Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Possible FB Warning...

amonline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Possible FB Warning...

Came across this today... haven't dug to see if it's true, but FWIWFYI...

http://photofocus.com/2013/09/09/facebook-changes-terms-of-service-photogs-be-wary/

http://asmp.org/fb-tos#.Uji1PT_cDQM

Sep 17, 2013 at 02:59 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Possible FB Warning...

The wording is broad, and so there's some risk FB could use or sell the content inappropriately in the future. For now, I believe this agreement is what allows FB to post your name and profile pic, along with "Alan likes XXXX brand," in other people's feeds above sponsored posts.

I don't see FB turning around and becoming a stock photo agency or anything along those lines. I'm pretty sure FB's activity related to this change revolves around telling your friends you like the brand behind a sponsored post.

Whether you like FB doing that or not is a separate question. But I think ASMP's reaction is probably overwrought.

Sep 17, 2013 at 04:05 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Possible FB Warning...

Ian Ivey wrote:
The wording is broad, and so there's some risk FB could use or sell the content inappropriately in the future. For now, I believe this agreement is what allows FB to post your name and profile pic, along with "Alan likes XXXX brand," in other people's feeds above sponsored posts.

I don't see FB turning around and becoming a stock photo agency or anything along those lines. I'm pretty sure FB's activity related to this change revolves around telling your friends you like the brand behind a sponsored post.

Whether you like FB doing that or not is a
...Show more

My thoughts exactly.

I can't imagine facebook doing anything with the 900 pixel watermarked images I upload to their servers anyway.

Sep 17, 2013 at 04:11 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Possible FB Warning...

I view it as simply "proposed". I don't expect it to actually materialize.

I agree ASMP may be jumping the gun.

Sep 17, 2013 at 05:13 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Possible FB Warning...

This has happened to every social platform at least 27 times in the past.

Sep 17, 2013 at 05:24 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Possible FB Warning...

sboerup wrote:
This has happened to every social platform at least 27 times in the past.

Exactly.

And the chances that your photo will be bought is so slim, there's no point in even thinking about it.

Sep 17, 2013 at 05:35 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Possible FB Warning...

I agree with all of the above. I also would say don't complain if something should happen.

Sep 17, 2013 at 06:21 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Possible FB Warning...

This is no the kind of security and profitability I'd expect with the amount I'm paying Facebook to let me use their platform to host, share, network and market my business! I pay...Er...wait, I don't pay anything to use it? Carry on, Mark Z.

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:31 PM
RichCoyle
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Possible FB Warning...

The day that I photograph the sitting President's daughter getting married or the Inauguration of the King of England, I won't post those to Facebook. Otherwise; I have little fear that they will make a lot of money selling my wedding pics of Johnny and Mary or that they will negatively impact my ability to earn a living.

Sep 18, 2013 at 08:40 AM
morby
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Possible FB Warning...

jeremy_clay wrote:
This is no the kind of security and profitability I'd expect with the amount I'm paying Facebook to let me use their platform to host, share, network and market my business! I pay...Er...wait, I don't pay anything to use it? Carry on, Mark Z.

I totally agree. My business would be struggling if it wasn't for Facebook.

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:02 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Possible FB Warning...

morby wrote:
My business would be struggling if it wasn't for Facebook.

Kind of hard for me to believe; a lot of people pooh-poohed these social media websites when they first came around.

Sep 18, 2013 at 07:13 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Possible FB Warning...

Like Facebook/Zuckerberg gives a hoot about what ASMP or any photographers think.

Sep 18, 2013 at 07:37 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Possible FB Warning...

morby wrote:
My business would be struggling if it wasn't for Facebook.

Kind of hard for me to believe; a lot of people pooh-poohed these social media websites when they first came around.

To be clear, I'm not doubting you. It just seems opinions are all over the board. I've heard folks right here on this forum say they tried Facebook and it never did a thing for their business.

Sep 19, 2013 at 08:26 PM
dhp_sf
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Possible FB Warning...

D. Diggler wrote:
To be clear, I'm not doubting you. It just seems opinions are all over the board. I've heard folks right here on this forum say they tried Facebook and it never did a thing for their business.

FB is hard to pin down. I get a lot of traffic from there, though no one ever contacts me via FB. Client referrals may come from people seeing my work on their friend's pages or mine on FB, but they'll list their friend as the referral (as opposed to Facebook).

Different demographics/markets/etc will use FB differently so for some people it may be fantastic, for others, not so much, and then for others still, it may be doing more than is blatantly obvious. I think that's why FB has had such a hard time monetizing--because it's hard to track results of advertising. You may garner more likes/views/interactions but those may never turn into leads. Conversely you may have someone come across your work and not interact via Facebook, but then contact you directly.

IMO, it is such an easy platform to just put stuff up and out in the world AND it's free--so why not take advantage?

Sep 19, 2013 at 08:40 PM
morby
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Possible FB Warning...

dhp_sf wrote:
FB is hard to pin down. I get a lot of traffic from there, though no one ever contacts me via FB. Client referrals may come from people seeing my work on their friend's pages or mine on FB, but they'll list their friend as the referral (as opposed to Facebook).

Different demographics/markets/etc will use FB differently so for some people it may be fantastic, for others, not so much, and then for others still, it may be doing more than is blatantly obvious. I think that's why FB has had such a hard time monetizing--because it's hard to track
...Show more

It's hard to quantify, but it's definitely an asset to any business. When I post a wedding on FB it hits a wide audience, especially if I spend an extra $10 to promote it.

It goes out to all of my 1600 friends (if I share it on my feed). It goes out to the 2000 people that follow my page. I tag the bride and groom, and encourage them to tag their friends that are in the photos (which they almost always do). In one post I'm hitting a few thousand people. Last week my reach was 14,600 people and the week before was 12,500. You can't beat that kind of exposure!

Sep 20, 2013 at 08:14 AM
mgauthierphoto
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Possible FB Warning...

90% of my clients contact me and inquire through Facebook. Photography businesses established 3+ years ago, probably won't see this. I started a year ago and FB is where I made my presence known. It's not that hard to believe.

Sep 20, 2013 at 06:30 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Possible FB Warning...

morby wrote:
I tag the bride and groom, and encourage them to tag their friends

I don't even know what "tagging" is; never been on Facebook.

Sep 20, 2013 at 07:46 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.