Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · OR State @ Utah: NCAAFB

Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · OR State @ Utah: NCAAFB

First Pac-12 action for both teams. Doozy of a game with Utah playing from behind for most of the game, then going ahead by 1 with a few minutes left, then giving up a touchdown drive and a 2-point conversion to go down by 7, then driving to tie it with about 21 seconds left (at least that's how I remember it happening ). Unfortunately for Utah, their momentum didn't carry into overtime and Oregon State won 51-48. Oregon State has a QB (Sean Mannion) and wide receiver (Brandin Cooks) that are the real deal. But I've got to find a way to cover football that isn't so physically exhausting. This game started at 8:00 and ended after midnight.

Okay, here are 11 images for C&C.

1. I could spend hours shooting this stuff. But I wonder what kind of rules are in place to protect the well-being of these athletes.

3. These guys caught everything.

6. Oregon State's head coach saw my 400 pointed at his mug and I'm glad this was his reaction rather than throwing his headset at me.

7. The kind of thing you never want to see, where they didn't even turn him onto his back until they had the board in place. Pretty sure he's fine and was able to travel home with the team.

8. This kid's got riches in his future.

11. Game winning catch by Cooks, who bobbled it as he spun around, then found the handle as he fell to the ground in the end zone.

Sep 16, 2013 at 05:13 AM
ian408
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · OR State @ Utah: NCAAFB

Especially like the last one.

Sep 16, 2013 at 10:38 AM
Marty Bingham
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · OR State @ Utah: NCAAFB

Especially like the first one.

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Aqualung
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · OR State @ Utah: NCAAFB

2 & 3 for me Russ, wonderful crisp colors and WB...along w/ the action of course.

Chris

Sep 16, 2013 at 12:36 PM
corvus
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · OR State @ Utah: NCAAFB

I really like 6, 8, 10, and 11. I learn something every time I look at your posts!

Ron (corvus)

Sep 16, 2013 at 12:43 PM
mmcatee
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · OR State @ Utah: NCAAFB

Great stuff Russ and the catch in #11 is fantastic

Sep 16, 2013 at 01:08 PM
Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · OR State @ Utah: NCAAFB

Russ... you've gotta stop posting so many awesome shots. This is probably my favorite football set I've seen anywhere in a long time. Great job.

And, Oregon State's new uniforms are my favorite uniforms this year.

Sep 16, 2013 at 04:15 PM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · OR State @ Utah: NCAAFB

those are awesome...I just had my P&S , and sorry...couldn't resist

if you cover a Duck game and shoot DeAnthony Thomas, leave the D600 at home...1/4000th ain't going to cut it

Sep 16, 2013 at 05:02 PM
TSpyers
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · OR State @ Utah: NCAAFB

Russ -- great set! Really liking the concentration in #3. Great colors and they all "POP". Thanks for sharing!

Tim

Sep 16, 2013 at 05:06 PM
mdalby
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · OR State @ Utah: NCAAFB

Russ, just an awesome job. I don't know how you caught #3 with the 400mm. Were you keying on that WR the whole play?

Love your work!

MD

Sep 16, 2013 at 06:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · OR State @ Utah: NCAAFB

Thanks to all for your comments. They are much appreciated.

Ian, Marty, Chris, Ron, Mike and Tim: Thanks for your picks.

Jeff: Mighty kind words....thank you.

kell: Must have been a blast.

Mark: Good question. I knew I wasn't keying on the WR but I couldn't recall exactly how this one had played out. So I went back to the images and here's a post of an 18-shot sequence. I was behind the line of scrimmage, focused on the QB. When he let it go, I panned for the receiver. The entire sequence lasted 5 seconds. 2 seconds between the last shot of the QB and the first shot of the receiver/defender. Thanks for the question. I learned something from it! (And you really do have to wonder where the hell the other 20 players are!)

And lest anyone think this is a fine example of spray-and-pray, keep in mind that the 1Dx should be capable of approximately 60 frames in 5 seconds, so 18 is relatively tame.

Sep 16, 2013 at 09:21 PM
TSpyers
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · OR State @ Utah: NCAAFB

Russ Isabella wrote:
And lest anyone think this is a fine example of spray-and-pray, keep in mind that the 1Dx should be capable of approximately 60 frames in 5 seconds, so 18 is relatively tame.

+1 to that Russ!

Tim

Sep 17, 2013 at 12:36 AM
jmcaverly
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · OR State @ Utah: NCAAFB

Another fine group of photos. The last one rocks.

Jeff

Sep 17, 2013 at 02:04 AM
TheDoc65
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · OR State @ Utah: NCAAFB

Nice Russ.

Sep 17, 2013 at 05:40 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · OR State @ Utah: NCAAFB

Tim:

Thanks, Jeff.

Damon: Thanks. Enjoyed your Cal v Ohio State images.

Sep 17, 2013 at 02:14 PM
rhole
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · OR State @ Utah: NCAAFB

Just great set of pictures. Love number 3 of course - I may crop it tighter but by the sequence, perhaps the pixels are not there, and # 11 is a killer, but the ambulance shot is the most powerful of the set to me.

He was released from hospital on Saturday and is back in Oregon.

Sep 19, 2013 at 04:12 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · OR State @ Utah: NCAAFB

Thanks, Ron. Hate seeing the kind of injury depicted in #11. Glad to know he's out of the hospital and back in Oregon.

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:05 AM
mmcatee
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · OR State @ Utah: NCAAFB

Russ being able to "follow the play is the key to getting those special shots and your example is perfect. A lot of folks don't know how hard this can be sometimes.

Sep 20, 2013 at 12:14 AM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · OR State @ Utah: NCAAFB

Great sequence. It's is good for many of us to study the images but the batch of shots is helpful too. With such a crop on 3, how big could you print that and be happy?

Sep 20, 2013 at 04:21 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · OR State @ Utah: NCAAFB

I agree Mike. Thanks.

Thanks, Andy. You raise a good question and I honestly don't know the answer since I very rarely print. I have little doubt an 8x10 would be fine. Beyond that I couldn't say.

Sep 21, 2013 at 01:19 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password