Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Which size drop-in filter for my older Canon 400mm?

SouthBayPhoto_
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which size drop-in filter for my older Canon 400mm?

Hey all,

I'm a bit confused. I just purchased an older Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L II USM (NON-IS) lens. I know they have the drop-in filters in the back. However, when I looked up the info on Wikipedia, it shows that it is a 48mm drop-in filter size, which I can't seem to find anywhere.

So, I wanted to double check with Canon and called them. I told them the lens I had and the Canon rep told me it is a 52mm drop-in filter and only certain "really old, discontinued" lenses had the 48mm filter. Well, mine is an old (1999) discontinued model lens.

So, I'm confused. I just want to get a drop-in filter frame that takes screw in filters.

Anyone know which filter size is truly correct? If I need to measure the original one in the lens, do you measure the glass (filter itself) or include the outer frame?

Thank you for the help!
Mat G.

Sep 17, 2013 at 03:50 PM
garyvot
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which size drop-in filter for my older Canon 400mm?

According to the entry on the Canon Camera Museum, the EF 400 f2.8L did indeed require a 48mm drop-in filter.

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/ef/data/super_telephoto/ef_400_28l_usm.html

Part of the confusion may be that you have described this as a "series II" lens--which is the latest IS-equipped model.

Sep 17, 2013 at 06:58 PM
SouthBayPhoto_
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which size drop-in filter for my older Canon 400mm?

garyvot - Thank you for the information. And that is the thing, I specifically told the Canon person that I had an older, outdated model. I even told him it was a 1999 and it was the f/2.8L II USM and specifically said it was the non-IS version. Because, just as you described, I had a feeling he would think it was the newer model, which takes the 52mm drop-in filter.

Now, what really stinks is, I can't seem to find that 48mm drop-in screw filter holder ANYWHERE. Everywhere I have searched it says Out of Stock and/or they won't be receiving any more. Even on the Canon USA site. I have a feeling Canon isn't manufacturing it any longer, so whatever is out there, is out there.

So, I guess I have to pray that someone eventually puts one up on eBay or somewhere. Maybe even on FM, if I'm really lucky.

Anyway, thank you very much for the help!
Mat G.

Sep 18, 2013 at 07:59 AM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which size drop-in filter for my older Canon 400mm?

You're welcome. But to clarify, your lens is not a "f/2.8L II USM". The 'II' designation only applies to the latest, IS-equipped model. The official product name for your lens was the "EF 400mm f/2.8L USM". Perhaps this was the source of confusion by the Canon rep?

In any case, good luck finding your filter.

Sep 18, 2013 at 08:26 AM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which size drop-in filter for my older Canon 400mm?

With some waiting, you should be able to find your Canon 48mm drop in filter holder that accepts screw in filters come up listed on eBay. You may need to wait a while to find one at a price that is works for you, because sometimes these are listed very high. For now, hopefully you have the gel holder, and for some filtering, you can still find gels that will work for you.

I did notice that KEH right now seems to have two different listings for the 48mm drop in circular polarizer. Depending on what you shoot, a polarizer can be very useful, so you may want to look in to those if you do not have one.

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:08 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which size drop-in filter for my older Canon 400mm?

If KEH has the holder and polarizer, then you should be able to screw in a standard 48mm UV filter?

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Roland W
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which size drop-in filter for my older Canon 400mm?

The polarizer drop in filter is different than a screw in holder. The polarizer element is built in to the holder rather than screwed in to it, in a rotating disk with a geared outer edge that can be rotated while the filter is installed in the lens using a small wheel that is on top of the holder. The screw in holder is just for a screw in filter, and has no provision for being rotated. But it does accept standard 48mm filters. The gel holder, which normally comes with each lens, has a glass element in it that is not removable, as well as a way to attach a gel to use for filtering.

My uses of drop in filter holders are all for the newer Canon lenses that take the 52mm version series of drop in holders. I use the polarizer a lot, and have one of the polarizer drop ins for each of my big lenses. I also have a screw in holder that I use occasionally for a screw in solid neutral density holder, and also have a screw in deep red filter that I occasionally use for astrophotography.

Sep 18, 2013 at 02:47 PM
ScatterCrSport

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which size drop-in filter for my older Canon 400mm?

garyvot wrote:
You're welcome. But to clarify, your lens is not a "f/2.8L II USM". The 'II' designation only applies to the latest, IS-equipped model. The official product name for your lens was the "EF 400mm f/2.8L USM". Perhaps this was the source of confusion by the Canon rep?

In any case, good luck finding your filter.

In fact, Canon did manufacture an EF400 f/2.8L II USM from 1996-99. It is a non-IS lens as the OP indicated. I also own one. It is a superior piece of glass. flickr group

The EF400 f/2.8L II USM requires a 48mm drop-in filter. The 52mm drop-in will not work, it is not physically possible. 48mm drop-in screw-in filter holders are extremely hard to find. I've been trying to find one for years. 48mm drop-in CPL's are occasionally available.

Sep 19, 2013 at 11:40 AM
SouthBayPhoto_
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which size drop-in filter for my older Canon 400mm?

Scatter - I agree...I even received the original box and receipt with my lens and it shows it is a EF 400 f/2.8L II USM lens. Even has it listed on the owners manual. I understand that the newer II is IS and mine is not.

However, I have tried pretty much everywhere online to find the drop-in screw filter for it. Item# 2611A001. I don't know why Canon would stop making it, with as many lenses that are still in use today.

Ritz Camera had one listed, so I purchased it online, then they called me to tell me there was a "newer version" of this drop-in screw filter and they wanted to send me that. I said that was fine. After almost a month, I finally received it today. It's the Gelatin II filter holder (48mm - NON-screw drop-in filter). I'm SOOOO not happy and knew it was going to happen because no one has it. I was just praying they had one sitting around and I got it. Nope!

Like Roland said...I guess I'm just going to have to wait and check eBay all of the time. I just thought that the screw-in filter would be much easier than putting gels on the current filter. Knowing my luck, I'll get fingerprints all of the gels while putting them on.

Oct 15, 2013 at 05:41 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which size drop-in filter for my older Canon 400mm?

Mat, just a thought, you might try contacting an independent repair shop, those that service out of warranty and no longer serviced by Canon gear...old stuff

I've dealt with one for a few years, over a decade, had an A-1 and T90 bodies repaired/serviced, had an FD 100 Macro done as well. These shops often have 'spare' parts available, the gentleman I've worked with is Steve Swerington at the Camera Clinic, it's in Sparks, Nevada. I highly recommend his services, he's a former Canon tech, a great guy to chat with, has tons of knowledge...and might be able to help...his contact info is below!

Cheers,
Jerry

The Camera Clinic
http://www.cameraclinicusa.com/

1220 E Greg St. Suite 15
Sparks, NV. 89431

Phone: 775-829-2244
Toll Free: 1-877-511-4811
Open Mon-Fri 11am-5pm

Oct 15, 2013 at 08:41 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which size drop-in filter for my older Canon 400mm?

A Wanted to Buy listing in the B&S forum could produce one in under a week. The 600/f4L non IS uses the same drop in filters so many are out there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-Digital-Camera-Drop-in-Screw-Filter-Holder-48-mm-JAPAN-model-WorldWide-/281179717492

Oct 17, 2013 at 04:59 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.