have an empty slot or two available for swapping; or for dropping something in there in a hurry, such as a lens cap; or to drop-in a hood that you might have removed for some reason. Remember, we don't always have a table nearby and the ground could be hazardous. A bag depth that supports a double row of chambers is kind of like a safety net from lens drops. We also know that the lens chambers can be handy items for other than lenses. Like flash units, small parts, bulb-blower, a can of soda, whatever.

Last, what about a laptop or tablet for the 107 and 207? What is certain is that going smaller than a 307 loses you the Macbook Air slot. Roughly two inches are gone from the interior's width. But what about a tablet computer? The 207 accepts a recent model iPad (the regular size one with Retina, not the new Mini). Just about; at least the one I tested with a full back case and cover. So the 107 is one I don't know about. Maybe an iPad Mini might fit; at this point I don't know. Owners of the Mini might compare specs with the 107's 9.45 inch interior width.

I feel fortunate to be in a position to see this for myself and to share it with the community. I hope this will be helpful to someone contemplating this kind of bag for Micro 4/3 use.

Nov 23, 2013 at 03:30 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password