New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · EF-M dilemma

DK78

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · EF-M dilemma

Hi,
For a month or two I'm using EOS M + 22mm - darn sharp combination compared to my T2i+28/1.8.
It won't completely replace my T2i though, as sometimes is pretty slow and cumbersome to operate BUT here the dilemma:
The story of my faulty 10-22 has ended by selling it to the local repair center (lost about 200$), at the same time my "precious" kit lens' AF went kaput.
So I need a UW zoom or may be a good walkaround lens will satisfy for now. But I'm not completely sure in which system I should invest my humble funds -
EF-M 11-22mm looks good and the price is compelling, EF-M 18-55 seems to be a bit sharper than the EF-S counterpart. So I'm torn between EF-M and EF-S lens options, what would you suggest?
Thanks!

Sep 16, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · EF-M dilemma

get the M for the UWA and the 17-55 for the T2i

Sep 16, 2013 at 10:26 AM
nads
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · EF-M dilemma

I'm planning on moving to the 11-22 ef-m myself for 2 reasons. 1). Size. 2). I believe that most of the drawbacks associated with the eos-m performance are of minimal impact to my own past ultra wide shooting.

Price and IS are also supporting factors. I've purchased most of my cameras used or refurbished. If a new eos-m of improved performance is announced it will likely be my first preordered body. I may eventually jump back into 4/3 if a new eos-m doesn't come down the pipeline. That is my only reservation to ordering the 11-22 right now. (That and it wasn't in stock at vistek last time I loomed.

Sep 16, 2013 at 10:27 AM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · EF-M dilemma

The 11-22 is a really nice lens. I think the EOS-M and 11-22 is sharper than my 7D and Tokina 11-16 was. If you are concerned the M won't meet your needs just remember there is a very good chance they will be releasing an update before the end of the year. Or so says Canon Rumors.

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:02 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · EF-M dilemma

I have ef-m 11-22, 22, and 18-55 and EOS-M [and 7d, 5d2,5d3]. The drawbacks of EF-M are:
1) EOS-M does not have a proper remote shutter release. You have to use front infared with 2 s delay.
2) The EOS-M automatically resets AEB-bracketing after turning off.
However, the price is right and you can live this these features and the camera is pretty good.

Personally I am not a big fan of crop bodies except for EOS-M (for hiking) and reach (for wildlife) because way lower resolution, way worse iso performance, and wides are not wide.

If you are really serious - buy the ES-M 11-22 (then you have a good walk about /hiking lens) and save for a 6d (ff) [or 5d2 $1000] . 6d yields:
50% more resolving capability
1.5 stops ISO performance

Why spend more on ef-s lens that will limit you in the future.

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:03 AM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · EF-M dilemma

If you are on a budget, the EF-M 18-55mm STM lens for the M seems like a logical purchase. They are available for $150 (I paid $128 for mine). I don't see any problem also picking up the EF-S 18-55mm STM for the T2i. The real question is the wide angle. Here I would wait a while longer until Canon tips their hand on the future of the EOS M. If they come out with some attractive bodies and plans, I would probably go with the EF-M 11-22mm IS. But, if you are really on a tight budget you can use these kit lenses for your wide angle requirements and just hold off on the purchase.

Sep 16, 2013 at 03:21 PM
DK78

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · EF-M dilemma

Thanks everyone for the input!

My initial plan for T2i was to add the UW 10-22 to my "normal" 28mm prime than add a 85 or 100mm prime for portraits/tele shots. But this little M beast just ruined all my plans
I also though about I'll probably wait for the future M announcements. Till then cheap EF-S/EF-M kit lens seems like a good idea.
Regarding FF - that's the reason I didn't invest much in EF-S, moving to FF is always on my mind

Sep 17, 2013 at 06:54 AM
deepbluejh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · EF-M dilemma

I love the idea of the 11-22, but wish it wasn't so expensive. I guess the body and other lenses in that system kind of spoil me.

Sep 17, 2013 at 09:33 AM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · EF-M dilemma

Similar thought here. $299 for the M/22mm and $128 for the M 18-55 lens. Now the M11-22 IS for $399 seems high. But compared to the price of the EFS 10-22 or Tokina 11-16, it's a bargain, with IS included. I have a 11-22 on order from Canada. The M has nice features for landscape, still shots, and video, but moving targets (grandkids) are tough.

Steve

Sep 17, 2013 at 05:14 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.