Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2013 · Priest calling out videographers/photographers

ricardovaste
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Priest calling out videographers/photographers

dmacmillan wrote:
I'm thinking since the couple chose to have a religious ceremony for their wedding instead of a civil ceremony, that they share some of the beliefs of the institution to which both they and the priest belong.

We can only speculate on this, of course, but I appreciate this is for the purpose of discussion. For this specific example, we cannot know either way.

Over here my experiences are that whenever it's a Church wedding it's because of (a) parents/tradition (b) they "liked the idea" (c) they like the building (many are quite beautiful in their own right). I know this because people specify to me at some point during the process. In fact, the most spiritual/symbolic ceremony I've experienced was a civil ceremony, which lasted around 45-50 minutes. It was so simply because of the personal meaning they'd put into the service.

I personally prefer to work in a Church, because at least you can almost certainly speak to the priest/vicar way in advance. Whereas with a civil ceremony the registrar usually turns up and runs away as quick as they can, in my experience. They seem to be on very tight schedules, and well, some are polite, but given this I can understand why they're very to the point much of the time. Still, I prefer to have a real conversation!

Sep 20, 2013 at 02:34 PM
saturnkk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Priest calling out videographers/photographers

Ball was dropped by all parties.

Couple should have discussed this with the minister first.

Video guy should have discussed with the couple and minister first.

Priest/minister should have been friendlier about the situation and smiled and said how about you step over here...

This is when cluelessness collides! :-D

Sep 20, 2013 at 06:49 PM
tonyhart
• • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Priest calling out videographers/photographers

saturnkk wrote:
Ball was dropped by all parties.

Couple should have discussed this with the minister first.

Priest/minister should have been friendlier about the situation and smiled and said how about you step over here...

This is when cluelessness collides! :-D

As I've said multiple times, you have NO idea as to whether the photographer and videographer did or did not have a conversation with the officiant based on what is shown in this video. I'd imagine that they didn't speak prior, but you have no idea. Only your third point - about the minister being friendlier hold any water.

Sep 20, 2013 at 07:00 PM
saturnkk
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Priest calling out videographers/photographers

tonyhart wrote:
As I've said multiple times, you have NO idea as to whether the photographer and videographer did or did not have a conversation with the officiant based on what is shown in this video. I'd imagine that they didn't speak prior, but you have no idea. Only your third point - about the minister being friendlier hold any water.

Based on what I saw it was not worked out prior unless either the video guy or the priest are insane.

Sep 20, 2013 at 07:17 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Priest calling out videographers/photographers

ricardovaste wrote:
Over here my experiences are that whenever it's a Church wedding it's because of (a) parents/tradition (b) they "liked the idea" (c) they like the building (many are quite beautiful in their own right).

Regarding (c), we were members of the same church for over 20 years. It has a prominent edifice and since it is photogenic both inside and out, we had numerous requests by non-members to use it for their wedding. The church obliged for a while, but it became more and more costly and troublesome. The problems culminated when some idiot guest tried to flush a diaper down the toilet and caused over $12,000 in damages which the church had to pay (I don't think insurance covered all of the costs). After that the church discouraged the practice and started to require proof of liability insurance.

Our current (Episcopalian) church does not normally provide space for weddings for complete strangers. We believe a church wedding should be about more than just a pretty space. Luckily more and more commercial venues, some designed specifically for weddings, are available.

Sep 20, 2013 at 07:20 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Priest calling out videographers/photographers

saturnkk wrote:

Any video guy who wasn't completely clueless wouldn't have set up where he was, regardless if it was a religious ceremony or not. He's in the direct line of site of everyone looking at the couple!

Sep 21, 2013 at 01:07 AM
Patrick Elliott
• •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Priest calling out videographers/photographers

I first saw this here:

http://blog.theknot.com/2013/09/18/omg-priest-stops-a-wedding-to-yell-at-photographer/?cm_mmc=facebook-_-sep2013-_-blog-_-photographer

In the comments section, the person claiming to be the photographer says the following:

"I didnít yell back at the priest, only thing I asked him where you want me to be at. I did speak him before, asked him if there are any restrictions or rules, he told me ďdo not come in the aisleĒ, but when he started to argue I was actually at the back shooting with my 70-200mm. Most importantly I wasnít trying to get any attention. Iíve been shooting wedding for more than 8 years now."

In another comment he says:

"I am the photographer that crazy priest is yelling. I did speak him before, he told me not come in the aisle, but when he started to argue I was actually at the back shooting with my 70-200mm. He did not warn bride and groom before either about his rules. Everybody including bride and groom was horrified with his strange behavior. After the ceremony everyone came up and thanked me to be cool. No one at the ceremony was happy with his strange behavior. But I surely gave him piece of mind after the ceremony that he would never forget."

So, apparently, he did talk to the priest, and followed what he said, but it still wasn't good enough.

Sep 21, 2013 at 02:30 AM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Priest calling out videographers/photographers

I wonder if on priest forums they are all talking about the crazy photographers always getting in the way

Sep 21, 2013 at 07:40 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Priest calling out videographers/photographers

Patrick Elliott wrote:
So, apparently, he did talk to the priest, and followed what he said, but it still wasn't good enough.

I think you've entirely misunderstood the discussion Patrick - the photographer was wrong and terrible and evil and that is that . But yeah, pretty funny to find that out after all the assumptions that flew around here. Of course it's still not the "full story", but fills in some pretty big holes.

Micky Bill wrote:
I wonder if on priest forums they are all talking about the crazy photographers always getting in the way

I would dread to think about priests post on priest forums...

Sep 21, 2013 at 01:13 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Priest calling out videographers/photographers

GCasey wrote:
The priest is the main problem? Absolute nonsense!

It's obvious the videographer did not talk with the priest before the ceremony and assumed he could shoot as he pleased. The videographer made matters worse by arguing when the priest told him to leave. How many times did the priest tell him to leave?

. . . . And some photographers wonder why church develop policies for photographers.

It seemed to me that the priest was telling the photographer (who was the one going click click click click click and making all the noise) to leave and it was the photographer arguing back, not the video guy.

The priest merely lumped the video guy in with them. The video camera wouldn't be making a sound

Sep 21, 2013 at 02:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

hijazist
• • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Priest calling out videographers/photographers

If I were the photographer (regardless of whether I talked to the priest prior or not) I would definitely swallow it and move away in order to avoid a scene and avoid ruining such a sacred moment. I'd deal with the priest after the ceremony.

The priest is being a jerk and trying to reason with him is intellectual suicide. If the photographer had a 70-200 then he could have easily to a point where he's completely unnoticed and still get acceptable shots.

However, that's just me and I might be mistaken.

Sep 21, 2013 at 03:36 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Priest calling out videographers/photographers

tonyhart wrote:
2. If church weddings are primarily about God and not about the couple then so be it. I'm not a religious person and therefore don't deign to judge. However, if that's the case, those who hold such a view cannot bemoan the reduction of church going numbers. It's an either/or situation.

Ian Ivey wrote:
I don't know what this means. It sounds like a non sequitur about general church attendance, but I actually don't comprehend the point.

tonyhart wrote:
I'm saying that the actions of an individual or organisation such as a priest or church have ramifications on how people perceive those individuals
...Show more

A response that's "outside of the relevant subject matter," as you put it, is a non sequitur. Since I wasn't sure what you meant, I wasn't arguing with you or avoiding a point; I was just seeking clarification as to whether it was relevant in any way to the thread or, as I now see it was, a non sequitur.

Sep 21, 2013 at 06:46 PM
GCasey
• • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Priest calling out videographers/photographers

There's a tremendous amount of speculation going on in many comments. It's like a "he said, she said" conversation.

There are many helpful, valid points about what needs to agreed upon prior to the ceremony so everyone is on the same page.

It would help if someone had accurate information from one or more of the parties involved.

Sep 21, 2013 at 07:29 PM
ashton lamont
• •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Priest calling out videographers/photographers

It would help if someone had accurate information from one or more of the parties involved.

More background here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2426602/Minister-stops-wedding-ceremony-shout-photographers.html

It doesn't have to be like that of course.

I'm not sure how to embed a video in a post here, this clip on vimeo might redress the balance a bit:

http://vimeo.com/75159647

Pete

Sep 24, 2013 at 07:14 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Priest calling out videographers/photographers

Thanks for the link Pete.

This goes back to comments about how the priest handled the situation regardless of where the video/photographer was located. Yes, we can all agree that the video guy was in a horrible location and could have not asked the priest where he should go and just moved along. However, the priest could have made this a low tone request...or demand.

From the article:

"'[He] explained that he sees a lot of nervous young couples that get distracted by the photography and he wanted to prevent that. In this case though Rob and I were so in the moment we didn't even notice the camera noises.'"

and

"It became a topic of conversation throughout the night,' she said."

The priest could have done things different to help not become THE distraction.

Sep 24, 2013 at 07:33 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Priest calling out videographers/photographers

cordellwillis wrote:
The priest could have done things different to help not become THE distraction.

By the same token, the photographer and video guy could have done things differently to help not become THE distraction.

I hope both parties learned from the experience. He said he chewed out the priest later. That was not helpful.

Sep 24, 2013 at 09:06 PM
GCasey
• • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Priest calling out videographers/photographers

Don't assume nothin'

Sep 24, 2013 at 09:26 PM
rockant
• •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Priest calling out videographers/photographers

D. Diggler wrote:
He said, "please". What more do you want.

"Please" does not make something polite or respectful, it is only part of it.....

"Please go "F" yourself" will never pass as polite.

That being said, I do not think anyone handled the situation very well.

Anthony
"A guy who keeps turning down requests to photograph weddings"

Sep 24, 2013 at 09:43 PM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Priest calling out videographers/photographers

That priest is a douche

Sep 24, 2013 at 10:12 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell