Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Steve Tinetti, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Church lighting question

divamum
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Church lighting question

"Not sure how many people you have for your largest formal, but I'd rock 1 Speedlight off cam right/left with a 1/2 CTO. Expose about 2/3 under ambient and bring the Speedlight up to proper exposure. Done. Just watch for drop off and eye glass reflection. Easy peasy"

Thanks, Amononline!
ETA - misread you. Thought you meant bounce, but you don't.

How would your suggestion work for cross-shadows - do you have a sample form a similar setup? Thanks!

Sep 17, 2013 at 08:35 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · Church lighting question

That actually looks like VERY nice lighting for a church. You likely could shoot that just with ambient.

You may be able to get away with just one light/umbrella to give it a bit of punch if you want to go a bit lighter on gear.

Sep 17, 2013 at 08:42 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · Church lighting question

Your shoot-thru umbrella lights are going to be your key. You'll want to overpower ambient just a little bit so that the background is still nice looking and not a black hole, but so that the colors from the place aren't contributing as much to the group. You will want to gel though so that you don't have blue light mixing with orange light, unless you just want your background to be particularly warm.

The reason I suggest TWO lights by the way is for even coverage on the whole group. If you have large groups as you get to the far ends you're going to have strong directional shadows on some people's faces potentially. The way I set up two lights it's still fairly flat lighting without cross-shadows, but again if they're further apart cross-shadows do start to become an issue.

Sep 17, 2013 at 08:43 PM
divamum
• •
p.2 #4 · Church lighting question

Slophoto, from having seen the place in real life, I think that's been boosted in post - it's dark.

TTL (and everybody else) this is all super-helpful - thank you so much!!! Really appreciate all the input

Sep 17, 2013 at 08:51 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · Church lighting question

divamum wrote:
Thanks, Amononline!
ETA - misread you. Thought you meant bounce, but you don't.

How would your suggestion work for cross-shadows - do you have a sample form a similar setup? Thanks!

I'm just very careful in flash placement, and ensuring shadows are not overly pronounced or ruin the image. Usually, (in this type of situation) the flash is only about 6-8 feet from me (usually on my right as I like it to face the bride); and about 20' from the group overall. It's extremely rare I feel a need for a second flash. Here's one from my blog with this setup.

These two are actually from a fairly bright church, but the same type of setup and exposure.

...and yes, I see the shadow on the left in this one. I noticed it after it was blogged. It was a late night. lol I fixed it in the delivered image. I just haven't replaced the blogged image yet.

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:24 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · Church lighting question

^^ I think you would benefit from having your flash higher up. Ain't nobody got time for cloning out shadows on the background!

Whether 1 or 2 flashes is sufficient in part comes down to how large / wide of a group you're going to do. If you've got 50 people up there, than 1 flash is going to have a lot of shadow implications.

I've had bigger bridal parties than the shot above, let alone an extended family shot.

Luckily most couples just want immediate family, so that's nice. But once in a while we have a ridiculously large group.

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:49 PM
divamum
• •
p.2 #7 · Church lighting question

Thank you SO much! Those examples are really helpful You've all given great suggestions and ideas! Now to keep trawling portfolios and archives for posing ideas....

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:56 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · Church lighting question

TTLKurtis wrote:
^^ I think you would benefit from having your flash higher up. Ain't nobody got time for cloning out shadows on the background!

Agreed. I only had my 8' stands that day.

Sep 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM
a2rob
• • •
p.2 #9 · Church lighting question

I have adopted the Keep it simple syndrome!! Kiss

one cheetah light on a stand, high behind camera and one 60" shoot thru umbrella CL-360 or CL-180

Sep 18, 2013 at 01:47 AM
divamum
• •
p.2 #10 · Church lighting question

Thanks! Limited to existing speedlights, but concensus generally seems to be high "wall of light", feathered down. I can do that

Sep 18, 2013 at 08:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jcolman
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · Church lighting question

On a related note...I met with a bride last week who is getting married in a rather dark venue. The first photographer she met with asked the bride if " she could change her venue to someplace that wasn't so dark". The bride told me that she was rather horrified at the suggestion. I got an email from the bride today saying that she is booking me for her wedding.

You gots lights people.....use them.

Sep 18, 2013 at 08:39 PM
divamum
• •
p.2 #12 · Church lighting question

jcolman wrote:
On a related note...I met with a bride last week who is getting married in a rather dark venue. The first photographer she met with asked the bride if " she could change her venue to someplace that wasn't so dark".
>>

You gots lights people.....use them.

Seriously!

I can't imagine being asked to move to a "brighter" venue - ha!!! I've shot plenty of performances in cave-lighting (nothing like turning up to do a gig and finding out the venue has ONE - yes, one - light, and the red-gel is stuck so they can't get it off the unit!!!) so that doesn't worry me. I'm just aware that expectations are different for formals, hence why I wanted to get my ducks as much in a row as possible. Y'all have given me exactly the info I needed - so grateful to those of you who have chimed in!!

Sep 19, 2013 at 12:35 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · Church lighting question

jcolman wrote:
I got an email from the bride today saying that she is booking me for her wedding.

I know you're not shy about lighting the joint up - though I doubt Henri Cartier-Bresson would approve.

Sep 19, 2013 at 06:21 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · Church lighting question

D. Diggler wrote:
I know you're not shy about lighting the joint up - though I doubt Henri Cartier-Bresson would approve.

Cartier-Bresson isn't the one who hired me so I don't really give a shit.

Sep 20, 2013 at 01:35 AM
Evan Baines
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · Church lighting question

jcolman wrote:
Cartier-Bresson isn't the one who hired me so I don't really give a shit.

Jeez Jim you're a hot tamale in this thread.

Sep 20, 2013 at 01:41 AM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · Church lighting question

Evan Baines wrote:
Jeez Jim you're a hot tamale in this thread.

I guess I'm just too "old school" for this thread. I was taught that photography was all about light and making your subjects look good. In my mind there is no excuse for taking the easy way out by shooting formals in a dark church without lighting the subjects. I'm all for using natural light when the light is beautiful, but I really doubt that this is the case in this particular church.

Sep 20, 2013 at 02:18 AM
divamum
• •
p.2 #17 · Church lighting question

Amazon Prime FAIL - the taller stands I ordered were delayed and won't get here. Unless I can borrow something (may have a line on that), going to have to make do with 1 6ft and 1 8ft lightstand. Guess I'll be invoking the help of somebody to hold them up tall enough!! ~facepalm~

Sep 20, 2013 at 01:05 PM
divamum
• •
p.2 #18 · Church lighting question

Ok, managed to borrow one. One more thing off today's "figure out" list! lol

Sep 20, 2013 at 05:27 PM
divamum
• •
p.2 #19 · Church lighting question

Ok, that linked photo either had a ton of added, non-flash light that doesn't show on the metadata, the exif is wrong, or they boosted the cr** out of it in post. The place is a CAVE.

Just back from the rehearsal: best I could manage at ISO 3200 was f3.5 and 1/100 (I love you IS). Maybe the flashed formals are going to turn out to be easier than the no-flash ceremony after all!! lol

Sep 20, 2013 at 08:25 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · Church lighting question

That sounds pretty normal for a church lol...

Guessing you've never done a church wedding before?

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:05 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password