Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · End of "job lock": Quit your day job?

D. Diggler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · End of "job lock": Quit your day job?

"Job lock" definition:

The inability of an employee to voluntarily terminate employment with a particular company because he or she would lose current health care benefits. This becomes an issue for individuals that have pre-existing health conditions that may not be covered under the new employer's health care coverage. This situation is possible because most insurance companies have a pre-existing health care clause that prevents them from being liable for any condition that the employee had before requesting coverage.

Would you like to pursue your entrepreneurship dream to go full time with wedding photography but feel locked into your day job so as to maintain your health insurance? With the new health insurance reform now in place, you can no longer be declined coverage - or even be charged more - if you have a pre-existing medical condition. With affordable health insurance now available for purchase without needing to rely on an employer to provide it, could you be tempted to quit your day job and see if you can make a go of it full time?

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · End of "job lock": Quit your day job?

I have a day job that I enjoy and is rewarding. Plus my company pays for all training and career development (completely unrelated to photography) which I highly value. so unless that all changes, I'm not sure I'll want to quit.

Other big reason is that I really enjoy having creative freedom with the weddings I accept, with the prices I can charge, marketing experiments, etc. It's taken me a few years to balance both.. but I'm at a point which is pretty good. No reason to mix it up, at least not for the next ~2 years.

I think about it all the time, though. Going full time photography. I know it would be a rush, challenging, fulfilling, exciting.. and I remind myself that it's a great option if I ever begin to dislike my day job.

Sep 18, 2013 at 12:09 PM
photosymbol
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · End of "job lock": Quit your day job?

Mr. Diggler, may we ask to see your website?

Sep 18, 2013 at 12:20 PM
joshua grasso
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · End of "job lock": Quit your day job?

I think the health care costs are one of the biggest barriers and what would scare me most. You not only have to make up your income with your business but significantly more to cover health care costs on your own. Who knows how much they will go up with the new legislation

Sep 18, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · End of "job lock": Quit your day job?

Half of Small Businesses Will Cut Employee Hours to Avoid Obamacare Penalties

Read more: http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/227467#ixzz2fFbaKhAV

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/227467

Sep 18, 2013 at 01:28 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · End of "job lock": Quit your day job?

I quite my "day" job as a teacher a little over a year ago. Best thing I ever did. If someone keeps a job because of insurance or for any other reason (if they have kids or whatever that is different) then they are doing themselves a disservice and taking years off their life.

Sep 18, 2013 at 03:30 PM
Boss302
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · End of "job lock": Quit your day job?

hardlyboring wrote:
I quite my "day" job as a teacher a little over a year ago. Best thing I ever did. If someone keeps a job because of insurance or for any other reason (if they have kids or whatever that is different) then they are doing themselves a disservice and taking years off their life.

Heard a well known professional therapist recently on the radio say that acquiring fulfillment or being fulfilled through your "job" is a pretty recent phenomenon and that historically the job was just that: a job. She backed this up by saying that self satisfaction/fulfillment should come through your family (close relationships) and hobbies/interests.

After discussing this with a couple of co-workers we all agreed with her statement, basically our jobs are a means to an end (so we can live the life). Some of us are blessed (saying a thank you prayer now) and fortunate to get both - enjoying the job and the security package. There is a certain amount of security and peace of mind in an occupation that provides steady livable compensation, insurance and other structured benefits without living through fast or famine. Providing the best you can for yourself and/or family is not a disservice, it's the ATTITUDE towards it that can take years off the life.

Sep 18, 2013 at 04:46 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · End of "job lock": Quit your day job?

Sep 18, 2013 at 04:51 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · End of "job lock": Quit your day job?

dirkdigglerinsurance.com

Sep 18, 2013 at 05:32 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · End of "job lock": Quit your day job?

We have private insurance. Our premiums have increased $127 per month in the last 6 months. It's not going to get any cheaper anytime soon. Don't buy into that concept of premiums going down, it never will.

Sep 18, 2013 at 05:48 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · End of "job lock": Quit your day job?

Boss302 wrote:
Heard a well known professional therapist recently on the radio say that acquiring fulfillment or being fulfilled through your "job" is a pretty recent phenomenon and that historically the job was just that: a job. She backed this up by saying that self satisfaction/fulfillment should come through your family (close relationships) and hobbies/interests.

After discussing this with a couple of co-workers we all agreed with her statement, basically our jobs are a means to an end (so we can live the life). Some of us are blessed (saying a thank you prayer now) and fortunate to get both - enjoying the
...Show more
Excellent

That's the conclusion I came to when I left full time professional photography, got another degree and went into another field of work. I'm fortunate that I like what I do for a living (IT), but it doesn't define me.

What a lot of those who aspire to be full time photographers ignore is that you get a job with all the tedium of a 9 to 5 as well as the fun part. And, you get to work 50-60 hours a week for the privilege.

The nice thing about being a happy amateur is that I can see a nice photography trinket I'd like to use and not have to automatically do a ROI in my head before buying it.

Sep 18, 2013 at 05:56 PM
MattSepeta
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · End of "job lock": Quit your day job?

1. As others have mentioned, It's not likely to get any cheaper for the majority of us.

2. I predict this thread get's locked by end of the day

Sep 18, 2013 at 05:57 PM
camerausername
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · End of "job lock": Quit your day job?

Not only should you think about health insurance, but a retirement plan as well.

Sep 18, 2013 at 07:47 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · End of "job lock": Quit your day job?

Jeff Simpson wrote:
I think about it all the time, though. Going full time photography. I know it would be a rush, challenging, fulfilling, exciting

And probably a bit scary at times.

Sep 19, 2013 at 06:28 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · End of "job lock": Quit your day job?

photosymbol wrote:
may we ask to see your website?

What does that have to do with the topic at hand in this thread.

Sep 19, 2013 at 06:51 AM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · End of "job lock": Quit your day job?

D. Diggler wrote:
What does that have to do with the topic at hand in this thread.

There's a running theory (and, I infer from this thread, one that is growing in popularity) that you are not actually a wedding photographer.

Lay it on us.

Sep 19, 2013 at 06:02 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · End of "job lock": Quit your day job?

To demonstrate that you Texans aren't chauvinist, how about designing a "Diane Diggler" graphic?

TTLKurtis wrote:
http://www.thescrib.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/DirkDigglerNeonSign.jpg

Sep 19, 2013 at 06:18 PM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · End of "job lock": Quit your day job?

Boss302 wrote:
self satisfaction/fulfillment should come through your family (close relationships) and hobbies/interests.

This is an over-generalization. There are jobs and there are callings. Some people use a "job" as a means to an end, and in some people it is inextricably linked to who they are and how they derive satisfaction. Its not right or wrong either way, but different people have different values. Most exist somewhere on a spectrum between the two extremes (solely practical vs. solely fulfilling).

I am awfully skeptical of any therapist telling people how they *should* feel about their work and non-work lives.

Sep 19, 2013 at 06:20 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · End of "job lock": Quit your day job?

Jeff Simpson wrote:
I have a day job that I enjoy and is rewarding. Plus my company pays for all training and career development.

Good on you, man. You're so lucky to have a nice job like that. I can see why you'd hesitate to leave.

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:52 AM
divamum
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · End of "job lock": Quit your day job?

I hesitate to wade into this, but I can tell you - as somebody who is a full time freelancer in another profession, and has always had to pay privately for self-employed health insurance - that the cost of plans available to me will be going DOWN (and the coverage going UP) with the ACA reforms beginning on October 1st. This will vary depending on whether or not your state is opting for the exchanges (mine is), and until we have all the facts in front of us I can't be 100% sure, but what I've seen so far is encouraging and could save my family thousands of dollars per year.

Just saying....

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:56 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password