Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · A small article I wrote about trash the dress sessions

CareyNash
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A small article I wrote about trash the dress sessions

I think trash the dress sessions still seem to scare so many couples off so I decided to write a small article about why I love them in the hopes that it changes some potential clients minds. Feel free to give it a read and let me know what you think.

Ultimately I'm hoping for some feedback and some critiques you may have and I'll do my best to clean up the article and make some changes if needed. It's also geared to some of my brides and groom that may be sitting on the fence about doing one. Thanks for the help.

Trash the Dress Article

Edited on Sep 19, 2013 at 07:29 PM · View previous versions

Sep 19, 2013 at 01:54 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A small article I wrote about trash the dress sessions

Third edit: I've decided there was no way to ask the question I was asking in a way that didn't sound snarky, which wasn't my intent.

Edited on Sep 19, 2013 at 02:12 PM · View previous versions

Sep 19, 2013 at 02:06 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A small article I wrote about trash the dress sessions

I like it when people point out mistakes on my website which will bother grammarian brides. If you don't, then just ignore the following, while accepting my compliments for your having images 3x better than mine.

1st paragraph, 3rd sentence- "has come along way"
Should be "a long way".

You asked for feedback, right?

Sep 19, 2013 at 02:08 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A small article I wrote about trash the dress sessions

Didn't read, but nice photos.

Also, Texas can suck it.

Sep 19, 2013 at 02:13 PM
CareyNash
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A small article I wrote about trash the dress sessions

by all means....I'm not made of glass.lol thanks for the help and I'll fix it now

Sep 19, 2013 at 02:14 PM
CareyNash
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A small article I wrote about trash the dress sessions

I was hoping for help with the editing if possible and to see what others think about them. I'm actually surprised that we aren't seeing more brides do them in leiu of wedding "day" photography. Really there is no reason we can do wedding photos after the wedding aside from tradition, is there?

Sep 19, 2013 at 02:18 PM
CareyNash
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A small article I wrote about trash the dress sessions

CareyNash wrote:
I think trash the dress sessions still seem to scare so many couples off so I decided to write a small article about why I love them in the hopes that it changes some peoples minds. Feel free to give it a read and let me know what you think.

Trash the Dress Article

Yes, any grammitcal help would be great and purely hoping to hear more discussion on it from others. I'm starting to see more brides do it but often why I don't see it more often everywhere.

Sep 19, 2013 at 02:19 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A small article I wrote about trash the dress sessions

Me, too... seems like many brides like artistic images in the planning stage. Then hair, makeup, etc. run late, the formals take too long, and "We'll do the artistic images during the reception". Yeah, right- like dragging a drunk couple off the dance floor is ever going to happen.

CareyNash wrote:
I'm actually surprised that we aren't seeing more brides do them in leiu of wedding "day" photography.

Sep 19, 2013 at 02:22 PM
dunderwood
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A small article I wrote about trash the dress sessions

They're not really wedding photos if it's not at the wedding. This is more like a bridal session, + groom, scheduled for after the wedding so folks are less harried.

Your photos are great, but you could use some more proofreading. In particular, your section titled What things to consider if you do a day after or trash session? threw me off a bit. (To where I was more distracted by the wording than amazed by the photos).

The parenthetical asides with "lol.)" in them seem awkward, and I'm not sure I'd use this phrase: Shit, at the end of every session I’m pretty certain I’m more dirty that you are and I wear my clothes many times over.haha

You may be targeting a particular type of client who would find that funny, but I think for most people the language at the beginning plus the implication that your work clothes are just as important as her dress would combine to be a bit offsetting. I think you can stress the idea that it's ok to get the dress dirty without going quite so over the top as to make it sound like the dress isn't important at all.

Like I said, the photos are amazing. I think this page might be strengthened by an occasional caption or reference to the photos, because they're very good and I wish I knew more about them.

Sep 19, 2013 at 02:27 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A small article I wrote about trash the dress sessions

I like the images, the explanation or commentary or whatever you call it is okay, not so impressed with the cussing but I guess that is how to talk to your clients and they don't mind, it turned me off from wanting to read everything you wrote.

Sep 19, 2013 at 02:27 PM
CareyNash
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A small article I wrote about trash the dress sessions

Nikon_14 wrote:
Me, too... seems like many brides like artistic images in the planning stage. Then hair, makeup, etc. run late, the formals take too long, and "We'll do the artistic images during the reception". Yeah, right- like dragging a drunk couple off the dance floor is ever going to happen.

I really started to question it when I had a couple hire me and then had a huge wedding party and wanted tonnes of bridal party shots. I'm very cool with that of course but found myself struggling to find time for shots of "just them". The wedding days are so tight that balancing everything is very difficult where as a day after shoot we have so much flexibility

Sep 19, 2013 at 02:28 PM
CareyNash
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A small article I wrote about trash the dress sessions

dunderwood wrote:
They're not really wedding photos if it's not at the wedding. This is more like a bridal session, + groom, scheduled for after the wedding so folks are less harried.

Your photos are great, but you could use some more proofreading. In particular, your section titled What things to consider if you do a day after or trash session? threw me off a bit. (To where I was more distracted by the wording than amazed by the photos).

The parenthetical asides with "lol.)" in them seem awkward, and I'm not sure I'd use this phrase:

You may be targeting a particular type
...Show more

Thanks for help with the caption..you are right..I read it over and it seems confusing. I can't do anything about the swearing though, I do swear and my clients are aware of it so I don't like to pretend I don't even in my writing. I really appreciate the help as it's certainly not my strong suit

Sep 19, 2013 at 02:36 PM
CareyNash
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A small article I wrote about trash the dress sessions

sherijohnson wrote:
I like the images, the explanation or commentary or whatever you call it is okay, not so impressed with the cussing but I guess that is how to talk to your clients and they don't mind, it turned me off from wanting to read everything you wrote.

I don't swear at them, haha, but I do on occasion swear and don't hide it. I know it turn some others off and I'm sorry that it does but we have to be honest about ourselves. Thanks for taking some time to look it over and I very much appreciate it.

Sep 19, 2013 at 02:39 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A small article I wrote about trash the dress sessions

CareyNash wrote:
I'm actually surprised that we aren't seeing more brides do them in leiu of wedding "day" photography.

Gimme some of what yer smokin', man.

Sep 19, 2013 at 07:45 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A small article I wrote about trash the dress sessions

Nikon_14 wrote:
seems like many brides like artistic images in the planning stage. Then hair, makeup, etc. run late, the formals take too long, and "We'll do the artistic images during the reception". Yeah, right

I can tell you've been around the block more than once.

Sep 19, 2013 at 07:49 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A small article I wrote about trash the dress sessions

You used the "awesome" twice in almost the same paragraph....Awesome has turned into one of those words that needs to be banned.
I swear too but I don;t swear on my advertising, it's not really as cool as it may seem.

Otherwise great photos.

Edited on Sep 19, 2013 at 10:44 PM · View previous versions

Sep 19, 2013 at 07:53 PM
CareyNash
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A small article I wrote about trash the dress sessions

D. Diggler wrote:
Gimme some of what yer smokin', man.

I had three this year. All of these couples didn't have big weddings and didn't need a very expensive package and all decided to have a friend or less expensive option on their wedding day. Instead they opted for an afternoon/evening session on a sunday or week day. To me it made perfect sense and I have no problem creating an affordable package for lets say this past Mondays shoot which I rarely have any weddings booked so I'm very excited about the option. Thats' what I mean when I say I'm surprised I haven't seen more of it.

Sep 19, 2013 at 07:59 PM
CareyNash
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · A small article I wrote about trash the dress sessions

Micky Bill wrote:
You used the "awesome" twice in almost the same paragraph....Awesome hase turned into one of those words that needs to be banned.
I swear too but I don;t swear on my advertising, it's not really as cool as it may seem.

Otherwise great photos.

Thanks Mickey. I'll look into the awesome double usage.

Sep 19, 2013 at 08:02 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · A small article I wrote about trash the dress sessions

CareyNash wrote:
I had three this year.

I thought Trash The Dress was one of those fads that was supposed to be on the way out. I, myself, have never had a single person inquire about it.

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · A small article I wrote about trash the dress sessions

Just start doing bridal shows.

D. Diggler wrote:
Trash The Dress was one of those fads that was supposed to be on the way out. I, myself, have never had a single person inquire about it.

Sep 20, 2013 at 07:48 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.