Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · I need a tripod what do you recomend?

lesgage
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I need a tripod what do you recomend?

I have a Gimbel head and a 500mm lens, what tripod would you recommend? something as light as possible, but very sturdy? Thanks for responding
Les

Sep 16, 2013 at 03:14 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I need a tripod what do you recomend?

If you're looking for a tripod, don't listen to those spam emails or pills that claim to give you one; some of us are just blessed, others less so. Be happy with what you have!!

Sep 16, 2013 at 03:43 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I need a tripod what do you recomend?

Les, a Gitzo 3 series would do you fine. There are leg options for you to choose from. Once you go gitzo, your search is over.

Sep 16, 2013 at 05:09 PM
lesgage
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I need a tripod what do you recomend?

thank you, I will go look at them now...
Les

Sep 16, 2013 at 07:39 PM
StarNut
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I need a tripod what do you recomend?

Jeffrey wrote:
Les, a Gitzo 3 series would do you fine. There are leg options for you to choose from. Once you go gitzo, your search is over.

+1

I'm no expert, but in your shoes I looked at the extensive selection at a local (high quality, large) store, and bought a Gitzo 3541LS (I'm tall). I use it for, among other things, BIF with a 500/4 on a gimbal head, and it's excellent.

You pay a lot for Gitzo, but I find that it's worth it (enough so that, when looking for a very small, light tripod for hiking, I bought a Gitzo also).

Mark

Sep 16, 2013 at 07:55 PM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I need a tripod what do you recomend?

RRS http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=TVC-34L

Gitzo 3 series weight, and 5 series load capacity.

Sep 16, 2013 at 08:20 PM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I need a tripod what do you recomend?

Sep 16, 2013 at 08:41 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I need a tripod what do you recomend?

+1 for the Gitzo 3542LS.

I use the 3542LS with the Canon 500mm f4 IS and 1Dx along with a Wimberley II Gimbal head. The load capacity of the Gitzo is 50+ lbs and the new Gitzos have a better safety/locking system. The four section or 3532LS are very sturdy and one of the features of the four section Gitzo's is that the tripod folds up smaller than the 3 section.

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I need a tripod what do you recomend?

A Gitzo Systematic series 3 or 4 tripod.

Sep 17, 2013 at 12:08 AM
ins1355

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I need a tripod what do you recomend?

thedutt wrote:

I have owned the Gitzo 3 series and now have the RRS . I sold the Gitzo.

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:07 AM
AmIgone
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I need a tripod what do you recomend?

I went the RRS TVC-33 route. RRS or Gitzo, both are very good. I don’t think you’d be disappointed choosing either one.

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I need a tripod what do you recomend?

thedutt wrote:

Not according to RRS and Gitzo

TVC 34L load capacity = 23 kg
Gitzo series 5 load capacity = 40 kg

Both tripods will work good for his lens. But the Gitzo series 5 is a bit more stable and also have a much higher load capacity. It's also more heavy of course.

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:49 AM
mitesh
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · I need a tripod what do you recomend?

I'll agree with Lars. I had the 5541 and used it with a 600/4. I now have and use TVC-34L. Both solid, but 5541 was beefier and felt just unmovable.

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Papathanassiou
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · I need a tripod what do you recomend?

TVC 34L load capacity = 23 kg
Gitzo series 5 load capacity = 40 kg

Both tripods will work good for his lens. But the Gitzo series 5 is a bit more stable and also have a much higher load capacity. It's also more heavy of course.

What Lars said, he is the man on tripods! I took his advice on one and never looked back!

Sep 17, 2013 at 02:32 PM
secondclaw
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · I need a tripod what do you recomend?

Gitzo 3 is great and stable, but if you plan to shoot a lot in sandy places like beaches and deserts, get a flip-lock tripod - like a Manfrotto PRO series. I'm still trying to clean the sand out of the twist-lock threads on my Gitzo. By the way I removed the center column on the my series 3 - a bit more stability and slightly lighter.

Sep 18, 2013 at 01:59 PM
Kolor-Pikker
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · I need a tripod what do you recomend?

Maybe Gitzo 4 series instead? It has the smaller head of the 3 series but the wider tubes of the 5 series. Check out this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/846215-REG/Gitzo_GT4542LS_GT4542LS_6x_4_SECTION_SYSTEMATIC.html

Once you go past the series 3 tripods, there is little penalty in choosing a 4/5 section tripod over a 3 sectioner, you just get the benefit of shorter fold length and bigger max height.

The RRS tripod is great, if you want to wait a couple of weeks till it gets to your door, and don't mind it's outrageously shiny exterior. If you're going to be shooting wildlife, you're going to need to camo this clown up.

secondclaw wrote:
Gitzo 3 is great and stable, but if you plan to shoot a lot in sandy places like beaches and deserts, get a flip-lock tripod - like a Manfrotto PRO series. I'm still trying to clean the sand out of the twist-lock threads on my Gitzo. By the way I removed the center column on the my series 3 - a bit more stability and slightly lighter.

If you're gonna go dipping your tripod in ocean water, you probably want the Gitzo Ocean tripods that are made for just that, expensive as all hell, but at least you won't ever think twice about where you're setting up again.

Sep 18, 2013 at 02:36 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.