Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Those darn push-pull zoom lenses: how to operate without frustration

dehowie
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Those darn push-pull zoom lenses: how to operate without frustration

One of the biggest advantages of push pull is lack if shake.
As you dont twist your hand while zooming you can smoothly support the lens through large focal length changes.
Personally i hope if they do a Mk2 they leave it as push pull.
You just cup the lens and bang any focal length rather than twist and then reposition like the 70-200.
Far prefer the 100-400..far..

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Dark Slider
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Those darn push-pull zoom lenses: how to operate without frustration

All my zooms from FD days were push/pull, and i HAD to focus manually. While I hope they update the 100-400 (for better IS,) I fear they will ruin it by making it twist to zoom.

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:08 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Those darn push-pull zoom lenses: how to operate without frustration

Dark Slider wrote:
All my zooms from FD days were push/pull, and i HAD to focus manually. While I hope they update the 100-400 (for better IS,) I fear they will ruin it by making it twist to zoom.

It won't ruin it for me. I prefer the twist, I find it much easier to follow action than the push pull. Not to mention more dust in your lens.

Sep 24, 2013 at 01:12 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Those darn push-pull zoom lenses: how to operate without frustration

I'd prefer mk II to be a twist zoom and it would be easy enough to make the lens suitable for both fine and large zoom changes via the use of a non-linear zooming action. You can get very precise zooming with a small twist, but as you twist further the zomm should accelerate and it could be tuned so zooming from 100mm to 400mm could easily be the same speed as pulling the lens. It would only take a short while to determine the amount of twist needed to get the zoom acceleration desired.

Sep 24, 2013 at 01:36 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Those darn push-pull zoom lenses: how to operate without frustration

Frankly, I don't care if they make it a twist or a push-pull design. Both work just fine, and each has its advantages/disadvantages.

Dan

Sep 24, 2013 at 09:55 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Those darn push-pull zoom lenses: how to operate without frustration

I'm with Dan, I just hope that a Mk II is still affordable by mere mortals.

Sep 24, 2013 at 10:02 AM
jmckayak
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Those darn push-pull zoom lenses: how to operate without frustration

I prefer the push-pull zoom because you intuitively know the zoom position. I've been having trouble with twist zooms, not knowing if I'm zoomed in or out. The dust pump issue is very much overblown or my wife would use it as a vacuum cleaner...

Sep 26, 2013 at 02:28 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.