Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Share your Hypersync settings, camera, flash..

NathanHamler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Share your Hypersync settings, camera, flash..

So those of you using Pocket wizard's hypersync function, let us know your settings (either your hypersync offset, or the standard offset 1-10 value), along with what lights you are using, what body, and what's the fastest you can shoot with full lighting coverage...

I'll start...I've got my setup tuned using the standard offset values, channel 1 is on 1 (fastest) and channel 2's offset is 2...

channel 1 i use an sb-600 @ 1/2 power, and can reach 1/500s with full coverage and minimal power reduction, and 1/640s with a small black band

Channel 2 i use an Alien bee b800, at pretty much 1/2 to 1/4 power...again, about 1/500s with no power drop or banding...any faster than that, and i start getting uneven coverage...

This is all on a D3..

Sep 18, 2013 at 06:58 AM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Share your Hypersync settings, camera, flash..

I just shoot an x100s @ 1/4000 all day long.

Sep 18, 2013 at 09:26 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Share your Hypersync settings, camera, flash..

jeremy_clay wrote:
I just shoot an x100s @ 1/4000 all day long.

Lol stop tempting me haha that has crossed my mind, as well as the x20...same leaf shutter flash syncing...i dont think the quality is there for the x20 though...the x100s for sure is awesome lol...

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:20 AM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Share your Hypersync settings, camera, flash..

NathanHamler wrote:
Lol stop tempting me haha that has crossed my mind, as well as the x20...same leaf shutter flash syncing...i dont think the quality is there for the x20 though...the x100s for sure is awesome lol...

Using an SB600 or an AB800 with a X100s would offer you no more advantage than you're already getting with your D3.

OK... maybe you're missing out on 1/3 of a stop. It doesn't matter what shutter speed you can sync at - especially if that shutter speed is faster than your flash duration.. you get no more benefit as the flash is still trying to do its thing after the shutter has closed.

What sort of result does your 1/500s give?

Edit: On the recent firmware update I was using manual offsets of -1850 on a D3X.

Sep 18, 2013 at 01:08 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Share your Hypersync settings, camera, flash..

ukphotographer wrote:
What sort of result does your 1/500s give?

Pretty much good results...but i'd like to go as high as possible...not 1/8000 of course, but 1/1000 would be great....I try to set my hypersync so i dont have to shoot at full power...the sb-600 recycles well at 1/2 power, so i can stand to shoot there...i was messing around earlier, and at iso 200, at 1/2 power, i can get about 12 feet at f/5.6...which, depending on the ambient light, 1/500 gives plenty of darkening power....with an alien bee i can drop the aperture further....

ukphotographer wrote:
Edit: On the recent firmware update I was using manual offsets of -1850 on a D3X.

what lights are you shooting with at those settings?

Sep 18, 2013 at 03:05 PM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Share your Hypersync settings, camera, flash..

The -1850 setting was working well with SB800's, 900's and Quantums.

I was optimising for full output (more power), but realistically the setting worked for everything.

Sep 19, 2013 at 05:39 PM
Batty_F

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Share your Hypersync settings, camera, flash..

I use the automated timings for HyperSync, based on conversations with PocketWizard tech support the performance I'm getting with my gear is about what can be expected, so I've never tried manual timings.

I put up a page on my web site showing my results with a Nikon D7100, SB-900 flash, and a Paul Buff White Lightning X2400 studio strobe: http://www.wingedmammal.com/daily_emergence/hypersync/hypersync.shtml

To summarize, I would use the SB-900 out to about 1/500 second, and the X2400 out to 1/2500 or so.

Example X2400 shot HyperSync'ed at 1/800: http://www.wingedmammal.com/dragoncon_2013/dragon_con_2013_DSC_4216.shtml

Sep 22, 2013 at 02:41 PM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Share your Hypersync settings, camera, flash..

Thanks for those samples.

Over the last couple of years the USP of the ControlTL system has got progressively worse. Hypersync, which had so much promise seems to have taken second place over fixing its other problems. This is certainly evident in the ability to exceed maximum x-sync and retain the flash benefit whilst reducing ambient - or "highest energy" as it is now called. "Highest Energy" would be the most important in my reckoning as anything else would only be using HSS/FP mode timing equivalents.

The examples shown by Batty_F and my own tests show significantly more shutter shadow than similar examples I shot two years ago with the then, extremely buggy, firmware.

Despite being designed for the convenience of hotshoe flashes the system seems more intent on promoting monolight or pack use now, which is rather a pity as the small size of the triggers does lend towards Speedlight use.

Sep 22, 2013 at 03:07 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.