New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Bloomberg: Smartphone Cameras Pressure Canikon

snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bloomberg: Smartphone Cameras Pressure Canikon

"Since Apple Inc. introduced the iPhone in 2007, Canon and Nikon stocks have lost more than half their value as demand has withered in an industry they have dominated for over a decade. Nikon is the worst performer in the Nikkei 225 (NKY) index this year, falling 34 percent"

"Sales of compact models have slumped as smartphones displace the point-and-shoots that were the biggest part of the market. Now higher margin single-lens reflex models -- a market 80 percent controlled by Canon and Nikon -- are slowing as well"

Article Link

Sep 19, 2013 at 09:49 AM
JohnJ
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bloomberg: Smartphone Cameras Pressure Canikon

I would buy a 'smart camera', where the camera is the primary device and the phone an appendage, over a 'smart phone' where the camera is an appendage. If Apple, a computer company, can buy/develop phone technology then surely CaNikon can too so I wonder why they haven't already.

Sep 19, 2013 at 04:30 PM
U.C.
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bloomberg: Smartphone Cameras Pressure Canikon

Sales of DSLR's are slowing down because of mirroless camera's en large sensor compacts. Not by phones (yet).

Sep 19, 2013 at 04:35 PM
riotshield
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bloomberg: Smartphone Cameras Pressure Canikon

U.C. wrote:
Sales of DSLR's are slowing down because of mirroless camera's en large sensor compacts. Not by phones (yet).

The last industry numbers I saw showed that mirrorless sales also fell and did not capture market share over DSLR. I think camera sales in general are slowing because of the economy and diminishing returns of new features. It's like what's happening with the latest generation of smartphones, and what already happened to computers and TVs (not enough improvements to justify upgrading).

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bloomberg: Smartphone Cameras Pressure Canikon

riotshield wrote:
The last industry numbers I saw showed that mirrorless sales also fell and did not capture market share over DSLR. I think camera sales in general are slowing because of the economy and diminishing returns of new features. It's like what's happening with the latest generation of smartphones, and what already happened to computers and TVs (not enough improvements to justify upgrading).

I think you are largely right, and the only thing the camera manufacturers can hope for are new, emerging markets, particularly in Asia. But that will only succeed if they can offer products that are good enough and cheap enough. Even a slowing economy is probably just one of many reasons. Most people have probably figured out by now that changing camera and/or phone just to get the latest model makes little sense.

When that is said, my newest camera is a Nokia Lumia 808, and it works very well as backup for any camera I use, and sometimes it's the only one I carry.

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:54 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bloomberg: Smartphone Cameras Pressure Canikon

Smartphones have already forced one manufacturer (Olympus) out of the compact camera business completely, and I'm sure smartphones are eating into the mirrorless segment as well; I replaced my m4/3 cameras with an iPhone 4s.

Come to think about it, smartphones are, by definition, mirrorless cameras too...

Sep 21, 2013 at 09:44 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bloomberg: Smartphone Cameras Pressure Canikon

Jorgen Udvang wrote:
I think you are largely right, and the only thing the camera manufacturers can hope for are new, emerging markets, particularly in Asia. But that will only succeed if they can offer products that are good enough and cheap enough. Even a slowing economy is probably just one of many reasons. Most people have probably figured out by now that changing camera and/or phone just to get the latest model makes little sense.

When that is said, my newest camera is a Nokia Lumia 808, and it works very well as backup for any camera I use, and sometimes it's
...Show more

+1 Heaven forbid Canon and Nikon are forced to innovate and produce something people will actually want to buy!

Sep 21, 2013 at 10:50 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.