FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Textures----Tree Bark #4

Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Textures----Tree Bark #4

Last of this brief series on the textures of the trunks of some western trees.
Next time you're in an old growth forest, pick a few large trees of different species. Stand near them, close your eyes, and feel their textures.
It may or may not be of any value to you, and you may or not be badly bitten by bushy brown spiders, but what the hey- when there's harm it's a fowl.
Charlie

Charlie Shugart 2013

Tree Textures

Charlie Shugart 2013

Tree Textures

Sep 18, 2013 at 09:13 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Textures----Tree Bark #4

I guess your bark lost its byte Charlie...no more arfs, woofs, bows, ruffs after this one eh?
Nice series!
Eric

Sep 18, 2013 at 09:30 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Textures----Tree Bark #4

Thanks, Eric.
Yes- my bite has lost its bark .
For only a short time, though .
Charlie

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:21 PM
ScottHM
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Textures----Tree Bark #4

That's okay...I've had my share of bushy brown spiders today. That second one looks a lot like the trees I take pictures of in the forest. I love the downed ones that have all manner of growth on them. Nice work Charlie.
We'll see how my bark is when I go pick up my dog in a couple weeks at the Columbia River gorge.

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:28 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Textures----Tree Bark #4

More neat stuff Charlie ~ Ron

Sep 19, 2013 at 06:17 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Textures----Tree Bark #4

2 for me in this set Charlie

I should be posting egret art soon.

Morris

Sep 19, 2013 at 07:04 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Textures----Tree Bark #4

Thanks Scott, Ron and Morris.
In a rainforest, fallen giants often have trees growing on them as they decay. It's interesting to track the various stages of that decay and growth of so many other forest plants.
Even while living, many of the thick-barked trees have a great variety of plants growing on their bark- which is, of course, dead wood. The only living part of tree bark is the inner cambium layer (as most of you know).
And now the others do .
Charlie

Sep 19, 2013 at 07:22 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Textures----Tree Bark #4

Next time you're in an old growth forest Well that excludes most of the forum right there Charlie! I'm betting the majority here have never had the incredible experience of walking amongst the giants in an old growth. I feel soooooo fortunate to have that experience readily available living here. And yes you are right, close your eyes and touch the grandeur.

Tim

Sep 19, 2013 at 08:33 PM
Steve Shinn
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Textures----Tree Bark #4

More fine fun.

You must have been to the Hall of Mosses in the Hoh Rainforest...
You see Fairy Barf yet??

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:25 PM
ScottHM
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Textures----Tree Bark #4

Tim Kuhn wrote:
Next time you're in an old growth forest Well that excludes most of the forum right there Charlie! I'm betting the majority here have never had the incredible experience of walking amongst the giants in an old growth. I feel soooooo fortunate to have that experience readily available living here. And yes you are right, close your eyes and touch the grandeur.

Tim

I know I'm always in awe every time I get a chance to get into them. I'm lucky that I have a few places with true old growth forests nearby.

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Textures----Tree Bark #4

Thanks Tim, Steve and Scott.
Yeah- I sometimes wonder about the eastern forests because the few times I've been east of the Rockies I never paid attention to the possibilities of old growth forests. Certainly they would be different than those of the PNW- but in what ways, I'd have trouble guessing. Probably hardwood old growth rather than our tall and straight conifers.
I've been to the Hoh Rainforest a few times, but don't remember the names you mention, Steve.
But then, I don't remember the names of a lot of things- such as my ex-wife... whatsername?
Charlie

Sep 20, 2013 at 09:46 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.