Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Aperture 3 - Interesting observations about libraries

NathanHamler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Aperture 3 - Interesting observations about libraries

So typically i keep all my photos in one library (with 4 backups, don't worry)...i work with raw files, then discard what i don't edit....last year's library is 266 gb, the one before that is 150 gb....well recently i got an internal SSD, so i decided to make a temporary "working" library on the system drive that i import to, edit from, and then export the project as a library and merge with my other library....so that way my edits are just that much faster working off the SSD....

So, earlier today i cleaned out that "working" library, exported all the projects i was done with, deleted them from the library, and then emptied the Aperture trash....then, of course, emptied the trash can within osX....

Well, the empty library sitting on the desktop with ZERO files in it, was still 5 gb. NOTHING in the library. But still 5 gb. So created a new library on the desktop, that was completely fresh...only 7.3 mb.

So how is it that when you delete stuff out of Aperture, it still hangs on to SOMETHING that makes the libraries huge?

Sep 17, 2013 at 02:40 AM
Lovesong
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Aperture 3 - Interesting observations about libraries

Previews are made and shared across the system to be used by things like iWork, Mail, and FinalCut. It's likely your 250GB library had a large number of previews. Try deleting those and seeing if that helps.

If that doesn't work, go to your library in Finder, right click, and select show package contents- you should be able to figure out where the 5GBs is, by just exploring the folder structure.

Hope this helps.

Sep 17, 2013 at 02:56 AM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Aperture 3 - Interesting observations about libraries

NathanHamler wrote:
Well, the empty library sitting on the desktop with ZERO files in it, was still 5 gb. NOTHING in the library. But still 5 gb. So created a new library on the desktop, that was completely fresh...only 7.3 mb.

Hi Nathan,

You've got my curiosity on this...just so I'm understanding this correctly, you Control Click the Library Icon to open up the Contextual Drop Down Menu and select Show Package Contents and you see nothing in there whatsoever, but, yet, the Get Info (Command I) for that Library still says 5 GB? If this is not the method you're using, I would be curious as to how you're making this determination?

Always looking to learn something new,
Jimmy G

Sep 17, 2013 at 03:05 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Aperture 3 - Interesting observations about libraries

Ok, figured out what it was.....i went back and recovered the library from time machine, did exactly the same steps in deleting the projects, then went back and found out there were like 300 photos in the rejects folder lol....i usually sort by "unrated" or "unrated or better" or "5 stars" and that's about it...i rarely reject images, these were from a huge time lapse i shot....so problem solved lol. Thanks anyway!

Sep 17, 2013 at 04:08 AM
jimmy462
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Aperture 3 - Interesting observations about libraries

Hi Nathan,

Glad to hear that you were able to hunt that one down, sometimes it's the anomalies that make life interesting. I've been monkeying around under-the-hood of OSX since Puma and like to keep my, uh, toolset up-to-date...thought we might have had something unusual going on here. Thanks for the insights!

Well, it's cleaner work than rebuilding carbs.
Jimmy G

Sep 17, 2013 at 12:55 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password