Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Were weddings your first choice?

myam203
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Were weddings your first choice?

Were weddings your first choice in the photo business?

I started out at a family portrait studio, then bounced around in other areas, and now I'm mostly doing weddings, but I've always wanted to shoot things like celebrity portraits, ads, and maybe even a little fashion. Even though I haven't given up on any of that, I'm still pretty happy where I am. What about you?

Sep 20, 2013 at 03:35 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Were weddings your first choice?

I thought I'd make millions by shooting photos of me and my hiking partners summitting the 67 highest mountain peaks of New England. Millions in Nigerian currency, that is.

Then I realized that one could make a living by doing wedding photography. At the time, I didn't know that there are 40 competitors for each client, so I went ahead with these plans.

Sep 20, 2013 at 03:39 PM
WNStudio
• • •
p.1 #3 · Were weddings your first choice?

Wholesale owner/therapist/teacher/restaurant owner/one hour photo studio/wedding photographer.
I'm not planning any changes for now

Sep 20, 2013 at 03:56 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Were weddings your first choice?

Weddings were my last choice when I graduated from photography school. I went on to shoot commercial work and newspaper photography before transitioning to film and television production. I made my living producing and directing tv and video before retiring and starting my photography biz.

Sep 20, 2013 at 04:07 PM
Prettym1k3
• • •
p.1 #5 · Were weddings your first choice?

When I was 5 I thought I'd be a fireman.
When I was 10 I thought I'd be a lawyer.
At 15 I thought I'd be a entrepreneur and open restaurants.
At 18 I realized I was nuts, and just wanted a good job.
At 22 I thought I'd work in the bicycle industry.
At 25 I thought I'd try for Law School (30 days into LSAT studies I quit).

Now I feel I have the best of all worlds. I have my day job, in a law office, as a paralegal. It's my "serious job". My photography is the job that fill my spirit (and my bank account - far more than my day job does) and gives me a creative outlet.

As far as photography goes, I wanted to shoot Mountain Biking, and there's only maybe 3-4 people in the world that get to do that full time. But upon realizing I wanted to do that after having just gotten married, and learning you really need to be a single 19 year old kid willing to travel at the drop of a hat, I couldn't do it. I shot a wedding shortly thereafter and had so much fun that I fell in love with meeting new and awesome couples, and celebrating with them.

Sep 20, 2013 at 04:43 PM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Were weddings your first choice?

I wanted to shoot for National Geographic and live off print sales and my landscape photography. I started shooting weddings to make an income until I got my big break.

That was twenty years ago. I'm still waiting........

Gordon

Sep 20, 2013 at 09:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

myam203
• • •
p.1 #7 · Were weddings your first choice?

So, are you happy Gordon?

Sep 20, 2013 at 10:06 PM
D. Diggler
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Were weddings your first choice?

WNStudio wrote:
restaurant owner

Restaurants, at least in the US, are really hurting right now. Going out of business right and left, especially the mom and pop places.

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:57 AM
jb1970
• •
p.1 #9 · Were weddings your first choice?

I used to love wildlife photography as a hobby. Had no interest in weddings at all. I always said I would never try and photograph a wedding until one day I helped out a friend second shooting. It's been a steep learning curve but I really enjoy it now (although find it hard work). If I didn't get the satisfaction from photographing weddings I wouldn't do it.

Sep 21, 2013 at 07:54 AM
paregorike
• • •
p.1 #10 · Were weddings your first choice?

I was an undercover CIA agent. My cover was a fashion photographer, who migrated into wedding photography. I liked it. So I quit the CIA gig.

Ron

Sep 21, 2013 at 09:56 AM
flash
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Were weddings your first choice?

myam203 wrote:
So, are you happy Gordon?

After 5 years I was shooting 60 a year. Frustrated because I didn't want to be shooting people. I was seriously burnt out. So I took a 6 month break that turned into two years in Africa. Came back broke and got a gig as a wedding/underwater/resort shootter on an island for two years. Shot everything from editorial work to dive work for brochures. Rode to work in a chopper three days per week and on and off boats the rest. Actually got to assist during a Nat Geo shoot. Four days of loading film backs, carrying gear and helping scout locations by chopper over the Great Barrier Reef (hardy reef actually). One of those shots ended up a double fold spread in the magazine. Although I didn't shoot a frame, I got a buz seeing that shot in print as I was there when it happened. But also realised that I actually looked forward to the weddings most off all.

Moved to the mainland. Started flash Gordon Photography. That was 16 years ago. Been happy ever since. Especially when all my mates start on about their "real" jobs. Mind you I don't shoot exclusively weddings. About half my income comes from commercial work like products and real estate. I couldn't just shoot weddings. I try to keep it to less than 30 per year. The variety keeps me motivated.

Gordon

Sep 21, 2013 at 11:39 AM
RSpears

p.1 #12 · Were weddings your first choice?

I bought my first SLR to take pictures of my son almost 30 years ago. I started taking the camera to motorcycle rallies. I got good enough at taking pictures at rallies that I had several published in a variety of biker magazines. I was having fun and up to my ears in naked, tattooed girls. Fun, but not really making any money. Then one of my biker friends asked me to shoot his wedding.

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:41 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password