New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Moving all photos in Lightroom catalogs to external hard drive

blutch
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Moving all photos in Lightroom catalogs to external hard drive

When I started using Lightroom about a year or so ago, I stupidly setup my local Macbook Pro laptop as the storage device for all my photos. Of course, the drive is almost filled up and I'm having problems. I didn't want to hassle with an external drive, but I have no choice now.

I want to move all my current folders and files from the internal drive to the external. I was told do do this within the library module of LR (on LR 4 still) so that lightroom will still know where all the files are located. I thought it would be as simple as dragging the folders from the left hand column in the library module to the folder on the external drive in the finder that I setup to house my lightroom files. It doesn't work, so I need some advice on how to do this correctly.

Thank you

B

Sep 18, 2013 at 04:51 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Moving all photos in Lightroom catalogs to external hard drive

Nevermind.. found a nice tutorial on this. Sorry to bother. Mods feel free to delete.

Sep 18, 2013 at 05:11 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Moving all photos in Lightroom catalogs to external hard drive

want to post a link?

Scott

Sep 18, 2013 at 06:42 PM
RAF09
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Moving all photos in Lightroom catalogs to external hard drive

Try Adobe TV

Sep 18, 2013 at 08:45 PM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Moving all photos in Lightroom catalogs to external hard drive

Here you go: http://thelightroomlab.com/2009/09/moving-folders-with-adobe-photoshop-lightroom/

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Moving all photos in Lightroom catalogs to external hard drive

Moving *everything* is the only wise exception to the good Lr practice of moving folders or files within Lr. It is possible to use the finder/explorer to copy the entire image folder structure and then simply point Lr to it. Otherwise, for partial movements of your library it is better to use Lr to make the moves.

- Alan

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:34 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.