Upload & Sell: On
Some weeks ago, FM Lighting forum members were supportive in my asking of questions related to an event shoot that I was required to do. I was, in particular, anxious about needing to use strobes as I felt only comfortable with continues or available light. I'll post results of what I walked away with, and a btw setup that shows the 4-speedlight setup. The images shown below are post-processed final versions.
1) Canon 1Dx, 24-70 II at about 60mm, and 580ex II speedlights (4ea)
2) Photix Odin system, all speedlights manual
3) Fills: 60" silver umbrella (2ea), each loaded with 580ex II - Odin Group A - Generally @ 1/2 power
4) Main key, top camera left Westcott 43" Apollo Orb softbox, loaded with 580, Odin Group B, Generally @ 1/4 power
5) Secondary Key (added key on dogs' faces), bottom camera left Westcott 28" Apollo soft box, loaded with 580, Odin Group C, Generally @ 1/8 Power
The 580's were fitted with a 3rd party battery pack Yongnuo YN-560 ($50 on Amazon) to reduce recycle time and lengthen the day.
My mistakes were to have not replaced the speedlight batteries throughout the day, as recycle time began to lag and I missed too many shots where the fills, in particular, didn't fire. I think my key lights should probably have been managed differently, as there wasn't much "key" by the time it reached subjects at camera right. So this left a fair amount of post work to cover those areas toward frame-right. The muslin wasn't taped adequately to the carpet floor, and this too, left post work to get rid of wrinkles.
It didn't take long to see that more strobe power would have allowed me to work at f11 and lower ISO, instead the 8-9 and ISO 500 that prevailed here.
I thank the Forum here for their support, and I walk away from this 1st-time project with some feeling that I could do better next time.
Many thanks to all.
Best West Hotel Ballroom Corner
Edited on Oct 20, 2013 at 12:33 AM · View previous versions