New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · A Micro Four-Thirds Tax?

Lee Saxon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A Micro Four-Thirds Tax?

I've noticed that the m4/3 CSCs are priced higher than similarly-featured APS CSCs. The GX7 is $1000 while the X-E1 is $800 and the NEX-6 is $750. And without an EVF, the gap grows: the E-P5 is (still) $1000 while the X-M1 is $700 and the NEX-5T is $550.

Spec sheets tell me that the m4/3's have a somewhat higher resolution EVF (2.7mp vs 2.3mp), a smaller sensor (meaning a cheaper-to-produce sensor), and otherwise extremely similar specs. Nothing to justify a premium.

So what does justify the premium? What about the smaller XF over E premium?

(I'm aware of the differences and gaps in the three systems' lens ranges so let's ignore that factor for this conversation)

Edited on Sep 17, 2013 at 10:10 PM · View previous versions

Sep 17, 2013 at 06:58 PM
jonrock
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A Micro Four-Thirds Tax?

I think some of it though has to do with the fact that the Fuji XE1 and NEX 6 were released earlier while the GX 7 was just recently released.

Sep 17, 2013 at 07:04 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A Micro Four-Thirds Tax?

In electronics, typically smaller is more expensive.

Sep 17, 2013 at 07:05 PM
HauntedHat
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A Micro Four-Thirds Tax?

I think you made a typo on the shutter speeds. Anyway, how is 60 seconds worse than 30 seconds?

Sep 17, 2013 at 07:05 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A Micro Four-Thirds Tax?

The GX7 is Panasonic's flagship compact body, neither the X-E1 nor the NEX-6 are the flagship compacts for their comparable systems (they reside in the space just below the flagship compacts, which doesn't really have a comparable body in either m43 system). The GX7 is cheaper than launch price for the X-Pro1 and the NEX-7, which are the most comparable bodies. Ditto for the E-P5, which is Oly's flagship compact body.

The real question is why is the X-M1 so expensive. They're comparable to a NEX-3 series or E-PMx, both of which are significantly cheaper, and the E-PM bodies can even take an EVF, which the Fuji's and NEX-3's cannot.

Sep 17, 2013 at 07:58 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.