Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Frist time ever shooting Volleyball

canav844

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Frist time ever shooting Volleyball

SIU @ ISU

Covering another game in the same arena (cave) tomorrow night. Did a bunch of reading this week in the sports corner so I had some idea of what to look for, also went and dug up photos from London's 2012 to get some ideas. Shot warmups in jpeg, the games in RAW and mRAW. Probably going to spend some more time on the floor tomorrow, things felt a little more certain from higher up that I'd get something decent but the good stuff from down low looked much better. Couldn't manage the shooting under the net that'd I read about, only shooting through it, which often felt like I was shooting the net itself. I can get decent backgrounds from the sides so long as I'm careful about placement.

Preliminary gallery here: http://www.dcanavanphoto.com/p650447156

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Frist time ever shooting Volleyball

You are on the right track, it is a very tough sport to shoot.

When I shoot"through the net" I pre-focus before the play on the players legs. Then when they jump I hold the focus and don't lose it on the tape or net. I use my back button to lock/hold focus, others prefer to use it to start focus.

1. She is watching the ball go by her block, not a flattering shot of her, but you are in the right place when she does connect.

2. A great leap, if you get that from her right side her arm will be back and yo will get a great profile of her face too.

3. Great! Crop tighter?

4. A nice shot, but not super cool like hitting/blocking. :-)

5. Technically a good shot, but terrible form.

6. I like this one, I would like to see the one or two after this one ( as the ball comes to her and she starts to swing forward...). Her arm is away, so the swing will not cover her face... :-). It would also allow you a tighter crop as the ball drops.

Cheers,
Paul

Sep 22, 2013 at 09:40 PM
lhryshko
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Frist time ever shooting Volleyball

Superb critique above!

Sep 22, 2013 at 10:47 PM
canav844

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Frist time ever shooting Volleyball

Thanks for the input Paul, I've been assigned to cover another game on Tuesday so that will definitely help. I did try doing a lot of focusing with the lower zones and lower expansion points and lower zone to focus on the legs, using the back button and just panning up with the players and hoping it was correct; hoping is not a method I'm fond of. I did find that by the middle of the match on Saturday (these were from Friday) I was able to start reading the players faces to tell where the ball was going to go, and was often able to pre-focus on the player just before or as the ball got there.

I'll be sure to post back the best of what I get this week.

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:50 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.