Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Which ALT glass on Fuji X-E1? Leica?

Karel Geertsem
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which ALT glass on Fuji X-E1? Leica?

Dear all,

I have a Fuji X-E1 with an 18-55 and a 55-200 zoom. Like it a lot, despite the X-trans controversy. The X-E1 with 18-55 is my travel companion (general purpose). With the 55-200 (details in landscape or architecture, maybe portraits) it is my play-experiment set when I'm alone or with a photography friend.

Then, there is also my Fuji X100, planned to be my "always with me" camera, main purpose: learn and experiment. Should replace my Canon S95 (insofar as a camera phone does not do that already).

I am eagerly awaiting the new (+reviews) Fuji 10-24 zoom. That should more than cover the basics.

And maybe there is some room for play ;-) I would like to be prepared, because finding the gems might take some time.
I am thinking of the announced new Fuji 56 mm 1.2, because of the small DOF. Then again, a Speedbooster might also do some tricks. But with which lens?

I have some lenses left from my Canon days: the Zeiss 35/2 and the 50/2 MP plus the Canon 40 pancake. However, if I can not set the aperture on these trough an adapter, they are not of much use. So how does this work with M or e.g. Nikon mounts?

Looking at Leica lenses (some of you seem to think they are great :-) ).... well, to say I'm puzzled is an understatement. So many different versions, some variations over many years, some quite affordable, some ridiculously expensive. Please talk me trough (a few of) these.

And maybe there are other options as well. Could you put some of the available options in categories: should be interesting because ...? The sharpest/dreamiest/micro-contrastiest/best for portraits/but what about macro/....whatever.

And of course feel free to point me to interesting resources.

Thanks a lot,
Karel

Sep 18, 2013 at 04:27 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which ALT glass on Fuji X-E1? Leica?

Hi Karel

I never had a leica lens, but from online testing and in my experience with other M mount lenses anything below 35mm is likely to be problematic on this sensor, and I'm not even talking 100% crops but quite visibly in normal viewing. I tried my CV28/3.5 which was great on everything else but this camera. Smeared corners. My Nokton 50/1.5 on the other hand was good although the combination of such a contrasty lens with Xtrans was a bit much even for my tastes, the reds just looked too... red. Both lenses sold since. Now I'm trying my zuiko 85/2 which looks good on my bookcase tests but I need to work on my technique with the focus peaking thingo because dof is quite shallow.

Bottom line is, beware of wide, anything else is probably good but make sure to test first. Also if you see some M lens you like, take a good look at the equivalent fuji lens first because it's likely to be as good if not better and cost less.

Sep 18, 2013 at 05:28 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which ALT glass on Fuji X-E1? Leica?

Karel,

Leica R lenses work fine on the camera. I am awaiting the delivery of a Minolta M-Rokkor Multi coated CLE 40mm f2 lens to arrive; it is a multicoated M mount lens which was made by Minolta for the Minolta CLE camera and it is the equivalent to the Leica C 40mm f2 Summicron lens which was designed for the Leitz Leitiz/Minolta CL cameras. The Minolta CLE lens has the same optical design as the Leica 40mm lens but is Multicoated and was produced about 5 or 10 years later than the Leica lens.

I purchased the 40mm Minolta lens in anticipation of the upcoming Sony NEX FF camera. Both the NEX cameras and the Fuji X cameras seem to have issue with the Leica M lenses wider than than 35mm. That was the reason that I purchased the 40mm Minolta lens. The Minolta and the Leica C 40mm lenses are tiny and are supposed to produce excellent results. I am waiting to hear how Sony FF NEX camera will perform with the wide angle M mount lenses; I will decide at that point if I purchase any wide angle Leica M lenses. In the meantime and waiting for the release of the Sony FF NEX I will use the Minolta lens on my Fujifilm X-E1.

The Minolta 40mm lens splits the focal length difference between a 50mm and a 35mm lens which is part of the reason that I purchased the lens. I already have the Leica R 50mm and 35mm f2 Summicron lenses. Also, I do not use either of the Summicron lenses that frequently at this point, but this could change. I also thought that having the 40mm lens that it would be a lens that I would frequently use on the FF cameras.

I may not have the Minolta 40mm lens for more than a week as it is on its way from Germany. I will let you know how it performs on the Fujifilm X-E1 after I receive it if you are interested.

On the Fujifilm X-E1 camera, the 40mm Minolta lens will be the equivalent to a 60mm lens. Also, as far as any M mount lenses are concerned, they do not focus closely, so unless you purchase something like a Hawk's Factory Leica M to Fuji X Macro Tube Helicoid you will not be able to focus any of these lenses closer than about 0.7m. The Hawk' Factory Helicoid can be purchased on ebay.

Rich

Sep 18, 2013 at 06:46 AM
Bijltje
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which ALT glass on Fuji X-E1? Leica?

Hoi Karel,

Leica M lenses are there for many many years. There are books full of information about them so quite impossible to write about all of them without some more information.

Things about your budget, preferable focal length, apetures mostly used ect. It would make it a lot more easy to give some suggestions.

Also Spyro's comment, on which lenses work on the fuji, and which lenses don't work is really important to think about.

One thing. Leica names their lenses after the maximum aperture.

< f/1.4 = noctilux
f/1.4 = summilux
f/2 = summicron
f/2.5 = summarit (also used for f/1.5 lenses in the past, now a new budget line)
f/2.8 = elmarit
> f/2.8 = elmar

For example my 50mm f/2 is called the summicron but so is my 28mm f/2. My 18mm f/3.8 is called elmar, or super-elmar because of its super wide view.

These names go trough history. So the 50/2.8 from the 50's is called the 50mm elmarit.

Sep 18, 2013 at 06:50 AM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which ALT glass on Fuji X-E1? Leica?

Get the speedbooster and shoot the zeiss wide open.

Sep 18, 2013 at 07:13 AM
Karel Geertsem
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which ALT glass on Fuji X-E1? Leica?

Amazing useful answers, was afraid I would only get links to the alt faq. Thanks! (this should probably be added to the faq)

Sep 18, 2013 at 07:41 AM
barisaxer
• • •
[X]
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which ALT glass on Fuji X-E1? Leica?

I am so impressed with the fuji primes and zooms i have settled on a all fuji outfit. 35mm 1.4 is great and the 14mm is equally stunning they are quick to work with on the fuji. I have some contax and leica and just can not justify using them vs the fuji lenses. My 90mm and 45mm contax lensews are good but slow to operate next to the fuji stuff. 50mm cron again nice but so slow to use. For the price fuji all the way for me and I already had the others in the stable.

Sep 19, 2013 at 05:43 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which ALT glass on Fuji X-E1? Leica?

From my humble collection, I have found any and all of them to be great.
Though, I have two, which sadly, cannot be used.
Canon EF 50/1.0 L and Canon EF 200/1.8 L.
BOTH of these lens focus via wire, meaning, that even to manual focus, requires electrical power, sigh... I sooo want to use those with my FujiFilm X-E1.
And, as others have stated, I love my Fujinon XF glass also.
I only have the Fujinon XF 35/1.4 and Fujinon XF 18-55, definitely will get more native glass, I like them.

EDIT: Oh, and X-Trans was the MAJOR reason I bought my FujiFilm X-E1.
I sincerely hope that FujiFilm continues to develop X-Trans, and maybe pair it with their hybrid organic developments.

Edited on Sep 19, 2013 at 06:38 PM · View previous versions

Sep 19, 2013 at 06:24 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which ALT glass on Fuji X-E1? Leica?

barisaxer wrote:
I am so impressed with the fuji primes and zooms i have settled on a all fuji outfit.

+1
fuji glass is hard to argue with, especially since you need to pay more and give up AF to get comparable quality. MF gets a bit too difficult in longer focal lenghts, and in normal and wide fuji has blitzed it with their native lenses. Even zeiss x-mount doesnt offer any meaningful advantage.

Sep 19, 2013 at 06:38 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.