New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Technology Marches on

Bsmooth
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Technology Marches on

I've been reading all about the new 70D, and its great advances in shooting video. My question is, what If I don't care about video at all ?. The advances are terrific, and I'm sure it helps still images as well. Why do we have to try and jam everything into one camera, when one tries to do this, there are always compromises.
I guess I have to ask this; does everyone shoot videos with there DSLR's ? Or is Canon just simply following other camera manufacturers, with what there doing ?
I do realize eventually, that If you want to take an image of something, you'll point the camera at the subject, and push a button. Then the camera will just video what your shooting at. When you stop you'll be able to go in to what you shot and pick out any number of still imaes you want, and they will be as high a quality as If you shot them with a high quality still camera.
Is that what were working towards, with what we currently have ?

Sep 19, 2013 at 07:12 AM
Sjjindra
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Technology Marches on

Some professionals specifically use the Canon cameras for HD video. My son started with a T2I and now uses 2 5DII and all he does is video. Commercials, music videos, events, real estate, etc.

Steve

Sep 19, 2013 at 07:22 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Technology Marches on

From the past few years it is fairly safe to say that Canon focuses a lot on video applications, also including special lenses for cinematic cameras. This also affects Canon's DSLR product line. Today the video implementation in cameras can be more seen as a freebie because it comes easily in there with LiveView camera systems.

I am also personally not interested in video applications with DSLR cameras. I use mine for photography only. If I would buy a new DSLR camera, I would not look too much into the video specs but more for other sensor- and viewfinder related specifications. It doesn't hurt to have good video capabilities in a camera even if we don't care about them. I don't think that just the video performance increases the DSLR camera price a lot either.

I am sure what you are proposing above is correct. There seems a trend to focus on video and just pick a frame of the video as photo. This could potentially be the future of many digital cameras. I wouldn't like it, but realistically this is going to happen for many mainstream camera models in the future.

Sep 19, 2013 at 08:43 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Technology Marches on

My impression is that still photography will continue to become more and move computer and video-based, until eventually we achieve "still" images translated from a composite of high speed video images. This has a number of advantages, not least of which is higher rez, greater DR, and low-light sensitivity even using similar MP sensors as we already have. Processors will become at least as important as lenses in achieving image quality.

Canon is taking a slightly different approach than other makers, concentrating along these lines (computing/video), and I think it will be the winning formula over massive sensors or gigantic sensor MPs.

So, buckle up, and get used to it, the trend to more and more video capture in stills cameras!

Sep 19, 2013 at 08:56 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Technology Marches on

Gunzorro wrote:
My impression is that still photography will continue to become more and move computer and video-based, until eventually we achieve "still" images translated from a composite of high speed video images. This has a number of advantages, not least of which is higher rez, greater DR, and low-light sensitivity even using similar MP sensors as we already have. Processors will become at least as important as lenses in achieving image quality.

Canon is taking a slightly different approach than other makers, concentrating along these lines (computing/video), and I think it will be the winning formula over massive sensors or gigantic
...Show more

How do you achieve a better resolution on the same kind of sensor if you pick a single frame from a video? Maybe I misunderstood what you said above.

Sep 19, 2013 at 09:05 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Technology Marches on

You're right -- the camera wouldn't pick a "single" frame from video. A still image would be composited from a short burst or series of shots taken at an extremely rapid <electronic> shutter speed. The multi-layering can provide increased rez with the same sensor, reducing noise as well. The clickity-clack of shutter firing may one day be replaced by a selectable (inaudible, to mild hum) whirr of electronic exposures.

Sep 19, 2013 at 09:18 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Technology Marches on

Gunzorro wrote:
You're right -- the camera wouldn't pick a "single" frame from video. A still image would be composited from a short burst or series of shots taken at an extremely rapid <electronic> shutter speed. The multi-layering can provide increased rez with the same sensor, reducing noise as well. The clickity-clack of shutter firing may one day be replaced by a selectable (inaudible, to mild hum) whirr of electronic exposures.

Okay, this makes sense. This would also need a very fast recording speed that motions in several frames are "frozen in". But technically this could be plausible. Could be advantageous in the field of action and sports photography.

Sep 19, 2013 at 09:29 AM
Access
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Technology Marches on

If you look at the evolution of most technological devices, cars, computers, cameras, etc.; over time, mechanics tend to be replaced by electronics.

I think panasonic's latest micro four thirds no has the option for an electronic shutter, and already you can use frame capture to pull 2 megapixel images from video. With 4K video this goes up to 8 megapixels which will be sufficient for most needs out there.

Video is not a 'silver bullet' that solves all the problems that modern photographers have, but at sufficiently high framerate video it does solve the problem of timing or pressing the shutter at that exact moment. With raw video that is available in some of the latest intended for video cameras (ie. blackmagic) you can solve some of the older drawbacks of video processing.

Also in the future things like the ability to read out from a sensor multiple times over the course of a single exposure could result in exponential increases in the usable dynamic range that can be captured in still photography (similar to ML's dual ISO video).

Sep 19, 2013 at 09:54 AM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Technology Marches on

Even if you don't do video, swivel screen allows you to compose your shot in different angles that you could never do before. Now, you may say that there are other cameras that can do the same--60D, T3i, T4i, T5i and so on. But 70D is the first DSLR that you can really rely on focusing. It's fast and accurate.

So, even if you don't care about video at all, 70D is still a forward progress for still photography.

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Technology Marches on

Alas Canon is now driven by video and there's a huge push further in video capabilities of their DSLRs. There are people within Canon that seriously talk of a day when we won't take stills, just shoot video and extract what we need. They are getting excited about 8K(32MP) and even 16K(128MP) video, not that 8K is anywhere near being ready for consumer cameras of course and let's not talk about the sheer amount of data. Let's hope this does not lead to a slackening of innovation for stills photography.

Sep 19, 2013 at 04:56 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Technology Marches on

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Alas Canon is now driven by video and there's a huge push further in video capabilities of their DSLRs. There are people within Canon that seriously talk of a day when we won't take stills, just shoot video and extract what we need. They are getting excited about 8K(32MP) and even 16K(128MP) video, not that 8K is anywhere near being ready for consumer cameras of course and let's not talk about the sheer amount of data. Let's hope this does not lead to a slackening of innovation for stills photography.

But it already does (meaning slack of innovation for still photography). If Canon doesn't announce a much improved new FF sensor for a reasonable price compared to the competition soon, the pathway is clear. Canon will focus on video while Nikon will focus more on the still photography side. Let's hope this doesn't happen.

Sep 19, 2013 at 05:17 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Technology Marches on

retrofocus wrote:
But it already does (meaning slack of innovation for still photography). If Canon doesn't announce a much improved new FF sensor for a reasonable price compared to the competition soon, the pathway is clear. Canon will focus on video while Nikon will focus more on the still photography side. Let's hope this doesn't happen.

Improved sensor is improved sensor, it'll help video as much as stills, so there's no reason at all to believe we won't see improved sensor tech. They bought a little more time with the huge AF update, but they know they will have no more headline acts like that to obscure the lack of sensor improvements. Next gen FF I'm certain will be entirely new sensors built using a smaller lithographic process than the current 0.5um and they have patents for extended DR hopefully we may see implemented.

Sep 19, 2013 at 05:27 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Technology Marches on

retrofocus wrote:

I think you are overly optimistic in the wrong direction. As I said, the future of still photography is dependent on and interwoven with dominance in video and computing. Nikon ranks an insignificant third place in this arena, far behind Canon and Sony. Both these powerhouses have strong in-house computer hardware and programming in addition to being self sufficient in video (and sensor technology). Unless something changes radically and quickly, my assessment is that Nikon will simply be a "client manufacturer" buying the needed technology and parts from the Big Boys. I don't think that paints a very encouraging picture for Nikon's long term viability in imaging.

Sep 19, 2013 at 06:01 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.