New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Ponte Vecchio "The Old Bridge"

Vickooompas

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ponte Vecchio "The Old Bridge"

Taken in Florence, Italy and combined using 5 shots. One of my first ever attempts at HDR so I could use all the help I can get .

© Vickooompas 2013

Sep 17, 2013 at 12:07 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ponte Vecchio "The Old Bridge"

Although I haven't been in Florence for a long time, I have fond and vivid memories of the art and the food. The city is a treasure, and your photo makes me want to revisit sooner than later.
From a compositional standpoint, the river's perspective lines send me right to the Ponte Vecchio bridge. In my mind's eye, that is the bullseye and area that most interests me. However, because of your wide angle perspective and your distance from the bridge, the bridge is quite small and less significant. The front of your photo, other than water, contains no areas that hold my interest and my eye scans over it without stopping to get to the distant bridge.
I hope you don't mind but I've cropped the image to illustrate my point. I'd be glad to take it down if you prefer.

Ponte Vecchio

Sep 18, 2013 at 07:51 AM
Vickooompas

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ponte Vecchio "The Old Bridge"

I agree! Of the cities I visited in Italy (Naples, Capri, Florence, Milan) Florence definitely stood out and was by far my favorite! I understand completely where you're coming from about the shot being too wide and the bridge being too small. I was hesitant to bring two lenses on this trip so I was only equipped with a Tokina 11-16 which limited me a lot. Some regrets there :P. Thanks for the reply!

Sep 18, 2013 at 08:13 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ponte Vecchio "The Old Bridge"

Beautiful pastels and beautifully processed.
I like the cropped version but could easily go for something in between the two.
Scott

Sep 18, 2013 at 09:00 AM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ponte Vecchio "The Old Bridge"

Lovely rendition, and very natural looking, you did a good job with the HDR blending. I do wish it were bigger so we could see a bit more detail. I agree with the crop concept, but as Scott said, perhaps somewhere between the original and proposed crop would be better. The proposed crop has too much water removed for my taste. I know, I know, a crop with a bit more water would put the bridge almost dead center vertically, but sometimes you just have to ignore the "rule of thirds"

Jo

Sep 18, 2013 at 02:18 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ponte Vecchio "The Old Bridge"

+1 @ Scott / Jo for a bit more water and their comments @ good stuff. Maybe allowing some of the water "ripples" to still be seen in the foreground.

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:32 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.