FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Order of wedding photos

Dale_A
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Order of wedding photos

I've just completed processing the photos from my first ever wedding shoot, now the question arises, how do I put them in order? I used two cameras during the wedding and reception, with a total of 675 photos taken that day (it was a small wedding). I've narrowed it down to 271, with some photos being processed a couple different ways. I'm putting the photos on a flash drive for the couple but I wanted them to be in the order that they were taken. Is there a quick/simple way to do that, or should I not worry about that? I can pretty much look at the photos and remember the order that they were taken, it's just figuring out how to arrange them in that order.

Dale A

Sep 18, 2013 at 09:45 AM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Order of wedding photos

select all - sort - capture time...lightroom/Aperture/Photo Mechanic etc all have the option I believe!

Sep 18, 2013 at 09:47 AM
Imagesbyj
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Order of wedding photos

Often times I will use Bridge to order/rename my final edits. Pretty easy. Just a thought

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Dale_A
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Order of wedding photos

Thanks to all, I totally forgot about sorting by time of capture. Doh!

Dale A

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Order of wedding photos

I drag and drop them in LR if they're out of order. But I start by sorting them by date/time taken.

Sep 18, 2013 at 12:08 PM
jbrandt378
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Order of wedding photos

It will also make it easier for you next time if you try and sync your camera dates and time (make one a few seconds faster). I find this helps with multiple cameras.

Sep 18, 2013 at 01:52 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Order of wedding photos

Like others, I sink my cameras before a shoot. I then cull and sort in Breeze Browser before importing to LR. This way I can apply WB and other "like" settings to scenes much faster in LR. In the end the RAW and JPG are sorted the same if I ever need to go back to the RAW before delivering to the client.

Sep 18, 2013 at 03:03 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Order of wedding photos

jbrandt378 wrote:
It will also make it easier for you next time if you try and sync your camera dates and time

Just don't accidentally strip out the date and time metadata till you don't need them anymore. In Lightroom, this would be one of the settings when you go to "Export".

Sep 18, 2013 at 06:27 PM
scottam10
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Order of wedding photos

...I sink my cameras before a shoot...

I hope you don't sink your cameras, that wouldn't be too good for the electronics
(sorry, couldn't resist)

Sep 19, 2013 at 05:29 AM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Order of wedding photos

scottam10 wrote:
I hope you don't sink your cameras, that wouldn't be too good for the electronics
(sorry, couldn't resist)

Unless.... http://petapixel.com/2013/05/23/the-nikon-d3s-can-survive-getting-wet-muddy-frozen-dropped-and-burned/

Sep 19, 2013 at 01:53 PM
Dale_A
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Order of wedding photos

Thanks to all who posted in response to my question, much appreciated. I went into LR4 and selected all of the processed photos and sorted them by date created in descending order. I then exported them to my flash drive, now they're in proper order. I'd also like to ask one more question at this time, what is your ratio of photos taken to photos given to the client? I'm just curious, I know that this all depends on the size of the wedding and time involved. I've had friends that have done a few Indian weddings, which took two days to shoot, WOW! The wedding that I just shot went from 2:00pm to 9:00pm, which included the outdoor ceremony and then a formal reception of around 200 people.

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:52 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Order of wedding photos

Much of the time, sort by "capture time" will give you what you need. However occasionally I tweak the order a little bit manually in Lightroom. Occasionally the capture time can give you weird results when shooting with two different cameras and you'll want to sort a few pictures yourself.

Sep 21, 2013 at 04:29 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.