New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Best lenses for 70D?

surf monkey
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best lenses for 70D?

I'm interested in the 70D, but have no idea which lenses are best suited for it in regards to IQ, AF and video.

Has anyone tried any non-STM lenses for video?
Which ones are the best in regards to silent AF and focus speed?
Is the 18-135 STM worthwhile for STM alone? I have several other lenses in this FL range, but I suspect that the STM will be much better suited for video use. As for resolution, video is far less demanding, so in terms of sharpness, I imagine it would be fine.

I'm wondering if any non-STM lenses are quiet enough to be used with an external, shoe-mounted mic.
I'm also wondering about focus speed.

My primary lenses would be:
10-22
17-55
24-70v2
24-105
70-200v2
100-400

Sep 17, 2013 at 09:49 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best lenses for 70D?

I'd think the answer would be dependent on the subject you are shooting and focal length needed. A video of a soccer game, or basketball, versus a wedding require totally different lenses. The 18-135 STM would probably work in bright light.

Although you believe that video is not demanding of a lens, I've noticed that cinematographers use $100K manual focus lenses. Clearly, they think that lenses are critical.

Sep 17, 2013 at 02:47 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best lenses for 70D?

The STM lenses are much better at focusing on the 70d. USM lenses focus faster in still mode, and at a similar speed in video mode, but not as smoothly or quietly.

Sep 17, 2013 at 04:10 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best lenses for 70D?

The 18-135 APS-C range is perfect for video- it covers most of what your 24-105 and 70-200 cover on FF, and it's definitely sharp enough for 1080p. I think it's worth picking up in the kit if you're interested in video at all, which I plan on doing (with either the 70D or 7D II).

Otherwise, most demonstrations of USM lenses (especially stabilized L lenses) show to be perceptibly as smooth as the STM lenses, including several you've listed, as well as the 100L, that I've seen.

As for noise? Well, IS tends to make more noise; but I think it really depends on your mic setup. If you're worried about it, you might try rigging some acoustic deflection or dampening to isolate your mic. But the worst I've encountered was the IS on my 24/2.8 IS, which was horrific using the 60D's built in mic- and that was at a shooting range! Focus noise is nothing in comparison .

Sep 17, 2013 at 05:30 PM
garyvot
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best lenses for 70D?

For stills, all of the lenses on your list are known to be among the best available in their focal length ranges for APS-C.

I don't shoot video, but I understand that the STM lenses have the advantage of silent and precise focus with Canon's new on-sensor phase detection.

Sep 17, 2013 at 07:03 PM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best lenses for 70D?

Here's a quick grab to show how the 70d focuses with a USM lens. No external mic, and pretty bad handling by me, but you get the idea. (70D with 135L at 2.8): http://youtu.be/H2RGTNzvKWE

Sep 17, 2013 at 08:08 PM
ultimaterowdy
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best lenses for 70D?

"daddy can you lift me up?" ... awesome. thanks so much for posting.

Sep 17, 2013 at 08:58 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best lenses for 70D?

GC5 wrote:
Here's a quick grab to show how the 70d focuses with a USM lens. No external mic, and pretty bad handling by me, but you get the idea. (70D with 135L at 2.8): http://youtu.be/H2RGTNzvKWE

No complaints there, watching the focus shift back and forth. Add an IS lens and a decent fluid head, and control the focus (still not sure on this one), and you're golden.

On controlling focus- I'm wondering if there's a good way to do this without using the touchscreen on the back- either by designating what you want focused on, or by using an external 'controller' like a tablet or laptop.

Sep 18, 2013 at 01:22 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best lenses for 70D?

GC5 wrote:

Thanks for the sample. You can clearly hear the USM motor doing its work. That's the reason why I got my 70D with the 18-135 STM, for video alone. You can't hear that lens at all.

Still can't believe I got a cropper DSLR so that I can shoot videos of the kids Wondering how the camera will do with my 400 DO - or rather, the 400 DO with the camera. May be pushing it...

Sep 18, 2013 at 01:34 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best lenses for 70D?

yeah you can hear the focus motor , either that or you have one mad woodpecker in your garden

ive seen the video on digital rev about the 70D which they also used a 70D to film .

the lens was the 24-105L and they had a Gopro pointing down at the distance window to show how it constantly is adjusting focus .
performs really well by the looks of it. but probably if your using USM lenses a seperate Mic might be needed

Sep 18, 2013 at 01:48 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best lenses for 70D?

Many of the examples I've seen with internal mic are obviously too noisy.
When shooting video I always use an external, shoe-mounted shotgun mic.
I suspect that this should reduce most of the noise from the AF and IS of non-STM lenses.
I was wondering if this is actually the case.

Sep 18, 2013 at 06:12 AM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best lenses for 70D?

I will check it out this weekend and can show difference between stm and usm lenses.

Sep 18, 2013 at 06:27 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best lenses for 70D?

Just received my 70D with 18-135 STM.
Quick test shows silent AF of the STM lens, no surprise there.
Also tried my 70-200 f2.8 IS ii which clearly has some AF noise with the built-in mic, but much less than I thought. So I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't have any noise with my external shotgun.
I'll try more lenses tomorrow.

Sep 26, 2013 at 10:52 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.