FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Phottix Mitros + Built in Radio Arrives! More Info 10/3

MRomine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Phottix Mitros + Built in Radio Arrives! More Info 10/3

http://flashhavoc.com/phottix-mitros-plus-announced/ Could be a strong competitor to the Canon 600EX and a nice addition for Nikon users.

Sep 17, 2013 at 08:44 AM
Jeff Simpson
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Phottix Mitros + Built in Radio Arrives! More Info 10/3

yay for evolving flash technology. slowly getting to where it should be

Sep 17, 2013 at 09:04 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Phottix Mitros + Built in Radio Arrives! More Info 10/3

I wonder if you will be able to tie the phottix flashes into the same system as the 600ex. If you can (and the new flashes are as solid as everything else that phottix puts out), I would dump several of my 600's in a heartbeat and replace them with these.

Sep 17, 2013 at 09:11 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Phottix Mitros + Built in Radio Arrives! More Info 10/3

joelconner wrote:
I wonder if you will be able to tie the phottix flashes into the same system as the 600ex.

There isn't a snowball's chance in hell of this happening.

That said, this should be a pretty solid product. Phottix makes some good triggers. Wireless ETTL flashes are a whole nother ballgame though. These products are a lot more complicated than what they have made in the past.

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:27 AM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Phottix Mitros + Built in Radio Arrives! More Info 10/3

deepbluejh wrote:
There isn't a snowball's chance in hell of this happening.

Probably won't work, but there's always a chance...

Still...I would be tempted to sell my 600's and get these instead. I only use my off camera ones on manual, and if the on-camera is a good unit...then I think it would worth a shot (assuming the reviews are favorable). I could definitely use the $ difference from the 600's to fund some other needed purchases.

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:33 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Phottix Mitros + Built in Radio Arrives! More Info 10/3

joelconner wrote:
Probably won't work, but there's always a chance...

Still...I would be tempted to sell my 600's and get these instead. I only use my off camera ones on manual, and if the on-camera is a good unit...then I think it would worth a shot (assuming the reviews are favorable). I could definitely use the $ difference from the 600's to fund some other needed purchases.

I've been dickering around with various flash and trigger systems over the years and I can tell you it's by far the most finicky part of my equipment kit. They're very complicated and there is a LOT to go wrong.

There are a lot of "close enough" solutions out there for off-camera flash, but after buying the 600s, I think that Canon has finally nailed it. I really don't see any flaws with the system other than the price. Personally I won't be downgrading to a lesser system just to save a few bucks - especially now since I've already spent the money.

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:38 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Phottix Mitros + Built in Radio Arrives! More Info 10/3

deepbluejh wrote:
Wireless ETTL flashes are a whole nother ballgame though. These products are a lot more complicated than what they have made in the past.

For me no need for wireless TTL but I would like to be able to control manual output for NIkon from camera location without spending an arm and a leg. Using Strato II but would like more control.

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:57 AM
WNStudio
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Phottix Mitros + Built in Radio Arrives! More Info 10/3

This is a good news- Phottix products are really well build.

Fact no. 1- Canon equipment works best with Canon stuff
Fact no. 2- Canon pricing strategy sucks- they are trying to rip us off.

Right now I'm giving a sigma's lenses second chance, I've bought Youngnuo flashes for manual/off camera use, I'm using Phottix triggers and I'm strongly considering not to buy Canon INSANELY EXPENSIVE gear no more- unless I have to (I hope my 5dII's won't die soon).

Be a concious buyer, and Canon will have to be "down to earth" again- Adobe learned a lesson lately and we got PS+LR for 10$.

Sep 17, 2013 at 12:54 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Phottix Mitros + Built in Radio Arrives! More Info 10/3

Glad I didn't get the 600's now. At probably a couple of hundred bucks cheaper, this will be a no-brainer. lol

Sep 17, 2013 at 01:03 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Phottix Mitros + Built in Radio Arrives! More Info 10/3

deepbluejh wrote:
I've been dickering around with various flash and trigger systems over the years and I can tell you it's by far the most finicky part of my equipment kit. They're very complicated and there is a LOT to go wrong.

There are a lot of "close enough" solutions out there for off-camera flash, but after buying the 600s, I think that Canon has finally nailed it. I really don't see any flaws with the system other than the price. Personally I won't be downgrading to a lesser system just to save a few bucks - especially now since I've already spent
...Show more

I agree the Canon system is amazing. But, I have had numerous glitches and misfires. Flashes loosing sync for whatever reason and not coming back until I cycle power or remove and reinsert batteries. To this day after 3+ years of use, I have never had a single misfire from my phottix triggers. Not one. They have been the complete opposite of finicky. If they got these flashes right, then I would expect similar results.

Sep 17, 2013 at 01:08 PM
johnrg
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Phottix Mitros + Built in Radio Arrives! More Info 10/3

joelconner wrote:
To this day after 3+ years of use, I have never had a single misfire from my phottix triggers. Not one. They have been the complete opposite of finicky. If they got these flashes right, then I would expect similar results.

Mine have been rock solid as well. I haven't experienced the hot shoe cracking issue others have but see that as the only flaw. I'll be excited to see the new flashes and will probably pick a couple up and try them out.

Sep 17, 2013 at 01:38 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Phottix Mitros + Built in Radio Arrives! More Info 10/3

+3 on the Phottix reliability. Actually, I cannot think of one misfire in the two years I've been using them. Best $200 I've ever spent in flash paraphernalia. lol

Sep 17, 2013 at 01:59 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Phottix Mitros + Built in Radio Arrives! More Info 10/3

Literally the ONLY reason why I invested in the 600's was so that I could remotely control the manual power settings of my off camera flashes. If Phottix has a system that does that reliably for less money, then I am on board.

Sep 17, 2013 at 02:04 PM
g-money
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Phottix Mitros + Built in Radio Arrives! More Info 10/3

I have really wanted to buy into the Odin system, but I am afraid I would miss not having a flash on camera and the design of the Odin doesn't allow for a pass through like the new Pixel King Pro does which is menu driven as well. No doubt the Phottix has the better rep right now in the 3rd party game.

Sep 17, 2013 at 02:19 PM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Phottix Mitros + Built in Radio Arrives! More Info 10/3

joelconner wrote:
Literally the ONLY reason why I invested in the 600's was so that I could remotely control the manual power settings of my off camera flashes. If Phottix has a system that does that reliably for less money, then I am on board.

I came from the Yongnuo 622Cs and they perform this function. The problem is the interface is not as polished as it should be. It very much feels like ad "add-on" product while the 600EXs are a tightly integrated product. They perform admirably and are quite cheap. For the money ($90/set) I don't think they can be beat.

Sep 17, 2013 at 02:24 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Phottix Mitros + Built in Radio Arrives! More Info 10/3

deepbluejh wrote:
I came from the Yongnuo 622Cs and they perform this function.

I got the 622n for my D4 and D3s thinking that they wold be perfect. As it it turned out they were not compatifble with my Nikon bodies and would only work aobut 20% of the time. Was really bummed.

Sep 17, 2013 at 02:29 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Phottix Mitros + Built in Radio Arrives! More Info 10/3

More info on the Canon version today 9/18: http://photorumors.com/2013/09/18/phottix-announces-mitros-ttl-transceiver-flash-with-built-in-radio-trigger/#more-49486

Sep 18, 2013 at 03:03 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Phottix Mitros + Built in Radio Arrives! More Info 10/3

Canon version available in Oct and Nikon by the end of the year, all the info here: http://journal.phottix.com/photo-accessory-news/phottix-mitros-allinone-flash-trigger/#more-6626

Compatible with Strato II

Sep 18, 2013 at 08:09 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.