Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · "For my first wedding, I wish I had......"

divamum
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · "For my first wedding, I wish I had......"

You were all so helpful about my lighting query that I'm risking sticking my neck out a second time (and thanks in advance!)

What were those things you wish you had known BEFORE you shot your first wedding?

My first is on Saturday. I have never shot a wedding and have in fact turned several down, but this is a friend as well as former client and she talked me into it Some background:
- I've been shooting portraits and performance photography for a couple of years
- yes, there's a contract
- I have an experienced wedding pro joining me (worth every penny for the peace of mind!)
- 5dII/7d + fast glass + speedlights + modifiers + liability insurance
- I'm attending the rehearsal
- they are providing us with vendor food
- I've already packed a white wooden hanger

And... GO!

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:28 AM
bwield
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · "For my first wedding, I wish I had......"

Relax. Slow Down. Think

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · "For my first wedding, I wish I had......"

For my first wedding I wish I had... more skills?

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:59 AM
g-money
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · "For my first wedding, I wish I had......"

For my first wedding I wish I had...Charged more!

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:12 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · "For my first wedding, I wish I had......"

f8 and be there.

Don't get hung up about equipment. The photo that might be better if taken with a 35mm instead of a 50mm lens doesn't matter if you missed the shot changing lenses.

Talk to the officiant and get the rules of the road. Make sure you follow them.

Remember there are guests. Try to be unobtrusive.

Communicate with the B&G and manage expectations. If they want 20 different combos for the formals, make sure they understand it will take time (20 setups x 3 minutes per = 1 hour for formals. Shoot from large to small groups on the formals so you can release folks. The more time that passes, the harder it is to manage the crowd.

Be calm, especially if the bride is nervous. Folks will feed off your demeanor. You can be a calming influence. Be confident!

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · "For my first wedding, I wish I had......"

Shooting my 1st wedding as a Lead, I wished I had had more experience working as an assistant or 2nd. But nowadays that's all but impossible, so...

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Anoop Shah
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · "For my first wedding, I wish I had......"

To build on Nikon_14 - for my first wedding I wish I had an assistant. Someone just to help and not shoot. Someone to carry a bag here and there, to hold a lens, light, etc., to look for parking so I could jump out and shoot, to make sure I ate and drank plenty of fluids, to do a bit of crowd control and time management.

My first wedding was a 16 hour Indian wedding marathon. I did it for next to nothing so I couldn't justify paying someone else to help - that changed very very quickly.

Anoop

Sep 19, 2013 at 04:12 PM
Daboyle
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · "For my first wedding, I wish I had......"

proper off camera lighting

Sep 19, 2013 at 04:42 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · "For my first wedding, I wish I had......"

As dmacmillan said, managing crowds for group shots is tricky especially if they are drinking. Start with the biggest group and get smaller from there, so you can release people to go back to the party. Enlist a family member to wrangle people for the group shots, someone who knows everyone and can find Aunt Mildred and line up the group reqd for the next shot etc

Manage the schedule so you get some time with the B&G plus the wedding party for formals (preferably when there's nice light available), and keep an eye on the clock.

For the formals, take the wedding party to a different location if you can, you don't need to spend too much time driving but it gets you away from the guests and uncle bobs, and you get the undivided attention of the B&G

Watch your backgrounds (but I'm sure you do that already)

Sep 19, 2013 at 04:51 PM
JR PhotoNY
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · "For my first wedding, I wish I had......"

Understand light...

Sep 19, 2013 at 04:55 PM
tpham

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · "For my first wedding, I wish I had......"

I would spend a lot more time discussing the timeline with the bride and groom before the wedding to make sure everyone is on the same page. It makes it a lot easier to create great images when you are given the time to do it.

Sep 19, 2013 at 06:03 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · "For my first wedding, I wish I had......"

keep it SIMPLE

and (0:

just do it,

heiko

Sep 19, 2013 at 06:53 PM
divamum
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · "For my first wedding, I wish I had......"

Wow, what awesome comments guys!

I'm relieved that quite a few of these are already in hand (expectations, timeline, separate time for bg pix - not as much time as I'd like, but at least it's built-in to the day - crowd wrangler etc), and you've given me some other great pointers.

Keep 'em coming - this is great!!

Sep 19, 2013 at 06:57 PM
masaookano
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · "For my first wedding, I wish I had......"

- I wish I was okay with moving on if a portrait idea isn't working.
- I wish I was more assertive during family formals

Sep 19, 2013 at 07:37 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · "For my first wedding, I wish I had......"

- I wish I wasn't so timid about adjusting/changing the scene if it wasn't ideal and wasn't disruptive.
- I wish I had a car and didn't skimp on a rental by taking public transit.

Sep 19, 2013 at 08:10 PM
photosymbol
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · "For my first wedding, I wish I had......"

divamum wrote:
You were all so helpful about my lighting query that I'm risking sticking my neck out a second time (and thanks in advance!)

What were those things you wish you had known BEFORE you shot your first wedding?

My first is on Saturday. I have never shot a wedding and have in fact turned several down, but this is a friend as well as former client and she talked me into it Some background:
- I've been shooting portraits and performance photography for a couple of years
- yes, there's a contract
- I have an experienced wedding pro joining me (worth every
...Show more

Your website address in your profile.

Sep 19, 2013 at 09:10 PM
divamum
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · "For my first wedding, I wish I had......"

photosymbol wrote:
Your website address in your profile.

Oops. I had it (I thought) as my signature, but apparently not (?). Have tweaked profile. Lemme know if it shows up

Sep 19, 2013 at 09:15 PM
nforcier27

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · "For my first wedding, I wish I had......"

Wish I hadn't worried so much about it being my first wedding and replaced nerves with confidence. You will over think everything before it happens, and when it does, none of that will matter and you will react to your surroundings (I just had my first in June, best experience I've ever had). Best of luck!

Sep 20, 2013 at 06:43 AM
MalachiConstant
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · "For my first wedding, I wish I had......"

At the end of the day it is about the couple having a great experience on their wedding day.

I try to keep that at the top of my mind and it dictates all of my actions (or inactions just as importantly) throughout the event.

Sep 20, 2013 at 10:25 AM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · "For my first wedding, I wish I had......"

a damn clue.

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:40 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.