Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Over-exposed GBH Head

Paulspix
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Over-exposed GBH Head

RRRRGGGHH!!

How do you expose for the face of a GBH

What's Up Dude!

Canon EOS 60D    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens    400mm    f/9.0    1/640s    800 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Sep 19, 2013 at 08:27 PM
dgdg
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Over-exposed GBH Head

cool shot.
looks like you had some sweet dawn light on those two. The brightest is beaming on that white head! You can't recover the highlights if it's over exposed? You are pretty close.
Well, for exposing those white heads, you can take a shot and see if you clipped with highlight alerts on in the image preview on your lcd. Then you can use exposure compensation or go straight to manual mode, whichever you prefer. Spot metering can sometimes get you closer. Raw can be more forgiving compared to jpeg.

Edited on Sep 19, 2013 at 08:36 PM · View previous versions

Sep 19, 2013 at 08:33 PM
cadman342001
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Over-exposed GBH Head

First of all, what a great environmental shot you got there !

It is difficult, what PP are you using ? I find you can recover a lot of highlights in LR4.

Andy

Sep 19, 2013 at 08:33 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Over-exposed GBH Head

What a great shot ! Love seeing the mist and deer , very nice. I use spot metering quite a bit and recover what I can in post.

Birdie

Sep 19, 2013 at 08:37 PM
dorian
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Over-exposed GBH Head

this shot is more about the environment and his deer companion that a few whites that may be a bit bright. you got a cool image, so who cares! yeah, if this were a close-up portrait of the heron you'd want to get the light right, but this is something a bit more unique.....

dorian

Sep 19, 2013 at 08:50 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Over-exposed GBH Head

Paulspix wrote:
RRRRGGGHH!!

How do you expose for the face of a GBH

Get the deer to hold the light...

How to shoot GBH heads depends on how you are shooting - manual or "auto". Test shots help - if you have time. When I shoot them in good light, I start at -2/3 stops if in AV. If the light is not changing fast, (like sun to shadow), I may switch to manual for better control. However, if there are fast moving clouds, or the heron is moving in and out of the light, I'll stay in AV.

Ron

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:46 PM
Thang
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Over-exposed GBH Head

If this was taken in raw the GbH face can easily be recovered via LR5. Can't remember the name of the command but it is very similar to U-Point in Nikon Capture NX but only more powerful. You can selectively pick a small area of an image to recover highlight or to pull out details...

I like this image especially the mood.

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:55 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Over-exposed GBH Head

This is a wonderful image...mood, mood, mood.....not every shot has to have perfect techs to be oh so pleasing to the eye.
Eric

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Over-exposed GBH Head

I would suggest exposing for the grey body and the head will fall into place. Just like a grey card in the old days.

I will go against the crowd here and say once again that you cannot recover blown highlights. Sure you can tone them down but you can pull detail out of them if they are truly blown, IE RGB values over 255.

That said, I love the feel to the environment in this shot.

Tim

Sep 20, 2013 at 01:19 PM
greg pasek
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Over-exposed GBH Head

Agree with Dorian, The highlights are so minimal, who cares. My bigger concern is that the horizon is off. I feel like I'm falling over. Still, Awesome shot!

Sep 20, 2013 at 01:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Over-exposed GBH Head

Tim Kuhn wrote:
I will go against the crowd here and say once again that you cannot recover blown highlights. Sure you can tone them down but you can pull detail out of them if they are truly blown, IE RGB values over 255.
Tim

Can't disagree with this. At least the GBH isn't black and white.

Sep 20, 2013 at 02:16 PM
Rytr
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Over-exposed GBH Head

Ah, what a potential shot! Still like it but if the highlights are blown no way to recover color.

Sep 20, 2013 at 02:52 PM
sanjayg
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Over-exposed GBH Head

Cool shot - on few occasions that I shoot GBH, I just go into Aperture priority and then use negative exposure compensation until the highlights don't blink any more. The overall picture will be somewhat dark (some times quite dark) and then I use Shadow recovery in post. My $0.02.

Sep 20, 2013 at 03:06 PM
Christian H
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Over-exposed GBH Head

Why not spot meter the heron's face? Though it's not clear that you'd have gotten much more detail given what appear to be distant subjects on a misty morning, plus the huge crop. A larger f-stop would have helped blur the cluttered background, though, which - besides looking better - can generate the impression of there being more detail in the in-focus area of an image than there really is.

Sep 20, 2013 at 03:08 PM
Paulspix
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Over-exposed GBH Head

dgdg wrote:
cool shot.
looks like you had some sweet dawn light on those two. The brightest is beaming on that white head! You can't recover the highlights if it's over exposed? You are pretty close.
Well, for exposing those white heads, you can take a shot and see if you clipped with highlight alerts on in the image preview on your lcd. Then you can use exposure compensation or go straight to manual mode, whichever you prefer. Spot metering can sometimes get you closer. Raw can be more forgiving compared to jpeg.

Yep, sweet dawn light filtered by light fog ... I do shoot in RAW but must admit that I shy away from using hilight alerts ... guess I gotta do that.
Thanks
Paul

Sep 20, 2013 at 05:02 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Over-exposed GBH Head

The simple solution (before taking the shot) would have been to have your camera set for auto-bracketing. Then with the properly-exposed shot and the under-exposed shot both open in Photoshop, you would simply clone (set for Darken) from one to the other.

The only time this does not work is if the subject is moving too quickly for a 3-shot burst.

And your shot is definitely tilted.

Sep 20, 2013 at 05:26 PM
OccAeon
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Over-exposed GBH Head

Very nice.

Sep 20, 2013 at 06:33 PM
Paulspix
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Over-exposed GBH Head

cadman342001 wrote:
First of all, what a great environmental shot you got there !

It is difficult, what PP are you using ? I find you can recover a lot of highlights in LR4.

Andy

Andy:
When I first saw the gbh I was up river farther and he was doing the open wing thing to catch the emerging sunshine but he got nervous and closed them up when he saw me coming.

I only have Elements11 for PP
P

Sep 21, 2013 at 05:08 AM
Paulspix
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Over-exposed GBH Head

birdied wrote:
What a great shot ! Love seeing the mist and deer , very nice. I use spot metering quite a bit and recover what I can in post.

Birdie

Hi Birdie and thanks ... I was using spot metering and focused on his body. From that distance his head was pretty small.

Here is the full frame right when the doe strolled into the viewfinder ...
Paul

Hey ... There's a Big Bird

Canon EOS 60D    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens    400mm    f/9.0    1/640s    800 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Sep 21, 2013 at 05:47 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Over-exposed GBH Head

I think the bright head is fine and snaps the viewers head to it. You could easily darken it in post. You might want to level the photo before printing it.

Morris

Sep 21, 2013 at 01:57 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password