Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

NEX6 50mm-e options?

joekraft
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · NEX6 50mm-e options?

I have been looking to get a 50mm-e lens, and not sure I love the native options right now. I'd like something faster than the sigma, something cheaper than the touit, and something better in IQ than the 35. The proviso is that my experience with the 35 is just virtual right now.

I sold a ze35 because I just didn't like the size/handling of it on the nex, but I think I could handle MF for the right lens.
How would a Biogon compare to a distagon in this focal length with the crop factor - would it be the same kind of 3d-ness?

What other options would folks recommend for this range? Bang for the buck would take priority over absolute image value, but if it were a case that I could get an m-mount for about the same as what I sold the ze for ($700ish), I would consider something like that. I wouldn't want to spend much more than what a touit would go for however...

Thanks

Sep 19, 2013 at 05:31 PM
legaltrouble
• •
p.1 #2 · NEX6 50mm-e options?

The CV 35/1.4 is quite good. So is the Contax G 35/2

Sep 19, 2013 at 05:41 PM
joekraft
• • • •
p.1 #3 · NEX6 50mm-e options?

Thanks. I've no experience with Contax lenses, other than seeing the images here. That's a G mount, and the CV would be an m mount?

Sep 19, 2013 at 05:51 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · NEX6 50mm-e options?

Rokkor-M 40mm or the summicron-c version.

Sep 19, 2013 at 05:54 PM
Peire
• • •
p.1 #5 · NEX6 50mm-e options?

Pentax M 35/2 ,Canon FD 35/2 (SSC and nFD) ,OM Zuiko 35/2,Konica AR 35/2,Contax G Planar 35/2,Nikon AI(S) 35/2,Konica AR 40/1.8,Rokkor 35/1.8 MC/MD or just "plain" MD 35/1.8.

Sep 19, 2013 at 06:08 PM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.1 #6 · NEX6 50mm-e options?

the downside to all the SLR mount optics is what he's probably trying to avoid, and what i'd like to avoid as well- SIZE. SLR lens + required thick adapter = bigger than needed/wanted on a small NEX.
I'm using the Nikon 35/2 AIS + Zhongyi Lens Turbo. It is fun and gives me the look I want, but it's far from small. Affordable, though I've got ~$300 into that lens/adapter combo.

I would think that currently, the smallest solution with the best look, for the most reasonable amount of money and ease of use/adapting- would be the Voigtlander 35/1.4...

Sep 19, 2013 at 07:40 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · NEX6 50mm-e options?

If you want across the frame sharpness, avoid the Voigtlander 35/1.4. It's more of a "vibe" lens. The ZM 35s are much better across the frame, but they do have slight color shift, if you're picky. The Contax G 35/2 is decent all around, but isn't sharp like its 45/2 brother, or either of the ZM 35s.

Sep 19, 2013 at 08:27 PM
Jabberwockt
• • •
p.1 #8 · NEX6 50mm-e options?

The G35 is a good suggestion. I think the Contax G35 is like the normal regular kid growing up in a family of talented overachievers. It's MTF is near Identical to that of the summicron 35 and I don't ever recall hearing anyone ever say that its not sharp enough, but it constantly gets overshadowed by the G45 which is brilliant.

Sep 19, 2013 at 08:58 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · NEX6 50mm-e options?

Jabberwockt wrote:
The G35 is a good suggestion. I think the Contax G35 is like the normal regular kid growing up in a family of talented overachievers. It's MTF is near Identical to that of the summicron 35 and I don't ever recall hearing anyone ever say that its not sharp enough, but it constantly gets overshadowed by the G45 which is brilliant.

neither the g35 or summicron version IV are sharp enough. there now you've heard it. they both have pretty terrible bokeh wide open too.

both are great at f/4-f/11 (with Very nice bokeh), though corners are still a weakness compared to truly great lenses.

don't bother putting your subject of center at f/2-f/2.8 though.

i don't think the cv 35/1.4 will give you substantially better performance than the sony in most respects.

i've personally been going with the 40 cron as my "normal" and am very happy with it (though i wish it was one stop faster).

the cv 35/2.5 and cv 35/1.2 are extremely good, and i've also heard good things about the cv 35/1.7 (at least compared to the 1.4).

Sep 19, 2013 at 09:43 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.1 #10 · NEX6 50mm-e options?

I found the Sigma 30/2.8 simply superb on my NEX 6 bodies. Best value lens I have EVER bought. Excellent across the frame wide open. Did you see the Roger Cicala lens tests of this and the 19/2.8? Super impressive.

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sholt

p.1 #11 · NEX6 50mm-e options?

Just for conversation, what are the recognized faults of the Sony E mount 35?

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:36 PM
Jabberwockt
• • •
p.1 #12 · NEX6 50mm-e options?

I think one could easily spend more money and do worse.

It kind of depends on personal threshold for acceptable sharpness. The Contax35/1.4 for example doesn't nearly have the resolving power of the ZE/ZF equivalent, but i still kind of like it. The G35, it isnt perfect but it isn't bad either. It's at least average...

I have a 40/2 in my mailbox, I hope you are right about it.

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:48 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · NEX6 50mm-e options?

Kit Laughlin wrote:
I found the Sigma 30/2.8 simply superb on my NEX 6 bodies. Best value lens I have EVER bought. Excellent across the frame wide open. Did you see the Roger Cicala lens tests of this and the 19/2.8? Super impressive.

Agreed. If the solid build quality and manual focusing/aperture of the M lenses aren't a necessity, and f2.8 is enough, you can't really beat the Sigma 30 for anywhere near the price, at least technically. I still have mine on the old NEX-5 as my emergency backup to the RX1.

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:50 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · NEX6 50mm-e options?

sholt wrote:
Just for conversation, what are the recognized faults of the Sony E mount 35?

It's merely good at wide apertures. Stopped down it gets excellent. Also it's got the typical E mount rendering, which is not high in microcontrast.

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:19 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · NEX6 50mm-e options?

The Nikkor 35/1.4 AI-S is relatively small (noticably smaller than the ZE 35/2), fast, excellent stopped down and reasonable at wide apertures (quite sharp in the centre, but CA-prone).

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:26 PM
ytwong
• • •
p.1 #16 · NEX6 50mm-e options?

mawz wrote:
It's merely good at wide apertures. Stopped down it gets excellent. Also it's got the typical E mount rendering, which is not high in microcontrast.

Exactly. wide aperture is for DOF or last resort only.(bad PF with light source) It certainly does not have zeiss pop but sharpness is excellent when stopped down.

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:39 AM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · NEX6 50mm-e options?

mawz wrote:

Less than 5m, I don't think you have to stop it down too far to get decent performance. f/2.2 seemed to give the best bokeh and was sharp enough in the center. Way too expensive for what you get, though. If it were priced closer to the 50/1.8, it'd be a better value.

Sep 20, 2013 at 05:10 AM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · NEX6 50mm-e options?

freaklikeme wrote:
Less than 5m, I don't think you have to stop it down too far to get decent performance. f/2.2 seemed to give the best bokeh and was sharp enough in the center. Way too expensive for what you get, though. If it were priced closer to the 50/1.8, it'd be a better value.

It does sharpen up pretty quick in the centre, but it doesn't get really excellent until f4.

I do agree it's more a case of value than performance. Frankly it should be a $200 lens and would be reasonable at $300 but at its current pricing it's too much money for not enough performance at wide apertures.

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:51 AM
joekraft
• • • •
p.1 #19 · NEX6 50mm-e options?

douglasf13 wrote:
If you want across the frame sharpness, avoid the Voigtlander 35/1.4. It's more of a "vibe" lens. The ZM 35s are much better across the frame, but they do have slight color shift, if you're picky. The Contax G 35/2 is decent all around, but isn't sharp like its 45/2 brother, or either of the ZM 35s.

So the color shift would be an issue even at 35mm on the 6. Hmm. I have no experience with color shift other than on this forum, that is something that would bother me probably.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, I appreciate it. I have some researching to do. I'll be looking at the NEX pictures thread more closely to see examples of the lenses mentioned here.

@ISO1600 - You are right. I really like the ergonomics of the kit with a native lens, and want to keep it small if possible. It was an exercise in frustration for me to put a big 'ol ZE grenade on the front of it, plus the adapter.

@Kit, douglas, [others] - I do have a little experience with the sigma, and at it's price, there is a very good chance I fall back to that while looking at others. I would like something faster than 4ish(?) (effective), but at the same time, I like that it is has a slightly wider FOV.

Sep 20, 2013 at 04:24 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · NEX6 50mm-e options?

joekraft wrote:
So the color shift would be an issue even at 35mm on the 6. Hmm. I have no experience with color shift other than on this forum, that is something that would bother me probably.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, I appreciate it. I have some researching to do. I'll be looking at the NEX pictures thread more closely to see examples of the lenses mentioned here.

@ISO1600 - You are right. I really like the ergonomics of the kit with a native lens, and want to keep it small if possible. It was an exercise in frustration for me to
...Show more

The color shift is minor with the ZM 35/2, and a bit more noticeable with the ZM 35/2.8, so it just depends how picky you are. You may not notice it at all, but I thought I should mention it (this is with my experience with the NEX-5N.)

Outside of the Sigma 30, if I was still actively shooting NEX, I'd probably just get the Touit 32, myself.

Sep 20, 2013 at 05:19 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password