Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Israel----Dome of the Rock

Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Israel----Dome of the Rock

In the old part of Jerusalem.
Dome of the Rock

Jerusalem- Dome of the Rock

Dome of the Rock

Edited on Sep 19, 2013 at 02:37 AM · View previous versions

Sep 17, 2013 at 02:05 AM
Jefferson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Israel----Dome of the Rock

Nice shot from some of your travels... Will you go back when they rebuild the Temple... ?

Sep 18, 2013 at 08:27 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Israel----Dome of the Rock

Jefferson wrote:
Nice shot from some of your travels... Will you go back when they rebuild the Temple... ?

Not sure what you mean, Jefferson:
Have I misidentified the religious structure? (Is this the Dome of the Rock?) My labeling of the slides was done years after the fact- so that's a possibility.
Or has this building been destroyed?
Or are you trying to make a joke by calling it a "Temple?"
In any case, glad you like the shot.
No, my serious travel days are of the past.
Charlie

Sep 18, 2013 at 09:55 PM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Israel----Dome of the Rock

... "Al-Aqsa and Bayt al-Muqaddas, is the third holiest site in Islam and is located in the Old City of Jerusalem. The site on which the silver domed mosque sits, along with the Dome of the Rock, also referred to as al-Haram ash-Sharif or "Noble Sanctuary,"[2] is the Temple Mount, the holiest site in Judaism, the place where the Temple is generally accepted to have stood. Muslims believe that Muhammad was transported from the Sacred Mosque in Mecca to al-Aqsa during the Night Journey. Islamic tradition holds that Muhammad led prayers towards this site until the seventeenth month after the emigration, when God directed him to turn towards the Ka'aba."...

Sep 19, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Israel----Dome of the Rock

Jefferson wrote:
... "Al-Aqsa and Bayt al-Muqaddas, is the third holiest site in Islam and is located in the Old City of Jerusalem. The site on which the silver domed mosque sits, along with the Dome of the Rock, also referred to as al-Haram ash-Sharif or "Noble Sanctuary,"[2] is the Temple Mount, the holiest site in Judaism, the place where the Temple is generally accepted to have stood. Muslims believe that Muhammad was transported from the Sacred Mosque in Mecca to al-Aqsa during the Night Journey. Islamic tradition holds that Muhammad led prayers towards this site until the seventeenth month after the
...Show more

Yeah, I read that before I posted my reply.
Although interesting from a historical sense- it was of little help to me in answering my questions.
Seems you had the same response to it as I did.
Charlie

Okay- I've managed to get this and my next post all mixed up.
I'm trying to straighten it out.
For now- these are the two images of my NEXT post. I'm trying to find the one that was here originally.
Sorry for being so technically inept.
Charlie

I think I have it squared away...

Jerusalem- Dome of the Rock

Edited on Sep 19, 2013 at 03:06 AM · View previous versions

Sep 19, 2013 at 12:42 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Israel----Dome of the Rock

I wish to visit there someday, good post

Sep 19, 2013 at 02:38 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Israel----Dome of the Rock

Thanks, Ben.
From a religious pov and/or a historical pov, Jerusalem is of great interest to most serious travelers. And most of the interest is in the Old City, so getting around is simple. I took the bus from my hotel every morning, walked around all day, and returned at night.
Charlie

Sep 27, 2013 at 01:00 AM
rattymouse
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Israel----Dome of the Rock

Charlie,

Excellent photographs! Did you go into the Dome of the Rock? Infidels are no longer allowed in since the mid 90's. Perhaps you were lucky back then.

Regarding the temple comment above, the Jewish temple of the Bible was built on that platform and then rebuilt 2 more times. After the Romans tore it down, the Muslims built it into what it is today. The Jews wait for the day that they can re-build their temple, after their Messiah returns. So once the Messiah arrives, and the rebuilding starts, will you go back there to photograph it? That's the question above!

Don't hold your breath!

Sep 28, 2013 at 01:14 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Israel----Dome of the Rock

Glad you like the photos, Ratty, and thanks for the clarification.
I was lucky to do most of my foreign travels back in the days when the world was simpler, and restrictions fewer. And the only thing I worried about was being robbed. So I was always VERY careful, and never had a problem (except when my car was broken into in Paris and Rome).
But I never had a problem with the people of the countries I visited. In fact, in poor countries the people were as nice and friendly as anywhere else.
The "bad guys" in those countries were the thieves- not the average person. Same as everywhere else.
Although while in Tel Aviv in a small downtown park everyone was told to clear out. Someone had left a briefcase unattended. I watched as the bomb squad eased an explosive device next to it and blew it up.
Papers and pieces of the briefcase shot all over the place. It hadn't been a bomb, but the Israelis took everything like that very seriously.
Frankly, I've never been unhappy when security precautions were taken.
But there have been times when I was unhappy because they were NOT taken.
Charlie

Sep 28, 2013 at 02:41 AM
taran
• •
p.1 #10 · Israel----Dome of the Rock

Nicely framed, and a tough location to shoot now. Jerusalem is still very beautiful, photographically, a must on any photographers bucket list. Thanks for sharing.

Oct 01, 2013 at 03:45 PM
hk_mtbr
• • •
p.1 #11 · Israel----Dome of the Rock

Charlie Shugart wrote:
But I never had a problem with the people of the countries I visited. In fact, in poor countries the people were as nice and friendly as anywhere else.
The "bad guys" in those countries were the thieves- not the average person. Same as everywhere else.

But there have been times when I was unhappy because they were NOT taken.
Charlie

^^ This...the people and the security.

I like these Charlie. And the sundial works too :-)

I like seeing all your photos/travels... although I rarely comment..it isn't personal. I just usually don't feel the need (or energy :-) ) sometimes to add my "like it too".

I haven't been to nearly as many places as you've been...but you make me feel the call of the road - again. I don't know what took you to all these places but you've been blessed with the opportunity...we are all glad you took it.

Keep em coming and thanks.

Oct 01, 2013 at 04:31 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password