Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · How long for a previous generation lens to remain serviceable?

fotosculptor
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How long for a previous generation lens to remain serviceable?

Let's say the 200mm f/2.0L IS II (or the 800) were to be released tomorrow. What's a realistic expectation on how long Canon would still service the previous version? How long did the f/1.8 stay serviceable once the new version was available? How about the previous versions of the super-teles?

Note that for the purposes of discussion, I'm discounting non-Canon service centers. There may always be some guy some where that could repair a lens, but there's the matter of finding that person, and their business still being open some years in the future. I don't see Canon going out of business any time soon.

Thanks for your insight.

Sep 18, 2013 at 09:57 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How long for a previous generation lens to remain serviceable?

You worry too much. I have no problem finding and/or using a non-Canon repair shop to fix old FD lenses or film cameras.

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:41 AM
fotosculptor
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How long for a previous generation lens to remain serviceable?

Imagemaster, arguably AF and IS lenses are a good deal more complex, and the PCBs may at some point no longer be in supply.

Does anybody at least have a data point on the 200 f/1.8? How long did it stay serviceable after the 200 f/2 IS came out?

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:59 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How long for a previous generation lens to remain serviceable?

I recall someone on another thread saying that the discontinued 500 IS v1 would be serviceable for at least 6 or 7 years by Canon.

Sep 18, 2013 at 05:15 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How long for a previous generation lens to remain serviceable?

Legally it's too short a time, but practically it might be fine for at least 10 years and in some cases depending on the popularity of the lens even longer.

Sep 18, 2013 at 05:20 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How long for a previous generation lens to remain serviceable?

It's not completely predictable. They plan to carry parts for 5 years or so. But certain parts (PCBs, electronics) are made by third parties and might become unavailable, certain glass elements might have a finite supply, etc. So it's impossible to say for certain.

Given that, though, as out-of-production lenses fail, a fair number of them become parts themselves. I found an AF motor for a 50mm f/1.0 a few months ago, and you can find a 'not working for parts' version of the 200 f/1.8 on eBay every so often. A third party repair shop can strip one for parts to fix the other.

As fotosculptor said, though, newer lenses with their electronic systems are going to be less repairable than older lenses. For example, the new IS systems can't just be replaced like Gen 1 and 2 could; they have to be tuned and set up using Canon's software which third party shops don't have (even authorized centers don't always have it, it's expensive). That's going to limit some of the stripping old lenses for parts thing.

Sep 18, 2013 at 05:23 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.