FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Infrared Cameras...

joelconner
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Infrared Cameras...

Has anyone used an infrared camera in your wedding work? I only ever shot a small amount of IR film years ago, but I always loved it. I have thought about picking up a cheap IR converted camera for some of my wedding day b&w work, but I wonder how much I would really use it (and if I want to carry another body with me)

Sep 18, 2013 at 05:59 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Infrared Cameras...

Calling Andrew Welsh

Sep 18, 2013 at 06:14 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Infrared Cameras...

joelconner wrote:
Has anyone used an infrared camera in your wedding work?

Those pictures never look very natural to me.

Sep 19, 2013 at 01:25 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Infrared Cameras...

I think it's fine as long as it's only used for a couple of shots for creative purposes, i.e. not overdone. I've seen very nice wide angle B&G shots, especially if there's water & trees.

Something like a converted G11 might do the trick

Sep 19, 2013 at 01:29 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Infrared Cameras...

hijazist wrote:
Something like a converted G11 might do the trick

You know what I read somewhere recently that surprised me ...

Cameras can differ noticeably in how they respond to the conversion process. So I would think that if a person were going to have the procedure done, best to make sure that the cam you would be going with is one that will yield the results you are looking for.

Sep 19, 2013 at 01:39 AM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Infrared Cameras...

This video by Clay Blackmore has got me interested in infrared.

Sep 19, 2013 at 02:32 AM
MalachiConstant
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Infrared Cameras...

I never understood IR look for photography.

If you are installing a security system or in an AC-130 I might get it..

Sep 19, 2013 at 07:09 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Infrared Cameras...

Yes, IR can be used to make things look weird. That is not what I would be going for. IR film has been used for ages by portrait and commercial photographers to get a slightly different feel to some of their b&w's, and when used in appropriate settings, I have liked the results.

Sep 19, 2013 at 08:25 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Infrared Cameras...

I'm sure there's an action for that.

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:35 AM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Infrared Cameras...

I attempted an infrared action in 07. It sucked for the most part butI liked the look it produced on night shots (others may think it sucked).

A hard drive crash that year saw the end of it and I cannot replicate what ever it was I did.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3276/2431004977_a4ac5b4b87_o.jpg

Sep 19, 2013 at 12:48 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Infrared Cameras...

Does anyone have samples of cool infrared portraits?

- trr

Sep 19, 2013 at 12:50 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Infrared Cameras...

Not really a portrait but this is all I could find that I've shot on infrared film... waterfall in the rainforest in puerto rico

Sep 19, 2013 at 01:17 PM
3ntreri
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Infrared Cameras...

I've shot a few infrared portraits, but not much in the way of wedding work.

The main problem I had with IR was the inability to autofocus using the phase-detect AF system on my converted DSLR. I'd have to kick over to live view to use contrast-detect AF which slowed me down and was so unintuitive that I'd often forget and end up with blurry images (especially during a hectic wedding day). With the many capable mirrorless systems out there now, I'm tempted to pick one up and get it converted for some more IR fun.

Here are some example portraits:

I've shot a little bit of (now discontinued) Efke IR820 Aura film as well:

Sep 20, 2013 at 01:23 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Infrared Cameras...

3ntreri wrote:
The main problem I had with IR was the inability to autofocus using the phase-detect AF system on my converted DSLR. I'd have to kick over to live view to use contrast-detect AF which slowed me down and was so unintuitive that I'd often forget and end up with blurry images (especially during a hectic wedding day).

Interesting...I did not realize this. Is this standard on all ir converted bodies?

This shows some of what I love about IR. I don't care for the color stuff at all, personally...but there is just the specific "feel" on IR B&W that I have always been drawn to.

Sep 20, 2013 at 01:29 PM
3ntreri
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Infrared Cameras...

joelconner wrote:
Interesting...I did not realize this. Is this standard on all ir converted bodies?

Yes, on all converted DSLRs. Infrared light has a longer wavelength than visible light and therefore refracts differently inside your lens, causing it to converge (focus) a little behind the sensor or film plane. The phase-detect af sensor is only calibrated for visible light and will misfocus an infrared image. That's why there are often little red marks on this distance scales of lenses to show you how much you need to adjust your focus for IR light.

Contrast-detect autofocus looks at the image acquired by the image sensor (which is behind the IR filter installed upon conversion). Most mirrorless cameras use this type of autofocus, though some use a hybrid system with phase-detect AF pixels built into the sensor; I'm not quite sure how these react to IR modification yet.

Sep 20, 2013 at 06:27 PM
gpop
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Infrared Cameras...

3ntreri wrote:
Yes, on all converted DSLRs. Infrared light has a longer wavelength than visible light and therefore refracts differently inside your lens, causing it to converge (focus) a little behind the sensor or film plane. The phase-detect af sensor is only calibrated for visible light and will misfocus an infrared image. That's why there are often little red marks on this distance scales of lenses to show you how much you need to adjust your focus for IR light.

Contrast-detect autofocus looks at the image acquired by the image sensor (which is behind the IR filter installed upon conversion). Most mirrorless cameras
...Show more

Another possible issue is that some lenses have a 'hot spot' in the center. So if you plan to use your existing glass you should see if they're on the naughty list or not.

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:11 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Infrared Cameras...

I have, and IMO it's not worth it. It give the images a rather weird ghostly look that most women do not find flattering. It can make for some nice landscapes, but the portraits that come from IR cameras just are not something that drew a lot of praise for me. I used one for about 6 months, then sold it.

They are very much a one trick pony, and unfortunately that one trick isn't all that great.

Sep 21, 2013 at 04:31 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Infrared Cameras...

gpop wrote:
Another possible issue is that some lenses have a 'hot spot' in the center. So if you plan to use your existing glass you should see if they're on the naughty list or not.

Exactly right. Only certain lenses work well with IR bodies. In my experience, small, simple primes work the best and zooms work the worst.

And there is also the issue with AF... if you're shooting at large apertures youre going to run into trouble. Stop down a little bit and you're usually fine.

Sep 21, 2013 at 04:33 PM
Andrew Welsh
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Infrared Cameras...

hardlyboring wrote:
Calling Andrew Welsh

Beep-beep, beep-beep.

My pager went off. Because it was a pager, it was slow getting to me.

I use it sometimes at weddings, sorta like a fisheye lens. Several conditions have to be met for effective photos:
1) plenty of time for portraits.
2) Lots of green foliage to maximize effect.
3) Good outdoor scenery.
4) People that look decent in IR.. not everyone does.

I did the LifePixel clear glass modification to my 40D. I actually do astrophotography with the 40D which is the real reason I did the modification. Shooting IR was a side benefit, I just had to buy an IR front filter for the camera body. Because it blocks the light path before the prism, it requires composing in live view.

I use it about 50% for details / venue / scenery shots:
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4131/4832530965_551bcae778_o.jpg
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4108/4832531031_d1e1e80aba_o.jpg
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4095/4906217741_ef1d29c9ba_o.jpg

And the occasional portrait:
(this one was licensed to the venue, and they use it in their TV commercials)
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4135/4860524891_d165cbc6c2_o.jpg
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6080/6062449417_67b9aa6d25_o.jpg
and my favorite IR wedding portrait:
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4073/4929903745_5f9ec01421_o.jpg

(note it was that last wedding where I finally decided the 16-35/2.8L II was a POS for infrared photos, I sold it and bought a 17-40/4L which is far, far better in IR.. the 16-35 has terrible ghosting and internal reflections in IR)

I find it better for portraits at senior sessions and such, where you have time.
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6121/6201486819_d63ceb3fc7_o.jpg
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5449/7052130021_f0de742392_o.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7219/6906040664_7a70c07b05_o.jpg

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:25 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.