FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       5              7       8       end

Archive 2013 · Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar E 4/16-70 ZA OSS

Mescalamba
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar E 4/16-70 ZA OSS

Nothing that wouldnt small air blower fix.

Sep 18, 2013 at 04:19 PM
anscochrome
• • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar E 4/16-70 ZA OSS

How is it possible to have a four element zoom? Vario TESSAR? Or is TESSAR just being used for marketing purposes?

Sep 18, 2013 at 05:46 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar E 4/16-70 ZA OSS

anscochrome wrote:
How is it possible to have a four element zoom? Vario TESSAR? Or is TESSAR just being used for marketing purposes?

the vario before the tessar negates the meaning of tessar just as it does with vario sonnars.

Sep 18, 2013 at 09:47 PM
glacierpete
• •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar E 4/16-70 ZA OSS

edwardkaraa wrote:
It's just an educated guess, but perhaps the messy corners are caused by the screwed up sensor design of Sony with the ultra thick toppings and poor micro lenses. Perhaps Zeiss knows something we don't about the future of Sony's sensor toppings (no AA filter and improved micro lens design) in the upcoming models. I have already mentioned previously that my 24-70 ZA that had poor corner performance at 24mm on the A900 turned out to have excellent corners on film cameras. It was just sensor incompatibility.

Edward, I don't know about Sony, but Fuji's new organic sensor will detect light up to 60 degrees of incidence. Sounds great for wide angle lenses like the Contax G28.

"In addition to the giant leap in dynamic range, the organic layer can also detect light from a wider angle because of how thin it is (1/7th that of the traditional silicon layer). Normal sensors detect light between 30 and 40-degrees of incidence, this one can expands that number to 60-degrees."

http://petapixel.com/2013/06/11/fuji-and-panasonics-new-organic-sensor-boasts-insane-14-6-stops-dynamic-range/

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:02 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar E 4/16-70 ZA OSS

glacierpete wrote:
Edward, I don't know about Sony, but Fuji's new organic sensor will detect light up to 60 degrees of incidence. Sounds great for wide angle lenses like the Contax G28.

"In addition to the giant leap in dynamic range, the organic layer can also detect light from a wider angle because of how thin it is (1/7th that of the traditional silicon layer). Normal sensors detect light between 30 and 40-degrees of incidence, this one can expands that number to 60-degrees."

http://petapixel.com/2013/06/11/fuji-and-panasonics-new-organic-sensor-boasts-insane-14-6-stops-dynamic-range/

Thanks for the link! Very interesting indeed. Sony is also rumored to be working on an organic sensor as well, and it should be the future of all sensors if it works well.

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar E 4/16-70 ZA OSS

OK this is a digression, but - what? I don't understand how they go from 88dB SNR to "14.6 stops in each direction, or 29.2 stops Ev".

88dB SNR means the signal-to-noise ratio is 24,833. This is 2 to the 14.6 power. Which means 14.6 stops, which means 14.6 Ev. Right? Which is still great.

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:56 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar E 4/16-70 ZA OSS

The Petapixel article is a flag waving effort, sounds wonderful, then the end comes with:

'Translation: we could be seeing these sensors on the market within a couple of sensor generations.'

Your two generations removed grandkids might be able to see 29 stops I guess, lol...and the confusion carries on apace in comments. Well, Fuji, get back to me when you can put it in my hands - maybe my cold dead hands, haha.

Sep 19, 2013 at 02:21 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar E 4/16-70 ZA OSS

Since i learned to stop down i like the results quite a lot (images are linked to full resolution images)

41mm_f9_SEL1670F4Z by reevedata, on Flickr

25mm_f9_SEL1670F4Z by reevedata, on Flickr

34mm_f9_SEL1670F4Z34mm_f9_SEL1670F4Z by reevedata, on Flickr

27mm_f9_SEL1670F4Z by reevedata, on Flickr

16mm_f9_SEL1670F4Z by reevedata, on Flickr

Sep 19, 2013 at 08:05 AM
serhan_
• • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar E 4/16-70 ZA OSS

Thanks for the tests and the images. The color/contrast look very good on the screen. Now that I know FF 24-70mm e-mount is coming, I will wait for that. I'm sure Sony will charge premium for that.

Sep 19, 2013 at 08:14 AM
steve g
• • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar E 4/16-70 ZA OSS

Thanks so much for all this effort Phillip.

So whats your conclusion from your test shots AND real world experience?

Sep 19, 2013 at 09:10 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar E 4/16-70 ZA OSS

steve g wrote:
Thanks so much for all this effort Phillip.

So whats your conclusion from your test shots AND real world experience?

hmm, when I decided to buy it i expected to get a great lens for my landscapes which would be able to replace my CV 15 and G45.
When I took it to the wild for the first time I was rather disappointed because of the bad corner performance.
My tests taught me that it really needs to be stopped down but once stopped down it will deliver a solid performance.
I would say that the samples from this morning are the only real world experience i had with it because i didn't know how to use it before but i like them quite a lot. Check them out, they are sharp from corner to corner.
Rendering also seems to be really nice, flares are no problem.

Give me one more week and i will give you a final verdict

Sep 19, 2013 at 09:17 AM
alwang
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar E 4/16-70 ZA OSS

Phillip Reeve wrote:
hmm, when I decided to buy it i expected to get a great lens for my landscapes which would be able to replace my CV 15 and G45.
When I took it to the wild for the first time I was rather disappointed because of the bad corner performance.
My tests taught me that it really needs to be stopped down but once stopped down it will deliver a solid performance.
I would say that the samples from this morning are the only real world experience i had with it because i didn't know how to use it before but i
...Show more

Thanks for all the effort you put into testing, Phillip. From some of your earlier tests, it appears that the biggest leap in IQ is just stopping down from f4 to f5.6, so that's quite promising.

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:13 AM
serhan_
• • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar E 4/16-70 ZA OSS

You review at Systemkamera-forum made it to SAR:
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/zeiss-16-70mm-tests/

Sep 19, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar E 4/16-70 ZA OSS

serhan_ wrote:
You review at Systemkamera-forum made it to SAR:
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/zeiss-16-70mm-tests/

I wrote Andrea a mail linking here and at Systemkamera-forum, interestingly he only linked there

Sep 19, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar E 4/16-70 ZA OSS

Hm "trouble" is that when you stop almost any decent lens so far, then it will be good. Including not-so-loved 16-80 ZA.

So theres kinda question "whuts the point". Being f4 allows it to be bit faster than 16-80 when needed. Having OSS helps with that stopping down needed.

But dunno.. is it worth it?

Edit: Considering RAWs that I got from Phillip, I think its rather good lens. Bit of PP and beside that, it really doesnt have much competition. Looks a bit like what Leica did with X-vario. Apart from fact that Leica does need distortion correction and this doesnt (on other hand it needs tiny bit of CA/fringe correction).

When I think about it, its quite impressive they managed to make 16-70 zoom that is distortion corrected through whole range. That cant be easy to design.

Edited on Sep 19, 2013 at 07:02 PM · View previous versions

Sep 19, 2013 at 05:30 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar E 4/16-70 ZA OSS

Personally, when I need a zoom, I'm ok using an F4 max aperture zoom instead of a F2.8 max aperture zoom, provided the lens performs well at F4 and certainly by F5.6. I'm not excited about a lens that has to be stopped down to F9 to be sharp across the frame.

Sep 19, 2013 at 05:38 PM
Nanh
• •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar E 4/16-70 ZA OSS

I think it is pretty much sharp across the frame on the plane of focus in the most used focal range 28-50. Frankly, I don't think one cannot expect the depth of field to be so large at f4, f5.6 or even f8 that it's sharp across the whole image.

Sep 20, 2013 at 02:26 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar E 4/16-70 ZA OSS

'I think its rather good lens'

I agree, and the early images and some of the full versions of Phillip's here are rather good - there is more to a lens's output than than heavy scrutiny of corners wide open. Very good colour and rendering IMO. Renders texture very nicely and fine bokeh, to name a couple of things well in its favour. Fine colour contrast.

I'd be surprised if it does not turn out some great images.

Sep 20, 2013 at 07:04 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar E 4/16-70 ZA OSS

I think my lens isn't perfectly centered.

have a look at these crops:

LeftCorner50mm by reevedata, on Flickr

RightCorner50mm by reevedata, on Flickr
when focusing for the left corner the right one isn't as sharp as possible and the other way round.
Distance to the trees on the left was 410meters (according to google earth) 460m, so i think DOF can't be an explanation.

Sep 20, 2013 at 09:40 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar E 4/16-70 ZA OSS

If the lens isn't centered, then you should exchange it for one that is.

Rich

Sep 20, 2013 at 09:46 AM
1       2       3      

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.