Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

E-M1 tracking?

Lan11
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · E-M1 tracking?

There are contradictory reports from the Oly employee testing the camera and Lula .
Has anyone else tested and reported on it?

Sep 19, 2013 at 01:23 PM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · E-M1 tracking?

What is your question?

Are you interested in AF tracking performance?

Sep 19, 2013 at 01:31 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · E-M1 tracking?

Ming Thein seems to think that it is noticeably better than the E-M5, but not yet at pro DSLR level.

Sep 19, 2013 at 03:03 PM
Sagar
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · E-M1 tracking?

You are probably referring to Robin Wong. He was an enthu photographer recently picked up by Olympus as Marketing Guy

http://robinwong.blogspot.com/

Sep 19, 2013 at 04:39 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · E-M1 tracking?

No, surprisingly, I am referring to Ming Thein.

http://blog.mingthein.com/2013/09/10/olympus-om-d-e-m1-review-1/

Sep 19, 2013 at 04:58 PM
Sagar
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · E-M1 tracking?

Ming Thien is not Olympus Employee as per my knowledge

Sep 19, 2013 at 05:13 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · E-M1 tracking?

I heard it was good but not great, I think MT said it's around a D200.

Sep 19, 2013 at 05:29 PM
curious80
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · E-M1 tracking?

We should keep in mind that even with traditional DSLR PDAF, companies like olympus, pentax, sony etc have not been in the same league as Pro Canon / Nikon cameras in terms of tracking AF. So pretty much the best you could hope for is that E-M1 could match the tracking performance of Olympus' own DSLRs.

Sep 19, 2013 at 05:41 PM
Lan11
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · E-M1 tracking?

deadwolfbones wrote: "What is your question?"

Read again the sentence with the question mark at the end.

Sagar wrote: "You are probably referring to Robin Wong."
Yes. For me this is a very important feature and any improvement over the E-M5 non-existent tracking would be welcome, even comparable performance to D200 or whatever.

Reichmann suggests it is totally useless:
Quote: "The E-M1 has continuous tracking autofocus, but regrettably it has no idea of what it should be focusing on. Frankly, each time I tried to use it, it decided to go off it's merry way focusing on something completely irrelevant."
Since he made other statements in the past which he had to withdraw, I just wonder if this is another one for which he'll have to eat his hat or is it a fact.

Sep 19, 2013 at 06:20 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · E-M1 tracking?

Lan11 wrote:
deadwolfbones wrote: "What is your question?"

Read again the sentence with the question mark at the end.

Sagar wrote: "You are probably referring to Robin Wong."
Yes. For me this is a very important feature and any improvement over the E-M5 non-existent tracking would be welcome, even comparable performance to D200 or whatever.

Reichmann suggests it is totally useless:
Quote: "The E-M1 has continuous tracking autofocus, but regrettably it has no idea of what it should be focusing on. Frankly, each time I tried to use it, it decided to go off it's merry way focusing on something completely irrelevant."
Since he made other
...Show more

MR was talking about the video AF. I don't think those C-AF comments would apply to still photography.

Sep 19, 2013 at 07:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · E-M1 tracking?

Sagar wrote:
Ming Thien is not Olympus Employee as per my knowledge

I didn't say he was.

Sep 19, 2013 at 07:54 PM
Lan11
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · E-M1 tracking?

Thanks, bobbytan.
Indeed, it appeared in the context of video, but it is confusing. I hope you're correct.

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:14 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · E-M1 tracking?

I think both Ming Thein and Robin Wong are correct ... that C-AF is considerably better than the E-M5 but not as good as most newer DSLRs. At best it's close to the E-5 Olympus DSLR.

Lan11 wrote:
Thanks, bobbytan.
Indeed, it appeared in the context of video, but it is confusing. I hope you're correct.

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:45 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · E-M1 tracking?

Tracking in Video is still CDAF, ie bloody awful. If you want fast video tracking with a DSLR-sized sensor you need a 70D, a Sony SLT or a NEX with the LA-EA2 adapter and an A mount lens.

The consensus from various tests is AF-C stills tracking is very good when compared to an E-5, middling when compared to a CaNikon with the higher-end AF units (7D/D300 or higher). Remember The Oly E-5's tracking was typical for a semi-pro DSLR with a low point count sensor (ie equivalent to a D200 or an A700 in that generation), which by todays standards is middling performance typical of a good consumer body.

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:23 PM
bobbytan
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · E-M1 tracking?

You are right.

mawz wrote:
Tracking in Video is still CDAF, ie bloody awful. If you want fast video tracking with a DSLR-sized sensor you need a 70D, a Sony SLT or a NEX with the LA-EA2 adapter and an A mount lens.

The consensus from various tests is AF-C stills tracking is very good when compared to an E-5, middling when compared to a CaNikon with the higher-end AF units (7D/D300 or higher). Remember The Oly E-5's tracking was typical for a semi-pro DSLR with a low point count sensor (ie equivalent to a D200 or an A700 in that generation), which by todays
...Show more

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Lan11
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · E-M1 tracking?

Thanks everyone. No interest in video here. Since I never used the E-5 or tracking on lower grade Canons, I'll have to wait till I can try it in real life.

Sep 20, 2013 at 01:28 PM
alan996
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · E-M1 tracking?

Reichman's quote is contained in a paragraph in which he is describing the Video abilities of the camera not the Still.

Sep 20, 2013 at 02:24 PM
MarcG19
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · E-M1 tracking?

Still, D200 and A700 level I believe better than any other current mirrorless camera, and certainly better than I've heard from a non-Canikon mirrorless cam. IMO that'a useful progress. It'll probably work well for children, non-sports people photography, or mammals. 40 raw frame buffer at 10fps is also interesting.

That being said, if someone's even semi-serious about sports or BIF they would probably be better served by even a 7d or D300........

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:52 PM
mawz
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · E-M1 tracking?

MarcG19 wrote:
Still, D200 and A700 level I believe better than any other current mirrorless camera, and certainly better than I've heard from a non-Canikon mirrorless cam. IMO that'a useful progress. It'll probably work well for children, non-sports people photography, or mammals. 40 raw frame buffer at 10fps is also interesting.

That being said, if someone's even semi-serious about sports or BIF they would probably be better served by even a 7d or D300........

The Nikon 1's are comparable or better, ditto the NEX if using an LA-EA2 and an SSM/HSM lens. It'll be entirely usable for sports as long as you keep the subject on the same AF point (AF-C itself is good on these low-point-count systems, it's tracking between points where they fall down compared to the modern Pro DSLR's).

Sep 21, 2013 at 09:29 PM
you2
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · E-M1 tracking?

I wonder how much of it is the camera and how much it is olympus coding? The reason I make this statement is that even olympus phase cameras (e-3/e-5) were not that great at tracking.

Sep 22, 2013 at 12:42 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password