FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Carrying Case Comparison with Pics

Nikon_14
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Carrying Case Comparison with Pics

Here's pics of how different cases compare.

#1 is the Pelican 1510. It holds the 4 LumoPro 160, gels, memory cards, painter's tape, AA batteries (each of the yellow holds 4 AA), light modifiers, 1 PW & everything else I use for lighting a reception hall. The outside is really tough. But the dividers inside are somewhat thin, as you'll see shortly.

#2 is a TT International which holds 2 x D700 (1 empty slot), a 70-200mm f/2.8, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4, Nikkor 50mm f/1.4, Nikkor 105mm macro, 24-70 (blank space), 14-24 (blank space), 16 AA batteries in the triangle seen in #6/7 between the 70-200, Sigma lenses, cards, caps, other stuff. VERY good at protecting the contents with thick dividers.

#3 is a Lowepro Flipside 300 which carries 3 SB-910, 1 SB-700 (seen peeking out at the top), a video light (between the $20 & the SB-910's) & 2 grids (either side of the video light). 2 video light batteries are in a pocket on the grey lid w/ orange zipper pull on camera RH. It's great because it only opens from next to your back. So a thief can't access the contents if you're wearing it.

The Pelican is so tough on the outside that you can use it as a stepladder. And it's main divider is pretty firm, as seen in #4/5. But #6/7 illustrate a big advantage of the TT International- ALL the dividers are firm.

IMHO, over the long haul, as in driving several hours to cover events, this means less jostling around of lenses, bodies, flashes, etc. Again, IMHO, this translates to longer life for gear. Others may disagree- we'll still be friends, I hope.

#1- Pelican 1510 w/ 4 LumoPro 160, other stuff

#2- Think Tank International w/ 2 bodies, lenses, other stuff

#3- Lowepro Flipside 300 w/ 3 SB-910, 1 SB-700, video light, 2 grids

#4- Pelican walls

#5- Pelican walls

Edited on Sep 16, 2013 at 09:50 AM · View previous versions

Sep 16, 2013 at 09:44 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Carrying Case Comparison with Pics

Think Tank International internal dividers.

Sep 16, 2013 at 09:49 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Carrying Case Comparison with Pics

I have the Pelican 1510 too. I find that the dividers are more than adequate. I actually like that they are not thick and stiff because it allows a bit of flexibility. I don't see what the benefit would be if they were any thicker because the gear is divided nicely and is well protected. Though maybe I would feel different if I used others that were different.

I often use it as a stepping tool because it's a really tough case. No complaints after 5 years of constant use.

Sep 16, 2013 at 10:16 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.