Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Small backpack for a Pro camera

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Small backpack for a Pro camera

I currently have a great little camera bag the Lowepro Microtrekker 200 (no longer made). You can get a ton of stuff in the little kit and it's ideal for travel and day trips. However, the one problem I have is it won't take a pro camera or camera with a grip attached. I'm really struggling to find anything of comparable size that is just and inch or so deeper. I don't actually mind in the bag is a bit smaller and can take less gear, but as long as it can take a 1 series camera, say 70-200 f/2.8, a flash and one or two other smaller lenses, etc and has a few pockets for filters etc, then that's fine.

Any suggestions as I'd assume plenty of people with pro or gripped cameras. I should say I have small shoulder bag that can take a 1 series and a lens and flash say, but I dislike shoulder bags in general and want a backpack (normal or sling type).

Sep 17, 2013 at 01:30 AM
dgdg
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Small backpack for a Pro camera

What about F-stop bags? I know they seem pricey, but they are very nice and have a variety of sizes.

Sep 17, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Small backpack for a Pro camera

dgdg wrote:
What about F-stop bags? I know they seem pricey, but they are very nice and have a variety of sizes.

Thanks, I'll check them out.

Sep 18, 2013 at 06:45 AM
doogie2304
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Small backpack for a Pro camera

do you want to have a lens attached to the camera whilst it's in the bag? for years i searched for a bag/backpack that could take 1-series bodies with a lens attached, and the only ones that could (eg. lowepro vertex 200) weighed a ton.

this was an endless source of frustration for me until i came to the conclusion that i either had the camera with lens attached out and ready to shoot, or if it was going in the bag, the lens could come off. i then bought the think tank photo 'shapeshifter', and it has been fantastic!

i can fit 2 x 1-series bodies, a 70-210, and 2-3 other lenses, filters etc and still not have to use the 'expanding' feature, which makes it a very slim, low profile backpack. if you need to carry more gear, you simply undo one zipper and it swallows a whole lot more. and it's really light!

regards, douglas

Sep 18, 2013 at 09:14 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Small backpack for a Pro camera

Hi Doug, no requirement for lens to be attached and light is good. Even my large bags are very light 2kg max.

I'll look at the think tank more closely.

I've found a couple of Lowepros that might fit the bill such as Flipside Sport 15L, although I don't need the hydration unit, and the slingshot 202 AW.

Cheers

Sep 19, 2013 at 01:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

pipspeak
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Small backpack for a Pro camera

I just bought an F-Stop Guru with a medium sloped ICU and it fits a pro body with 70-200 attached plus a couple other lenses just fine. That ICU is the largest that will fit in the Guru

Sep 19, 2013 at 01:38 AM
smoothlander

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Small backpack for a Pro camera

I've had good luck with my Kata LighTri-315. A small backpack/slingpack that holds my 5Diii with a 70-200mm attached (yes....it is a little snug) When I'm walking around the city or hiking, I can sling it over my back, attach the chest strap to distribute the weight and then have easy access to my camera without having to take the pack off. It will also hold another lens or maybe a flash unit.

Sep 22, 2013 at 06:39 PM
Stephen Elms
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Small backpack for a Pro camera

I too have an F-Stop bag (Satori EXP) and as much as I love the bag, the company can be a pain to deal with (although my experience was not totally negative). It can be next to impossible to order items as much of their stuff is on backorder (there are numerous complaints about people waiting several months for gear). But the bag itself is rock solid and perfect for what I needed it for (room for all my camera gear plus room for food, water, jacket, etc).

Sep 23, 2013 at 07:32 PM
3iron
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Small backpack for a Pro camera

Just got an F stop Tilopa and 3 ICU,s. The company was great to work with. Told me they were out of the Medium ICU and it would be in in 5 days. It was and I received the Tilopa. Bag is great, good storage, safe for lenses, seems perfect for my needs.

Sep 24, 2013 at 02:16 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Small backpack for a Pro camera

doogie2304 wrote:
do you want to have a lens attached to the camera whilst it's in the bag? for years i searched for a bag/backpack that could take 1-series bodies with a lens attached, and the only ones that could (eg. lowepro vertex 200) weighed a ton.

this was an endless source of frustration for me until i came to the conclusion that i either had the camera with lens attached out and ready to shoot, or if it was going in the bag, the lens could come off. i then bought the think tank photo 'shapeshifter', and it has been fantastic!

i can
...Show more

For years you searched for a bag/backpack that could take 1-series bodies with a lens attached You are kidding for sure I have more than ten bags/backpacks that can do that. Including the smaller Vertex 100 backpack. And there exist hundreds others in about every brand.

Sep 24, 2013 at 07:01 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password