Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Church lighting question

divamum
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Church lighting question

See first post... I've never done ANY wedding before!! I have, however, shot plenty of (classical, thus no flash) concerts in dark churches and other venues. This is just even worse than I expected .... lol

ETA: All that said, going through the few shots I took today and I think I have a little more leeway than I thought; I'll try to keep it to 2000. This is a bigger problem when using the 70-200, of course - the IS is terrific, but I just need more shutter speed. The 24-70 that I have on the 7d is actually doing great, and because I can drag the shutter more I'll be fine with the wider-angle stuff.

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:07 PM
divamum
• •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Church lighting question

The other pain is that the altar table - against the back wall - is BEAUTIFULLY lit. It's also white marble. So everything happening in front of it is backlit, but without any light on faces

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:11 PM
divamum
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Church lighting question

Thanks again for your help! Here's one of the formals - in the end I used one 42" umbrella up high, feathered down. Worked a treat. Never would have thought of that intuitively, so thanks again!

Btw, for whatever reason (the colours, I'm guessing?) this church looks SO much brighter in photos than it is in real life. It's a cave. - I've never been so relieved to turn on a flash as I was after the service (they'd requested NO flash during the ceremony). I was shooting concerts in Gothic cathedrals in Europe this summer and had less trouble getting properly exposed shots!

Sep 23, 2013 at 09:12 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Church lighting question

Looks nice!

Sep 23, 2013 at 09:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Church lighting question

Looks perfect - glad you didn't end up having huge groups and one was enough. Makes it easier for sure.

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:45 PM
divamum
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Church lighting question

Thanks! Yeah, I got there early and set everything up and fired some tests - reckoned for the numbers they had I could get away with just the one, and it worked out great (I had a 2nd stand and flash with me just in case, of course). I am SO glad I had everything ready to go, too - I set up stand/trigger/brolly/flash beforehand and then put it in a vestibule out of the way during the service, but after it was over all I had to do was walk it down and go. Got all the formals done in about 20 minutes - was pleased with that (although I have never shot so fast and with so little time to think about things in my life!)

Sep 24, 2013 at 01:42 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Church lighting question

Welcome to the frantic world of weddings! As you discovered, being well prepared is key to getting the job done. Glad it went well for you.

Sep 24, 2013 at 02:14 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password